Featured 100: Pesimsmd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First I would like to say, that my take on the Landcrusier is a little different then the average vehicle on this site. I have always been a fan of the LandCrusier FJ80, then the FJ45.
When I got out of the Navy in 2005, I moved back to Texas, just after Hurricane Katrina and Just before Hurricane Rita. My am in the medical field, and my job requires me to go to work regardless of the weather conditions. My BMW Z3, just would not cut it in Houston. Those of you who know Houston, know that heavy rain/thunder storms and flooding are common place at any time. So after, Rita , I started my search. I originally was looking for a 96-97 FJ80. I came close to buying a 96, 250K miles on it, but after driving and seeing it, I was not worth the money or the amount of work that was require. But right under my nose was a 2000 FJ100, with 112K miles. It was at the local Toyota Dealer. They were asking 18K, but it had been in an accident. I went to go and check it out, after driving it I was sold on the FJ100. It was solid, you would never have known that it was 6 years old and 112 K miles on it. Only down side was that the rig did not have a third row back seat. I picked one up off of Ebay, for 700$.
Justbought.JPG
Justbought2.JPG
Justbought3.JPG

The First thing I did was to remove the factory step up, and remove the grey molding. Just that alone made a big difference in the overall stance of the FJ100.
missingstepups.JPG
missingstepup2.JPG

I then purchased a Garmin GPS off of ebay for about 170$, and installed in the truck on the dash. Not the best of situation but it worked. I had a old Laptop, hooked that to the Garmin and I was ready for my first road trip. Off to Colorado to visit my family, but I had other motives behind the drive.

The Picture below is the truck on top of Pikes Peak. Not bad for a guy from a state with very few mountains. While in Colorado, I made a run to Golden Colorado... Slee Off Road. Once there I purchased, there 2 inch lift with, with OME long range shocks, OME medium rear springs and Heavy Duty Torsion Bars, and Slee Sliders. After I picked up the my gear, I drove back to Houston. Made in 14 hrs (950 Miles), with only 28 mins of non moving time. The Travel Data was from my garmin with computer interface. Once in Houston, was I was to put the sliders on my self, but I went to my mechanic to have hime install the 2 inch lift with the diff drop kit. I had every intention of placing 35 inch tires, but just prior to my trip I got a flat and ended up replacing 3 tires, Michelins. So the 35’s will have to wait until these wear out.
Pikes Peak.JPG
Sliders2inch1.JPG
Sliders2inch2.JPG

The next thing to work on, was getting the GPS and Computer more user and driver friendly, so I purchased a Jotto Univeral Truck Desk. I also purchase a window mount for the garmin. I must saw the final product is very driver and passenger friendly.
Garminwindow rack.JPG
Control Center.JPG
Jottodesk.JPG

I also purchased a radar detector for the Colorado trip. Which wire to the fuse box, so there were no wires hanging across the dash. I also purchased an old windows 10 inch tablet PC. I hated that since I am a MAC Guy with 5 Macs, in my house. But Garmin dose not have a MAC version and MAC dose not sell a Tablet Computer. The Tablet PC is Powered by a inverter, which is plugged to the rear power plug. I ran the wires under the third row seat and then along side the panels to the front seat. The Garmin’s power supply in spliced into the front battery accessory plug, and the wires travel under the headliner down the A Pliers

I was able to find a pair of video headrest for the Toyota Land Cruisers, for 200 dollars ( Tweeter Going out of Business Sale) on problem, was that I have Grey leather seats and the Head rest were Beige. I still have the factory stereo, and it still works. So To play video, I use a portable DVD player and use a cassette adaptor to get the sound to go out via the stereo. Not the best solution, but it works until I get the AVIC D3.

VidHeadrest 1.JPG
Vidheadrest 2.JPG

The Truck was involved in a front end wreck, the frame is straight, but the headlights have a very poor projection pattern
Wreck1.JPG
Wreck2.JPG
Wreckheadlight.JPG

With a poor light projection from the headlight, and not being able to aim the headlights, (I think one of the weak spots of the FJ100 along with the exhaust manifold), I had to come up with a creative solution. I needed rather quickly and I could not wait until I get an ARB Bumper. An Former Marine buddy ( who is rebuilding a FJ55) and I built a light bar, to attach driving light that could be aimed to compensate for the FJ100’s defective lights.
Lightbar1.JPG
LightBar3.JPG
LightBar 2.JPG

Next stage and final of the light bar
Lightbar4.JPG
Lightbar5.JPG
Pig 2.JPG

Once the bar was attached, I put on KC Dayliters, and I had some old Bosch Driving Lights, that I attached. I placed the switches to some blank control spots on the left side of the steering wheel. Now my night driving situation is very much under control.

Well that’s were it stands for now…This right now is my long range road cruiser, but I hope to convert it to a long range off-roader. With the addition of 35 inch tires, Custom Drawers, Front and Rear ARB Bumper, I not sure if I want AO roof rack, or attempt to tackle a custom roof rack. I am dreaming of a 2M radio, Auxillary fuel tank, 250-270 miles to fill up is for the birds. The rack is probably on the high priority list, We are going to Disney World, with 7 passengers, 3 adults and 4 kids. Not much space for a nine days worth of gear and clothing. But I wont get lost and I wont have any difficulty seeing in the dark and with have plenty of movies or video games for my passengers.
Lightbar6.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff! You can probably off those Michelins without losing too much of your investment and get to the 35s sooner. :cheers:

nice write up and nice rig. hows the passenger's leg room with the table legs?
Leg is is not compromised at all. I can even move the PC to be in front of the radio, completely out of the way of the passenger space.

nicely done!
might of interest to many to show how you attached the screen support system. Any closeups or description?

Good start! And welcome to the endless-list modders club :rolleyes:. Have fun in Colorado!

Very nice rig. I like that GPS setup.

[
I was able to find a pair of video headrest for the Toyota Land Cruisers, for 200 dollars ( Tweeter Going out of Business Sale)

Which Tweeter store did u get those Video Head sets? I am looking for one too and live in Houston and my interior is Tan.
THanks

Nice looking rig. The fun is only just beginning...hee, hee, hee!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom