Shimming LSD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I have a detroit locker in the rear and a LSD in the front of my BJ73 Cruiser. I have been reading the forum and want to find out more about shimming the LSD. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

morning "water lover",
pulll the LSD apart then sand blast the discs for better friction. when reassembling then i put about 2mm of spacer behind the clutch retaining (mushroom) this puts more pressure on the spring thus effectively puts more friction on the clutches.
do not expect it to change into a locker but the limited ship will still increase your traction but will let go before the birfeild does...
cheers

Thanks for the info crushers. I wish that Niblik fellow would get his own lockers sorted before giving me any :censor: !!!!!

for me a little slippage is better than changing a birfeild in the field... dirty greasy job...

I think most people who use their Cruiser for what nature intended will have been there!!!! I know I have........Twice so far. Now i carry a spare ($75NZ aftermarket) Its not just the grease either. Nothing worse than changing a Birfield after trying to get through a muddy boghole!

Shim Thickness

Wayne,

i'm doing the shimm thing now to a LSD i have picked up for the front of the BJ71.

You said above that a 2mm shim would do, but i have been doing a search a found anouther post where you recommended a 3/16 washer. Can you please confirm which it is.

I have the LSD split on the bench at the moment and am just trying to find an appropriate washer

Thanks Heaps

Tony

the ones i used were about 3/16". in my mind i messed up when the above was posted, if you will notice i posted at 3 AM...
the goal is to tighten up the tolerances to make the LSD work harder before slipping...
sorry

Cheers Wayne.

This should keep me busy for a few hours tonight :)

Can you post some pics mate?
Im looking at doing this shortly.
Let us know how it goes
Brad

NZBJ71 said:
Cheers Wayne.

This should keep me busy for a few hours tonight :)
make sure you sand blast the discs for more friction surface... and still use the additive when refilling the unit.
oh, and it is still a limited slip, it is NOT a locker.

crushers said:
for me a little slippage is better than changing a birfeild in the field... dirty greasy job...

wucatelas ! hahahahaha I hate the bierfield ( off road ) change process .. in fact I always pay for this job .. repac, front axle bearings etc ..

LSD inards

Brad, you ask for some pics of the LSD.

Just got to put it back into the carrier now.

Tony
Cruiser LSD 002.jpg
Cruiser LSD 004.jpg
Cruiser LSD 005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom