Yukon road trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For a few years I have been dreaming about road tripping/camping my way north in the summer with my wife and kids. We did a 3300 km trip to drumheller and up north and then home 2 summers ago and apart from a few fights it was a very memorable trip that the wife and kids still talk about .

I want to do it a little different heading up to Whitehorse its 2400 kms one way, I would hope to camp the entire way up with maybe one or two nights in a hotel to keep the :princess: from killing me.

debating on looking for an older used camper van or one I could modify to suit our needs or find a light weight camper for my pickup - maybe an issue as I have 4 people and 3 seat belts. One thing I want to bring is the Clipper Tripper 17' canoe I picked up this winter.

Have any of you guys road tripped it that far north ? would 10 days be enough time or not ? thoughts on road tripping with the wife and kids ?

Go for it. Great trip.

If you are heading as far north as Whitehorse I'd suggest making the trek to Dawson City. Go on a mine tour, have a Sour toe Cocktail or check out the town's history. If you are up in the late sumer check out Dawson City Music Festival. Its always a blast with lots of local music, population of the town doubles over that long weekend.

When I went up with the wife we took the Alaska hi way up and the Cassiar back down for a bit of variety.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-bc-vancouver-island-cruisers/506122-yukon-2011-cruzin.html

thanks for the link that's exactly my plan - budget trip.

Did this trip last summer. We got to Whitehorse in 3 days but that was long days, maybe too much with a family. I'd say 2 weeks would be nice. +1 on Dawson City suggestion.

10 days not enough, IMHO. So much to see, and if you want to use that canoe, expect to sit for a day or two somewhere along the way. Liard River Hot Springs if you go that way is a must stop over. Stone Mtn park, and if you are a fly fisherman, Tetsa River whitewater for some of the best Grayling fishing ever. Kluane Park and Lake good stopover point as well. I could go on and on..

IMG_0849.jpg

I've been up north 3 times now hunting and gone as far as a river boat trip up the Kechika river...this year I'm heading to Atlin.

10 days sounds rushed..

If you like hiking Mcdonald creek in Stone Mountain is amazing....the Wokkapash corridor is driveable whebn Mcdonald creek is low in summer leading the the Wokkapach trail and a nice drive into the Rockies...

IMG_15352.jpg

Great photos! (calendar material!, hint hint!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom