Yet another rims paint job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiseOrlando

Conveniently Enhanced
Threads
So I needed to rotate my tires... but I wanted to use the 5-tire rotation method. Problem was that the spare looked like crap - pitted and such from being turned face-down too many years, and with the PO not doing a 5-tire rotation, it pretty much spent its life there I believe.

I've been reading a lot of threads about folks painting their rims, and I really liked the ones that chose the Duplicolor Gunmetal Grey wheel paint. But I knew this was going to be a lot of work cleaning up this rim (and some of the others had some better days as well.

Here's what the spare looked like:

IMG_3625.jpg

Step 1 (after cleaning) was sanding and grinding off all the pitted parts. I used 320 grit on all the rims to prep them as well and make sure the surfaces would take.

After grinding and sanding the spare, it still looked pretty bad, but a at least most of the surfaces were at least smooth at this point:

IMG_3627.jpg

Step 2 was to prep for the primer. I stole an idea from a friend and used file-folders cut in half lengthwise. I found this gave a little more overspray protection and was less work than using 3x5 cards as I've seen others do:

IMG_3628.jpg

Step 3 was using primer on them. I sprayed two light coats, not even looking for 100% coverage - just wanted to get them started. This helps reduce runs and the like. As directed, wait about 10 minutes between coats, then go back with a medium coat and get all the parts you might have missed before.

Oh nos! We all wear the cone of shame!

IMG_3629.jpg

Step 4 was to sand down any rough spots with 600 grit, then re-spray lightly if needed with the primer. Then wash with soap and water, dry off again.

Step 5 was to spray the color on. As I said, I used the Duplicolor Gunmetal Grey. I really like the results. After all the hard work, even the abused spare looked pretty good:

IMG_3631.jpg

I also sprayed with a light coat of the clear afterwards, but then ran out of time (you need to finish within an hour, so now I have to wait 7 days for the paint to cure before I can hit them again).

I also sprayed the hubs, although I realize they're going to get scratched up from putting the wheels on and off... I just like the matching look. I also removed all the remaining hubcaps, as with this color I like the look with them off vs. on:

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

Looks great! I have always liked that duplicolor gunmetal color. I have the same color 80 as you and this makes me want to do mine now. Looks much better than black IMO

Funny, I have several cans of the same paint in the garage and was trying to talk myself into doing this same thing this weekend. Other projects got priority, of course.. Thanks for improving my visualization of the process.

Looks good.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll go anywhere and work on these rigs, so long as I feel I'm adequately compensated. LOL!

And oh yeah, I have to get the rest of the projects done on my rig first. So I guess it might be a few years before I'm done!

Problem was that the spare looked like crap - pitted and such from being turned face-down too many years, and with the PO not doing a 5-tire rotation, it pretty much spent its life there I believe.

Shouldn't the spare be stowed face up? :confused:

:cheers:

Shouldn't the spare be stowed face up? :confused:

:cheers:

Yes, quite correct. I guess one of the PO's took it down and put it back up face-down, then left it exposed to the elements that way. First time I removed it and discovered it, I put it back the right way - but by then, it'd already been years (probably) of being face-down... and the damage was done.

Yes, quite correct. I guess one of the PO's took it down and put it back up face-down, then left it exposed to the elements that way. First time I removed it and discovered it, I put it back the right way - but by then, it'd already been years (probably) of being face-down... and the damage was done.

Thank you for the motivation...ill be doing this next weekend now. Looks great.

Like the center caps removed and hub painted look.

How well does the paint hold up?

Not sure myself as I've just done it! But in reading, many folks report many years (4+?) with excellent results. Touch-up is pretty easy too.

Like the center caps removed and hub painted look.

Yeah... now I just need to get all the same lug nuts. PO apparently shopped different stores or something for new lug nuts, or it's some kind of grab-bag from tire places over the years ... either way, ugly and will be replaced. I might even spray them, too.

Now that I've put the counter weights back on, I almost want to spray them too. Or maybe just go to balance beads instead and forget the counterweights.

Now that I've put the counter weights back on, I almost want to spray them too. Or maybe just go to balance beads instead and forget the counterweights.

You might consider putting the weights on the inside of the wheel so no one can easily see them. Some tire shops suggest against this on older rims, as the weights apparently do not stay on as well on the inside of the rim on most cars that are not new (I think this is a dirty rim issue). Since your rims are now clean (including the inside rim surface, right?) your weights should stay on OK on the inside.

Thanks for the thread... motivated me to get out and do mine, which were horribly in need.

I opted for black on the hubs, but got lazy with the lug nuts.

I didn't do near the prep work you did but needed something quick and easy. Good enough for the girls I go with...

Thanks again!

image-1522373649.jpg

image-2828469567.jpg

Nice! I actually ponied up for all new lugs - and they all match wonderfully with the rims.

Next time there's some good light I'll take new pics and post them...

I've been reading a lot of threads about folks painting their rims, and I really liked the ones that chose the Duplicolor Gunmetal Grey wheel paint.

Where you get the paint from? Auto Parts store or Hardware store?

Grey looks good, I went with black about a year ago, holds up great. I've touched it up a couple of times from rocks or whatever chipping it. No need to take the wheels off though, just throw a blanket over your cruiser and go for it, that's how I touch it up also. I paint everything, weights, hubs, lugs. Looks better with caps gone.

Looks good! Just a tip. Next time you have your wheels balanced, ask the tire shop to use sticky weights. That way it doesn't scuff the new paint job.

Mine are pretty beat up all the way around along with my flares,cladding, bumpers. Ive been thinking about using the gun metal color on all the trim below the gold paint and on the rims. Anybody have pictures?

Looks great! I was considering the more modern look, but I really want to stay original. I used Rustoleum "metallic" and I do not like the results. It looks like engine gray. Any idea of what the original color of the 1996 80 series wheels were? There are so many colors out there... Ideas? Thanks. Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom