first 1978 FJ40 rebuild... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi everyone-

so, i have had my eye on getting one of these classic icons of a car known as the FJ40 for some time. I have been fortunate enough to find a great 1978 in SoCal that is very clean... and i fear im sick. come down with long parts lists, hurting with color codes and shooting pains of emissions testing... and i love every minute of it!!

i have already learned an massive amount about these trucks thanks to all the amazing members here. just found the site a couple months ago and find it time now to post a pic and introduce myself. hopefully you will have fun watching me get this guy back up to his 1978 glory, as close i can.

thank you in advance, here we go! :steer:

-paul
IMG_0499.jpg
CIMG3508.JPG

VERY SWEET FJ40 and welcome! The sickness you feel is a disease everyone here suffers so you are in plenty of company. FJ40s tend to seep into your blood. When you're infected there's no hope, no twelve step plan that can help and no patch to assist in reducing the ever increasing cravings. Luckily the only adverse side affect from said addiction is one commonly known as bank account balance reduction. LOL The pros? Delirium, pride and utter enjoyment while taking every beaten and unbeaten path. Congrats!

how do you eat an elephant? ... one bite at a time...-p

That is my approach as well. Luckily the 76 FJ40 I just purchased won't require that many bites. The one before that, a 72, can be better compared to eating a sauropod than an elephant...MAJOR RESTORATION. By the time that's done the only thing from the original will be parts of the tub and the top.

As a seer of all things, and a reader of body language, something tells me the lady in the picture may be slightly less ecstatic than you are.....

As a seer of all things, and a reader of body language, something tells me the lady in the picture may be slightly less ecstatic than you are.....

Just wait till the steady stream of brown boxes start arriving at the house. That is when it really gets good. Years later the :princess: see's the method to my madness. My 40 is a long way from being finished but at least it isn't the cancer ridden specimen that it used to be. Now the :princess: thinks it is cool. She still gets amazed at the attention and the head turns that the old 40 gets. Good luck with the build and keep the pic's coming. :cheers:

Yessir, I have seen that look! At first my wife didn't want to go along, but now she's in love with the FJs. Course until that happened I caught A LOT of GRIEF regarding the $$$$.

Nice looking Cruiser!

To paraphrase the great Mark Twain: death, taxes, and Land Cruiser obsession we have always with us, but at least death doesn't get any worse. :)

nice looking fj, what the history on it, find it in a barn in soCal????....????

Sweet!!! enjoy!!

Yessir, I have seen that look! At first my wife didn't want to go along, but now she's in love with the FJs. Course until that happened I caught A LOT of GRIEF regarding the $$$$.

So there is hope? I got a clean 81 so mine complains more about time.

Great looking FJ , looks very clean. Looking forward to more pictures. I have developed a very sound plan where I meet my local UPS guy at a bar nearby , we share a beer and he covertly unloads my next "upgrade". I should be good until my kids college fund is completely wiped out. No worries , by that time my FJ will perfect and all in the universe will be complete.
Have fun , enjoy !

Lvhust,
Nice looking rig! looks like you got lucky and got one with very little rust. (if any!) Congrats! :cheers:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: ....How much you want for the woman ? Ya see...with 9.5 cruisers around the house, my :princess: has finally said..."don't you think we have enough" :eek: So...being the idea man that I am :idea:, I figure I'll start collecting woman :grinpimp: Tiger can't have them all :eek:

Seriously though, very nice looking 40 you snagged there. Good luck with it and the :princess:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom