Yet another reason to get sliders…………….. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, those fittings are "quick fittings" for 1/4" flexible hose (I use air brake hose for 18 wheelers). The threads for the fittings are 1/8" NPT. You can pick these up for cheap at McMastercarr.com or any Peterbilt/Kenworth truck parts place. The big rigs use DOT approved fittings but we can get away with regular fittings (good for up to 200 psi). The sliders are being used as air tanks, although not really huge volume but better than nothing.

Here's some cat protection... :D

LinkPhoto

Another view of cat protection 8)

Very nice, indeed :cheers:

[quote author=alia176 link=board=2;threadid=7687;start=msg64823#msg64823 date=1069198891]
Yeah, those fittings are "quick fittings" for 1/4" flexible hose (I use air brake hose for 18 wheelers). The threads for the fittings are 1/8" NPT. You can pick these up for cheap at McMastercarr.com or any Peterbilt/Kenworth truck parts place. The big rigs use DOT approved fittings but we can get away with regular fittings (good for up to 200 psi). The sliders are being used as air tanks, although not really huge volume but better than nothing.
[/quote]

Just a litte unadvertised fact on the Slee Sliders. All 80 series sliders are welded to airtight so that they can be used for air tanks. I think I calculated once that it is about 1.5 gallons per side.

Those connectors that Alis used is really good. Have been running them for 2 years without issues.

How does air in the sliders work - I assume you just use a compressor to load them up (what kind of pressure?). Then, what can you do with ~3gal of air? What happens with a rupture?

Josh - you may want to go to Christo's site and then email him from there.

Cheers, Hugh

Yeah that's really lame. What good is 3 gal of air? Just buy a real tank and be done with it!

Not much happens if you have a leak, no explosion just a hiss. You can also buy a 2.5 gallon, hotdog style tank and mount it under the radiator and accomplish the same thing. 2.5 + 1.5 +1.5 = 5.5 gallon tank would come in handy during large tire inflation or even running air ratchet (if you have a large air compressor). You can run a rattle gun all day with a 3 gallon tank. W/o any air tank, your air compressor will cycle just about every time you activate/deactivate the rear air locker (furthest away from the air comp). To give you an example, my air compressor came on only once during last saturday's outing and I was using only one slider as an air tank.

[quote author=Wrench link=board=2;threadid=7687;start=msg65425#msg65425 date=1069296172]
Yeah that's really lame. What good is 3 gal of air? Just buy a real tank and be done with it![/quote]

WTF? Dude, the sliders are a frickin freebie tank. What do you want, a 80 tank @ 175psi? ::) :flipoff2:

[quote author=Wrench link=board=2;threadid=7687;start=msg65425#msg65425 date=1069296172]
Yeah that's really lame. What good is 3 gal of air? Just buy a real tank and be done with it!
[/quote]

Not much for airing up, but it does help to store some air when you go from tire to tire. With both sliders plumbed in it is about a 5 gallon tank that comes for free and does not take anymore space. However if you run ARB's then it will stop that annoying compressor rattle everytime you turn the lockers on.

Re:Yet another reason to get sliders……………..

FYI, a 6 gal commercial air tank is $30. 150psi and DOT rated. Finding a place to put it is the problem.
-B-

B,
If you get the kind that has a bracket already mounted to it, then fabbing something up to make it fit isn't much problem. The scarey thing is how many folks weld pressure vessels without really having the knowledge or experience to do so (please note, this is not in reference to Christo's, just a comment based on a few emails in my local club :flipoff2:). :D

Re:Yet another reason to get sliders.......

Junk,
The one that I bought has the brackets already mounted.

>> then fabbing something up to make it fit isn't much problem. <<

No, but finding a place to put it is the problem.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom