Yet another CDN m101 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hope these pictures come through. this is my newest project to go along with many others. i just bought a cdn m101 trailer that is almost in perfect shape. its being loaded here being shipped from Toronto to Saskatoon. it was never in service and hardly used. it's a 1992 that needs a little paint and rewiring to run a 12 volt system. i picked it up for $1000 including shipping which i though was a pretty good deal as most run of the mill utility trailers are around $1500 these days. current plans are clean and undercoat, build a tail gait and lid with roof rack, tongue storage box, trailer brakes and eventually a slider type kitchen set up but that's way down the road. currently i have the stock tail lights and am trying to decide how the hook them up. i may take out the black out lights (as i will never i hope be in a situation in which i am being shot at) and put in a set of back up lights. i wire it up with a seven prong set up so i have brakes and aux. i may run this through a small junction box to keep things neat and clean but i'll see. now for some pics....lets see if they upload.

IMG-20130206-02504.jpg

IMG-20130206-02505.jpg

Looks like a solid base to start with!

Looks like you got a deal considering the condition and shipping. I recall about 6-7 yrs ago attending an auction here in Ottawa where a bunch these were up for sale along with over 50 Iltis vehicles. Nobody purchased any of the trailers and they were asking for a minimum bid of $400.

Its funny how many folks covet these trailers when I think about how one of my old bosses at DND got s*** on for the bad design and corrosion issues.

Nice find!

So. Freakin. JEALOUS!

Ive been looking high and low for a CDN m101 just like that. Nice find; gives me hope I might score one like that as well....

Anyone?

That's a nice, clean example, for sure.

Well worth being patient over these. I doubt the corrosion issues are a factor for most owner if they prep and spray, don't let it sit uncovered through the winter, etc. Mine had a rust-pitted floor at the very front of the bed. It cleaned up nicely with sandblasting, leaving just a very few pinholes. Cleaned up and sealed, it'll not be an issue in my lifetime.

Cast you net wide, starting with the ads here on Mud. You'll eventually find one of the approx. 2,000 produced.:beer:

Shouldn't need to re-wire for 12VDC use I would think. Just change the bulbs. Suspect that electrical connector will need to be changed too, but for compatibility and not 12VDC use.

yeah the wiring will be ok by just changing the bulbs and connector but i want to wire up the black outs as backups and add electric brakes eventually so i figured that by the time i splice in the other wires i may as well change all the wires. its ok for now but the wires are 20 years old. its not too much work to do it.

just priced out getting a lid bent and I'll weld it up. is 14 gauge steel too light? I'm not doing the roof top tent but will carry a canoe or other light gear on it. I just want to save weight and 12 gauge seems heavy.

I worked for a company that manufactured HVAC systems for off-road, forestry, military, buses, etc and most of the metal casings were made from 18GA. Depending on the design, I think you should be able to get away with 18GA, but you would need to stiffen it up with some bends in the metal or supports. 12GA or 14GA is way too heavy IMO.

great maybe I can get it down in weight even more. anyone have a color code or name for the stock trailer color? I want to keep it army green and match the lid.

Mine is 12ga and it used to hold the RTT no problem without any extra support. I think you could definitely go lighter. If you went with a 14ga you probably could get away with out any extra support, 18ga might need the extra supports under the lid.

I would think you should be able to get it coloured matched any any autobody supply store. The orig paint is something called CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating). It is available from Sherwin Wlliams however I believe it cannot be sold to the public as it is considered to be "Controlled Goods". Some links below.

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/us/eng/products/categories/military_coatings/?paging=false

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_camo_carc2.php

Actual Colour Chip ref for military coatings...

http://www.mafva.net/PDF/FederalStandard595PaintSpec.pdf

http://www.colorserver.net/fandeck.asp?page=49

I would have to check some specs at work to see what colour chip we still call up...

just bought a bunch of wiring stuff. I'm going to put a seven wire plug on and send it to a junction box. that way I can easily add on my accessories as I go and not have a bunch of dead end wires hanging around. I can get the brake, running and signal lights hooked up so I can start using it and then add backup lights when time allows and trailer brakes when funds allow. my cruiser already has a seven pin wiring harness. I just have to add the brake controller. hopefully I'll get it wired up in the next few weeks. I'll get some more pictures as I go.

I wish I could. I've actually had this question a few times. I got it privately off kijiji (another type of Craig's list to buy and sell). he only had the one. I've been looking for a few years and have come across about 5. this one was the best for sure and at a time I could finally pull the trigger. there are a couple right now in Alberta on kijiji but are priced too high in my opinion but you may be able to talk barter them down a little or just pay the price if you're willing. I wish there was a store house of these somewhere but it just doesn't seem to exist. good luck in your search.

I didn't bother with matching paint, since I had ours sandblasted to bare metal to get rid of the CARC (it's nasty stuff, so be sure whoever does yours takes care.)

However, olive drab is olive drab. You're unlikely to get an exact match dues to the effects of weathering at this point anyway. And it's a small enough job, I'd just paint the whole thing instead of trying patch it.

can I just paint over the CARC or do I need a special primer? don't really want to pay to have it blasted when there really isn't much rust. a wire brush and a good mask in well ventilated area should take care of the very little surface rust I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom