Yamaha 14B engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't heard of these before. It came through on my FB page. Yamamha Marine could be an emergency parts supplier or engine swap option for B engine owners.
Marinised Toyota 14B sold by Yamaha. EDIT. It is actually a 14 BT in case you hadnt worked it out for yourself.

FB_IMG_1573683951903.jpg

FB_IMG_1573683948638.jpg

FB_IMG_1573683944392.jpg

FB_IMG_1573683940203.jpg

Last edited:
I've got an FSM for it, but being marinised there are a few differences. I did manage to work things out between the factory Toyota 14B manual and the Yamaha ME372 sti manual (that's the engine name).

Good video with sound of a ME372 blasting along

Yeah, I found that video a while back on a Brazilian 4x4 forum. The 14B (non factory turbo) came out with the Banderainte in Brazil, so they have a bit of knowhow on the non turbo version.

I had a look at this a while ago, while the block is 14bt, it looks to have a different head than the heads used in trucks. It looked to have glow plugs which I have not seen in the 13bt's.

20180815_141102.jpg

It wouldnt surprise me, the 4B has glow plugs

And there is also the ME420STI which appears to be a 1HD T or later

I would say about 1500 at the low rpm and 2500 on the high end.

I had a look at this a while ago, while the block is 14bt, it looks to have a different head than the heads used in trucks. It looked to have glow plugs which I have not seen in the 13bt's.

View attachment 2140186
Where can you see glow plugs? Looks like the same as my 14BT head/injectors:
20191124_185215.jpg

Where can you see glow plugs? Looks like the same as my 14BT head/injectors:
View attachment 2141001

Have a closer look at the other pic.
There's a flat buss bar running beside the fuel return line that is connecting them. Beside each injector you can just see the top of a plastic screw cap that is used on glow plugs

Gotcha. That's interesting... I wouldn't think it would be necessary on a direct injection engine, but there you go.

And there is also the ME420STI which appears to be a 1HD T or later

I wonder if that is the same engine as the yanmar 6lp, I didn't even realize that Yamaha was making the diesel Toyota engines

Gotcha. That's interesting... I wouldn't think it would be necessary on a direct injection engine, but there you go.
There are references for glow plugs for 15B as well as Daihatsu 14B

I wonder if that is the same engine as the yanmar 6lp, I didn't even realize that Yamaha was making the diesel Toyota engines

I would say it is the same engine. Yamaha would be buying the engines from Toyota and marinising them most likely.

Which block, which FSM? There must be a good reason why they used the glow plugs as the glowscreen would most likely be cheaper.
With glow plugs you still have 3 plugs when one dies but once a glow screen gives up the ghost you have nothing to warm the engine on a cold start.
Most of the references were for 24v engines.

Lotsa fun but what a waste of a good engine.
It's not a waste if that's your hobby and what you enjoy doing on the weekends. The same guy could say the same thing about people going boating on weekends. Not everyone wants the same toys, I just like seeing engines in any vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom