Cheap infinitely height-adjustable leg / support / outrigger for trailer, RTT etc... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
been wanting to work out a cheap support system for my trailer and for my RTT . Needed to be easily adjustable in height. Had to be strong versatile and cheap.

Ended up with the following that is very simple, no work, and very cheap.

I used a Pony Pipe clamp. For those who don't know it's this:

http://www.justclamps.com/pipe_clamps.htm

A must have in any shop. Very cheap. Have them at Home Depot.

Note the sliding piece on the top item. That's the one I used. I has a clutch pack that allows it to dig in the support pipe at any location.

So you just need to buy a piece of pipe. Cheap. like $10 for 8' or something like that. I'd go 3/4". So you just need to slide the part on the pipe up until you are hitting the thing you want to support (trailer bed, corner of your RTT etc), and if there is some weight on it, it'll just stay there.

In my trailer case, I added a eyebolt to keep the piece more securely in place. But may not be needed.

It would work great on one of the roof top tents like the CTT where supporting the corner might be desirable with high loads. Need to carry the pipe of course but fairly easy to stash away. Heavy in steel, may want Aluminium but more expensive.

And you get to use it as a real clamp when needed in the shop...

Pics of my trailer outrigger (to stop trailer from moving when in the RTT):

added: for long ones, if weight is a problem you might want to try 1/2", but check for buckling...?
DSC00749.JPG
DSC00750.JPG

Last edited:
been wanting to work out a cheap support system for my trailer and for my RTT . Needed to be easily adjustable in height. Had to be strong versatile and cheap.

Ended up with the following that is very simple, no work, and very cheap.

I used a Pony Pipe clamp. For those who don't know it's this:

http://www.justclamps.com/pipe_clamps.htm

A must have in any shop. Very cheap. Have them at Home Depot.

Note the sliding piece on the top item. That's the one I used. I has a clutch pack that allows it to dig in the support pipe at any location.

So you just need to buy a piece of pipe. Cheap. like $10 for 8' or something like that. I'd go 3/4". So you just need to slide the part on the pipe up until you are hitting the thing you want to support (trailer bed, corner of your RTT etc), and if there is some weight on it, it'll just stay there.

In my trailer case, I added a eyebolt to keep the piece more securely in place. But may not be needed.

It would work great on one of the roof top tents like the CTT where supporting the corner might be desirable with high loads. Need to carry the pipe of course but fairly easy to stash away. Heavy in steel, may want Aluminium but more expensive.

And you get to use it as a real clamp when needed in the shop...

Pics of my trailer outrigger (to stop trailer from moving when in the RTT):

Clever...really clever! Good job :beer:

:rolleyes:

RTT = CTT

:flipoff2:

no, a CTT is a particular model of RTT...! :) As well you should know, since you have begun to advertise widely their web site..... (and so are 289 mudders now days, including me...) Actually, I'm working on changing my advert to a MUD one....

Very trick but I question how much load this will hold. Any thoughts.

ksl

no, a CTT is a particular model of RTT...! :) As well you should know, since you have begun to advertise widely their web site..... (and so are 289 mudders now days, including me...) Actually, I'm working on changing my advert to a MUD one....

CTT happens to be a brand, but it's also a term I've seen to refer to RTTs.

Last edited:
Very trick but I question how much load this will hold. Any thoughts.

ksl

I think it will hold a very big amount of weight vertically. Doesn't look like like the slider would slip or the clutch pack would let go. When I tried it with my trailer I put pressure on it by raising the front with the 3rd wheel and I could see it starting to dig in the pipe. Vertically, a 3/4" steel pipe should hold more weight than you can throw at it if it doesn't buckle which it would not if short enough. Buckling I don't think is an issue for the kind of applications / weight I'm talking about here.
OTOH, stability of the gizmo may be an issue. If you have a 7' pipe sticking up to the corner of your RTT and not held by anything, it may well slip sideways fairly easily. Don't know yet. But could add something to hold it there.
As an outrigger for my trailer it works great and I'm not concerned one bit about it letting go.

but then again, I've been wrong before.... :)

to quote the Guiness ad guys...

BRILLIANT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom