7.0 in a 78 40 with tube body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1978freebornred

78 fj40 LE and 79 fj40 LE w/ stock ac
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I picked up a bored and camed 366 truck block (was told it was a 427 which it does have corvette headers so I thought maybe. but turned out to be a 427 cam a 366 truck block with shaved heads and other aftermarket parts) for a couple hundred when my 2f blew I'm mid resto-MOD got it mounted and ill show some pictures to get some opinions on mounting. Its got a nv4500 installed and tcase saver and power steering bracket from George @ valley hybrids on the way... I also stretched the frame 20" between the wheels and 10" after the rear wheels so ill have a bumper to step on. Body is 24" stretch. I have to do some flat steel and plan to do a bolt -able top where I can have a soft top or hard top with what I have; and stretch and bump up the hard top. I plan on filling the hole in the hard top with an ambulance door pair that was butchered when I bought it. Drive train is about 4.5 degree sloping down towards rear. wheelbase is 110"

IMG_20130901_123301_104.jpg

IMG_20130901_123703_673.jpg

IMG_20130901_123333_254.jpg

IMG_20130901_123601_344.jpg

IMG_20130901_123437_655.jpg

Last edited:
the motor is about 3 and a half inches at the distributor and 3/4 to 1" from radiator with stock fan. about 10" (9 7/8") from shock tower.... about 3/4 to driver's side and the valve cover and heads are about 1 1/8"-1 1/4" from the firewall do I need to modify the firewall where it is close?

and before the stretch and drivetrain swap had to get everything square so got a few picks of that. for ya'll

2013-02-06_08-42-58_879.jpg

IMG_20130901_123453_913.jpg

IMG_20130901_123619_346.jpg

2013-02-06_08-42-15_723.jpg

2013-02-06_08-42-45_429.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for being different..... try the summit aluminum/ cheep chevy radiators they fit between the fender wells, and a tauras fan... you are going to need all the cooling you can get.. I can get you the part number off mine if you what PM me to remind me.. 366 motors go for ever, not alot of HP but uber reliable...

366 motors go for ever, not alot of HP but uber reliable...

And torquey as hell. Probably the only thing with more low-end grunt than a 2f as long as it doesn't have a silly cam in it.

If it really has some desirable heads, you might consider selling them to an enthusiast on ebay and find a used set of Edelbrock aluminum heads or something that would be lighter. You could easily lose 75lbs off the front end.

I've heard bad things happen with aluminum radiators and cast iron heads. Mainly for the radiators. If I decide to change the heads to aluminum then maybe, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm usually the type to just leave it be until it breaks, basically I don't want to see an engine tear down in my future... I'm pretty much anti Ford parts unless its their v8 or diesel stuff, heard its a good mod but I've had good luck with mechanical fans less chance of electrical gremlins. and the 7 blade fans are supposed to be good with a shroud I hear but we will find out. :)

we have a 366 tall deck in our mega truck and it spins all 4 23 inch wide ag tires with no problem .thats with 2 transfer cases in low and 5 ton rocks and after a few years of hard use just keeps going.by the way nice build

I've heard bad things happen with aluminum radiators and cast iron heads. Mainly for the radiators. If I decide to change the heads to aluminum then maybe, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm usually the type to just leave it be until it breaks, basically I don't want to see an engine tear down in my future... I'm pretty much anti Ford parts unless its their v8 or diesel stuff, heard its a good mod but I've had good luck with mechanical fans less chance of electrical gremlins. and the 7 blade fans are supposed to be good with a shroud I hear but we will find out. :)

A good chunk of modern motors have al radiators and Iron heads. I would not be concerned.

I hope the truck has plenty of radiator to cool the BB.

nv4500 guys I am triing to get it shifting so I can start wiring it to get it running, The trans wont go into gear at all the shifter seems to be in neutral. I took off the top and relined the rods in the top now the top wont bolt back on. are the arms out of alignment? have bled the slave and Im using AA setup. pictures to come but its negative degrees outside today.

Any suggestions to how to fix the steering shaft? special u-joint ? any thoughts on why nv4500 wont shift? and on colors Im thinking the pyrite mica or the new fj cruiser blue...stock red fades to pink, pink truck is not so cool.
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

You can space the steering shaft out with a carrier bearing or rod end appropriately sized.

Like this
100_0523.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom