You know our 80s are awesome when... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:-[ BETTER MAKE DAMNED SURE YOU SECURE THAT REAR EXTINGUISHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just survived a 110 MPH -combined impact and that God my 8- r. old was not in my FJ60- the 20 mm ammo can with 1-lb. lid I had 'secured' in the bed came forward at a 45- degree angle, went thru the headliner, dented the roof about 1/4" and then proceeded to come down at a 45- degree angle into the back seat. It makes me physically ill to think about it as she usually rode there and went on the particular trip I got creamed on-I am purchasing a cargo barrier before carrying any of the junk I used to carry back there-

**That is a Husky Liner. They are awesome. You can get one at http://www.4wheelparts.com/ They have free shipping!!!**

Thanks Wrench

Joe

:-[
I just survived a 110 MPH -combined impact -

Wow! Hope you're alright.  I'd hate to se what happenend to the other vehicle it you were in a 60.  Good advice on the cargo barrier.

Brentbba, I had an 8" woofer in the factory location. I started with a free air...
puke.gif
. Sounded like wet crap. Next I did a sealed box in the same location, it wasn't bad, but with the windows open the 8"s bass just vanished. Had to go to a 10, which ate my little storage bin back there. Thats why I started expanding the walls.

Point taken on the extinguisher David. Its got 5 screws securing it, but I may install some additional anchors to be safe, that is pretty scary.

fj40crusher,
I loaned C-Dan the thong to mark a TRD S/C as mine; just waiting for my ship to come in so I can pay for it.

The last I heard about the thong it was sent to another list member. Seems that C-Dan sold "my" supercharger out from under me (some friend) and used the thong as packing material.

For the full details on the thong, you can do a search here on ih8mud. Purely entertainment value, not a single piece of useful information.

-B-
Now thongless. Anyone want pics?

Ramon,
MAF sells the SS brake lines. If you want stock length then you might look other places. Theirs are intentionally longer than stock to accomodate more axle droop if you use longer shocks.

I saw a friend's 80 with a CO2 extinguisher mounted like Keep's. No pics though. His was a little smaller, chrome, HD mount, and he used the 3rd row seat belt bolt in the back. It looked like it would survive most accidents; hard to say what would survive a collision like David was in. Get him to post pics of what was left of the *other* car!
-B-

-B-,

Please, no pics. An EWD might prove useful though ::)

Oh, by the time you have the coin, I'll have another one for YOU. :slap:

You forgot the 63 qt ARB fridge on a slide out tray with a lazy susan and microwave with toaster over. Those that mock, quickly stop when they see you eating hot tacos or fajitas on the trail and they are freezing their lugnutz off. :D

fj40crusher,
I loaned C-Dan the thong to mark a TRD S/C as mine; just waiting for my ship to come in so I can pay for it.

The last I heard about the thong it was sent to another list member. Seems that C-Dan sold "my" supercharger out from under me (some friend) and used the thong as packing material.  

For the full details on the thong, you can do a search here on ih8mud. Purely entertainment value, not a single piece of useful information.

-B-
Now thongless. Anyone want pics?

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :eek: :eek:

Dan - please don't tell me I'm going to find that thong in MY SC box you just sent me!!

It should be here today or tomorrow. Perhaps it is best I saw this so I can wear a full flame suit, gloves and a welders mask when I open the boxes!! :G

Mike :beer:

Mike,
Please return my thong when the S/C gets there. Just so there's no confusion, this is what it looks like.

url]

-B-

Gee, that's not the pic of the thong I remember. This one is much better!!! 8)

:-[ BETTER MAKE DAMNED SURE YOU SECURE THAT REAR EXTINGUISHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just survived a 110 MPH -combined impact and that God my 8- r. old was not in my FJ60- the 20 mm ammo can with 1-lb. lid I had 'secured' in the bed came forward at a 45- degree angle, went thru the headliner, dented the roof about 1/4" and then proceeded to come down at a 45- degree angle into the back seat. It makes me physically ill to think about it as she usually rode ...

I've got to agree with this - anyone that has been in an accident with gear in the back (and mine was secured with cargo ratchet straps) would be quick to install a barrier. I was really nervous driving our truck with the kids in it until I installed the barrier.

Same goes for mounting fire extinguishers into the plastic trim (even using metal brackets). I think if you did the calcn given the mass of the extinguisher and decelleration forces, it would likely pop and become a projectile :(

One final point that I've noticed by looking at some of the fire extingishers posted - how do I put this politely? - Your SIZE may be a bit small :ugh: If you've ever tried to put out a fire with a portable unit you will know that bigger is better (especially for an engine fire) :D See if you can fit a 4-5 lb unit (mine fits nicely in storage drawer

Cheers, Hugh

I have a Milford barrier and was thinking of mounting my fire extinguisher using the third seat shoulder harness bolt. However after this discussion and looking at it again the extinguisher is small enough and lined up pretty good to go between the C piller and the barrier if it ever got launched. I am now thinking of putting it on the floor in front of the driver's seat, so my question is what is the best way to mount it through the carpet into the floor of the truck.

Dave Hood
Cincinnati
97 FZJ80

Dave, you might want to consider fabbing a mount similar to what some of the ferrari guys make to mount an extinguisher in their passenger floor.
what they do is fab up a couple of steel tabs or a steel plate that goes under the front legs of the seat and then the extinguisher mount bolts to that,so it extends out from the front seat area just enough for the bottle mount and bottle to latch onto.(sorta parallel to the front edge of the seat,but down low outa the way)(and since the seat controls are on the side theres no interference with the seat movement either,if its far enough forward)
if i can find a pic i will edit my post to include it.......

doug

Dave,
The bolt for the 3rd row seat belts and it's mounting point are designed to securely hold a passenger in an accident. I wouldn't have any concerns at all about using that as a mounting point for a fire extinguisher.
-B-

Not worried about the anchor point, but not so sure about the extinguisher bracket straps holding the bottle.
Dave Hood

I to was in accident with our 94 FJ80 A Saturn tried to drive through me instead went underneath me and I drove over its hood and rolled. My wife and I had suitcases,full cooler, small toolbox etc in rear , by the grace of God everything stayed put, the force was enough to break the passenger windshield post clean in two, sunroof was gone all glass in front was gone crawled out the sunroof hole, a couple minor scrapes to me nothing to my wife. Got a 97 now everything gets strapped down. a barrier sounds like a great idea.I believe that the integrty and solidness of the landcruiser saved me and my wife from serious injury or worse. We've been running
landcruisers since 1970. WE have an FJ62 and 97 FJ80 now does'nt get any better than this.

I'll add my own much told story.

When I was running safaris in Africa, a colleague of mine rolled a Bedford truck. He had 20 passengers in the back and one was killed by a fling clutch plate.

It's clear for all to see - too many stories with the same message - secure your load. An unsecured load becomes a missile in a collision. It doesn't matter how safe your vehicle is if you've got missiles flying around the passenger compartment.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom