Wanted WagonGear needs a new 60 body, West Coast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ladies and gents, wheelers and dealers of the For Sale section, I am in serious need of a replacement body, there are lots of things available. but to be honest I don't have the time to religiously keep an eye on craigslist and the For Sale section here is way out of grasp. :p

SO, if anyone has a line on some clean 60 series sheet metal pretty much anywhere on the west coast, let me know.
All I need is the sheet metal, but I need ALL of it, and the only requirement is that it be rust-free. It can have dents and bruises, not looking for beauty here, but I need it to be solid.
I've got a great chassis with good mechanicals, and a lovely diesel but my body is officially gone.
I'll post some pictures so that maybe you can take pity on us. :doh:

Thanks for looking.
Kevin R.
IMG_5711.jpg
IMG_5713.jpg
IMG_5717.jpg

I've got a 62 body here in MT.

PM your email and I'll send some pics.
Paul

Bump - Around here that's minimal surface rust thats just started to peek through in a couple of spots......Good luck, love the wagon gear stuff.....

I know of a diesel one here in Canada that is really good shape the pass side rear quater needs a bit of work but does not look that bad from what i can see, im meant to take a look at it this weekend..

Kevin

Very impressive rust! I would keep the body as a reminder not to move back to the East coast.

Contact Georg in Stockton, Ca. His business is "Valley Hybrids". He parts 60s not infrequently and uses the parts in his conversions. I've seen several good bodies go through there, one of them was nearly perfect and just went to the recycler. Central Valley 60s are the most rust free you will find. Things just don't seem to rust here.

Luke at 4x4 Labs also has a 60 body on his side lot right now. It looked decent, but I'm not sure if it is for sale.

If I were you, I'd watch the local Craig's and just buy a complete but worn out 60. I've seen them in the $1000 range and it will come with a bunch of useful spares.

Good luck.

I have an 87 fj60 on the parting out section, the top is crispy but the rest is......cherry compared to those doors....oh my gawd. pm me or write me at lee_a_comstock@ Y ho for detailed pics. I thought I heard that someone sells fiberglass tops for these with gutters.

Mud is great. :p
Look at this! I posted this last night and look at all the info already.

Anyway, I'll follow up on stuff here, sent an email to the craigslist add in LA, that is pretty far to drive unless the body is perfect.
Same thing for MT, but about the same distance as LA, I saw a lot of cruisers in MT this last month and for the most part they were all starting to rot out as well.

Like I mentioned, I'm not interested in pretty, but I am not willing to do body work, (a) I hate body work. :p (b) It just eats up to much time.
There is a great body here in Oregon that my friend Bob has, but it would need a new roof welded on as well, too much of a time investment for me since there are folks needing cruiser parts.

Drew, thanks for the leads, I'll check with Luke since he is relatively close, and I just sent George an email since I already had him in my contacts.

Trying to keep an eye on craigslist, but it's tough to catch stuff not being one to be on the computer all day, things tend to go fast around here.

:cheers:
And thanks again for all the leads,
Kevin R.

I've got a 62 body here in MT.

PM your email and I'll send some pics.
Paul

Hey puppies,
I've only got access to email and you don't have your's linked, anyway, since I need ALL the sheet metal it will be best for me to stick with a 60 series, not a 62, I would consider a good clean 62, but with such a long drive I think it might not work out.
But, if it's too good to pass up, drop me an email with some pics!
My email is linked under my username and on my website.
KR

Hey kevin, with the strict emissions laws down here (peoples republic of CA), i often see complete FJ60 and FJ62s for sub $2000. I'll keep my eyes peeled on CL. What's your budget?

Thanks gifu,
I'm noticing that CA seems best to keep an eye on, I've actually had that 62 bookmarked but haven't moved on it since it was not a 60 (need ALL the sheet metal and want to stick with a 60 front-end, so 60 is easier for me) good to know that it's been on there for awhile though.....
541 miles from here.....
Maybe I could use it as an excuse to go to Surf N Turf.....

Price range is going to depend entirely on what it is, there might be other parts included to consider, but sub 2k is a good bet, over 2k would be REAL tough, over 3 is impossible.
For just the parts I need, a touch under 1k should be the right range, all depends on what it is but there is not a lot of pocket change to work with.

Thanks so much for keeping an eye out, our body is pretty much getting to the point where I don't want to drive it.

Anecdote: the gas tank starting leaking, (fixed now) it turned out that the rear 4 body mounts had rotted out so much that the body dropped down enough for the gas tank to ride on the rear bolt-in cross member. :p
There used to be about an inch of room between the lower lip of the tailgate and my bumper, the tailgate is hitting the bumper when I drive now.
This is just ridiculous.

YIKES.
i emailed that first one, he said he has a buyer lined up. Too bad, the leather interior might have paid for your fuel to come get it.

here is another that is being parted. i seriously doubt he'll get many takers, BUT... you might be able to negotiate for just the body. That truck is 5 min. form my house, i could look at it if needed. The 62 front end is all the rage these days... all the kids are going 4-headlight. sheesh.

1988 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62

Should be a few threads in the 60 section on converting the 62 clip to a 60..... I don't think it's bad at all, especially since you'll be combining two cruisers anyway. Good bodies are out there (Cali ;)), I've got one I picked up from D'Animal sitting waiting for Wobble to catch up to your rig.

YIKES.
i emailed that first one, he said he has a buyer lined up. Too bad, the leather interior might have paid for your fuel to come get it.

here is another that is being parted. i seriously doubt he'll get many takers, BUT... you might be able to negotiate for just the body. That truck is 5 min. form my house, i could look at it if needed. The 62 front end is all the rage these days... all the kids are going 4-headlight. sheesh.

1988 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
I'm not too concerned about that brown one, it spent time on the east coast, anytime over there = bad for cruisers. He mentions some rust spots "just starting to peak through" on the rear quarters, been there, done that. :p

Should be a few threads in the 60 section on converting the 62 clip to a 60..... I don't think it's bad at all, especially since you'll be combining two cruisers anyway. Good bodies are out there (Cali ;)), I've got one I picked up from D'Animal sitting waiting for Wobble to catch up to your rig.
Yeah, it's not bad at all, I've done it before, it's just more parts to find since I've got no usable sheet metal. The square lights are cool, but I've already got nice round ones.
I just like round lights on my vehicles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom