Grandpa's 1973 FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MicahMan

TLCA 20925
Threads
I'm so happy to be posting this! Don't worry I'm ready for the new guys "Welcomes" and hazing, but this represents the culmination of so much. When I was a Kid I learned to drive in an old FJ 40. It was my Grandpas. He bought it from a kid that rolled it will less than 2000 miles. this was in October of 1972, the Model was a '73 so it was almost brand spanking. He drove it for 25 years and then sold it to his neighbor who in turn gave it to his son. After a little bit of tinkering it ended up in a horse corral for almost 10 years until I was able to track it down. With a little bit of elbow grease and a few hours of brake, electrical, tune ups, adjustments, carb rebuilds, suspension sag, surface rust, and all of what makes owning a 40 fun I got it to pass safety and emissions (Which sucks here in Utah). So I now have my new daily driver and couldn't be happier! Lots of plans in the works suspension and such, but right now I need to get the heater kicking out more air cause its cold here in UTah! So any tips are welcome, and tricks would be great, and anyone in the area who knows someone who can work on these I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again and I'm proud to say that I Hate Mud too!
1292554491663.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to Mud!

What a great story! My 40 was also my Grandfather's. It took quite a bit of work to get it to where it is now, but it was completely worth it! If you are interested, you can check out my ROTW in my sig line. Good luck with your project!

:cheers:

There is a guy in Salt Lake named Dave who runs a business called Cruiser Engineering. He will teach you how to work on your rig (whereas most mechanics don't want you around for reasons I still can't totally understand). Basically, you pay his shop rate, work with him, and he talks your ear off. You kind of have to work on his schedule and do things his way, but there's a lot in his brain. Might get you off to a start.

Cruiser Engineering
63 S 400 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
801-328-0910

Personally, I would buy a Haynes manuel and just struggle through it. That's what MUD is for. Much cheaper and more rewarding that way. It's fantastic that you have your Grandpa's rig. Congrats!

More Photos

I've got more pics of me just getting back from the DMV with Plates. I have to wait for my Utah State one that Say '73 FJ! I'll get those on here once I do my lift.

Thanks for the Kudos! I'll check out Dave and we'll get to the bottoms of things. I found a Haynes Manual on Amazon for Cheap so I'll start there too!

Thanks Again!

search for the heater rebuild thread. order the kit from ebay or here on mud. you will be surprised how much crap comes out of your heater coil , and off of it.

...but right now I need to get the heater kicking out more air cause its cold here in UTah!
Well, you ARE standing around in shorts and a t-shirt, no wonder you're cold! Welcome to mud:D

Welcome and congratulations !! Do you have any "back in the day" pics ? Those are always cool !:cheers:

Great Story I Love the history between Cruisers and Family. Welcome to Mud Please post anything you need in the wanted section and maybe we can help you keep you dream going. Again great Story

Grampas rig

Nice story.Cruisers are pretty basic to work on if you have the right tools ,a little patience ,a manual or two and a buddy to help.Take your time ,get it right mechanically first.Maybe your heater just needs a good reverse flushing or two??

Update!!!!

IMG_20110102_200753.jpg

1292554511714.jpg

1292554510071.jpg So I have been doing some work and now need some help!

I know everyone likes photos from back in the day so here is a photo of me about 3 years old on Grandpa's cruiser. This is why I love it so much!!!!

So I installed some bigger shackles to squeeze 33s, and did some other small work.
New clutch master adn slave, tons of hacking out old wiring.

I know I'll take crap for this but will never be selling this so I had to get the personalized license plate. Go Aggies!!!!!!:D

I also installed a pertronix point eliminator kit, but I'm an idiot and put the wrong coil in so it fried both of them:doh:. I want to know if I should go ahead and drop the money on a DUI distributor, or if I should try to put another pertronix kit.
I still have the old F motor and am not looking to change too much, but at the same time I'm not worried about the stock look.

Help from the mudders would be great!

Next on the list is power steering, and probably a chevy tilt steering column.
IMG_20110102_200753.jpg
1292554511714.jpg
1292554510071.jpg

Last edited:
Grandpa's FJ40 Update!!!!!

So I have been doing some work and now need some help!

I know everyone likes photos from back in the day so here is a photo of me about 3 years old on Grandpa's cruiser. This is why I love it so much!!!!
attachment.php

So I installed some bigger shackles to squeeze 33s, and did some other small work.
attachment.php

New clutch master adn slave, tons of hacking out old wiring.

I know I'll take **** for this but will never be selling this so I had to get the personalized license plate. Go Aggies!!!!!!
attachment.php

I also installed a pertronix point eliminator kit, but I'm an idiot and put the wrong coil in so it fried both of them:doh:. I want to know if I should go ahead and drop the money on a DUI distributor, or if I should try to put another pertronix kit:bang:.
I still have the old F motor and am not looking to change too much, but at the same time I'm not worried about the stock look.

Help from the mudders would be great!

Next on the list is power steering, and probably a chevy tilt steering column

Last edited:
Dang It

SO more bad news. I installed the new Pertronix kit and turns out there is something else wrong, I'm guessing fuel delivery now. Unfortunately I'm lost here. So I guess a new fuel pump filter and lets say a little luck!!!

Thanks to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for always having the parts. Its great having a local guy around that can get his hands on stuff for us.

Well I'm stuck now trying to figure this all out. I'll need to wait for Dave at cruiser engineering to get back in town and we can then work on it.

Seems like it was a labor of love.
Was it much trouble to track it down?
And what made you decide to track THAT one down and not just buy a similar one instead?

Oh yeas... and what is an "Aggie" ? BTW the personalized plate was a nice touch.

Also do a similar Photo when its finished with the same clothes you were wearing at 3 in the same pose... White boots, blue pants, white jacket with red and white beanie and mittens.
But this time you could stand in front instead of on the bumper bar!
LOL

Nice Cruise. Stick with Kurt for parts and service,unless you need an hour explanation on how to put a bolt through a whole.then go to the other guy.Hope to see your rig around.

AGGIES?

Seems like it was a labor of love.
Was it much trouble to track it down?

It was a bit of a chore. Grandpa's neighbor bought it and gave it to his son who then found a hardtop for it. He then let it sit in a horse corral for about 6 years. The hardest part was trying to get the previous owner and son in the same place as the title was in both of their names. All said they sold it all back to me for what he paid grandpa for almost 12 years ago. $1500

And what made you decide to track THAT one down and not just buy a similar one instead?

I wanted that exact one because I learned to drive in it. I wasn't much older than the photo when my dad let me steer and he'd work the gas/clutch/gears. This was before child seat laws ha ha ha.:lol: I also wanted this one so much because grandpa had rebuilt it after a total wreck and I'm hoping that some of that mechanic skill is hereditary!

Oh yeas... and what is an "Aggie" ?

Someone who went to Utah State, it was originally an "Agricultural" college. So yes we have our share of cowboy boots on campus.

BTW the personalized plate was a nice touch.

Also do a similar Photo when its finished with the same clothes you were wearing at 3 in the same pose... White boots, blue pants, white jacket with red and white beanie and mittens.
But this time you could stand in front instead of on the bumper bar!

I'll definitely do that! But I grew up a bit I might bend the frame rails now ha ha ha!:bounce:
LOL

Thats just the tip of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom