Yaesu FT-7900r vs. Yaesu FT-8800r (at roughly the same price) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want an 8800, you'd better go ahead and do it. They're apparently being discontinued which is why the price has dropped so much on them. I was going back and forth between an 8800 and the kenwood v71a, but the price drop pushed me over the edge.

Does anybody have any experience with the Mobilinkd and APRSDroid with an 8800? I'm curious about APRS (not enough to buy a rig with it built in) and it seems like the Mobilinkd is a reasonable way to play around with it. It seems like most people are using it with the v71a, but I don't see why you couldn't use it with the 8800, given that it has a data port on the back.

If you want an 8800, you'd better go ahead and do it. They're apparently being discontinued which is why the price has dropped so much on them. I was going back and forth between an 8800 and the kenwood v71a, but the price drop pushed me over the edge.

Does anybody have any experience with the Mobilinkd and APRSDroid with an 8800? I'm curious about APRS (not enough to buy a rig with it built in) and it seems like the Mobilinkd is a reasonable way to play around with it. It seems like most people are using it with the v71a, but I don't see why you couldn't use it with the 8800, given that it has a data port on the back.

Mobilinkd/aprsdroid will work just fine. I've used that combo with my various yaesu radios (vhf+uhf mobiles and also their combo hf/vhf/uhf etc all band mobile). Even with hand held VHF radios including a baofeng.

All you need is a data in/out or the mic/speaker(headphone) in/out on the radio. The mobilinkd also has a switch to deal with how the push to talk works/merges with the mic in/audio in, so quite flexible.

cheers,
george.

If you want an 8800, you'd better go ahead and do it. They're apparently being discontinued which is why the price has dropped so much on them.

About a week ago, when I started this thread, I found multiple sites (Gigaparts/MTC/DX/Universal/etc) that had the 8800 on closeout @~$289. Many of those sites are now showing "out of stock" or "no such animal".

MTC Yaesu FT-8800R 144/430MHz Dual Band FM Mobile Transceiver
Universal Yaesu FT-8800R, Yaesu FT8800
Radio City osCMax v2.0 : -FT-8800R 144/430 MHz FM mobile Transceiver&YSK [19178] - $289.95
Amateur Electronic Supply Yaesu FT-8800R - Amateur Electronic Supply
Associated Radio Yaesu FT-8800R
Ham Station FT8800 50/35W 2M/440 MOBILE - $299.95 : The Hamstation!, Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun.

still show them as discounted and in stock.

They do seem to be drying up quickly.

Last edited:
jLB, yep, that's what happens when someone promotes a product or a deal - it goes quickly away. Too bad you can't figure a way to convince DX to send you a commission.

Mine arrived yesterday, the 21st, from DX.

I looked again at their sale link the day after ordering on the 15th and it showed 'out of stock' so I had a day or so before shipment verification to think I'd probably missed out.

Also, Thanks much!

I wasn't really shopping radios but do like deals and as said the lack of a low output has caused problems I never anticipated.

In looking this over it is even better than I thought. The inclusion of a 'separation kit' for example was meaningless to me but now I see how useful it might be to be able to remote mount the bulk of the radio and have only the faceplate on the dash. I'm sure that there's more but haven't got to it as yet.

Last edited:
jLB, yep, that's what happens when someone promotes a product or a deal - it goes quickly away. Too bad you can't figure a way to convince DX to send you a commission.

Oh, I understand how it works. I just wasn't expecting the stock levels to be that low, or the level of "feeding frenzy" to be quite that high.

I'm glad I got mine (from DX), and waiting the delivery of my 2nd unit (to be used at my desk, until my son gets off his ass and gets his tech license).

Yep, the separation kit makes the install a whole lot easier!

Do any of you have your faceplate mounted up around the rear view mirror? If so, what do you do with the mic? I know there are threads in the electronics section with this install and will go dredge up those also. That's one good option for my Prius. There's a company that actually sells a bracket that attaches to various mfg designs for the rear view mirror post that looks interesting. Can't remember the name of the company at the moment. It's an install thread out on Prius Chat where I found that mount.

Something like a "blendmount"?

It looks like you could just extend the mic cord with a RJ11 style (RJ12 6 pin, I believe) modular cable.
or
Yaesu appears to make a MEK-2 extension kit (that seems more complex than it needs to be).

Either way, I'd route the mic connection down to the center console area.

Last edited:
That's the name, yes! I'll look into the RJ11 if I mount up there. Thanks

Radio arrived from DX right on time. Now the fun begins installing it!

Yaesu's MEK-2 kit isn't a mic extension per-se although it has almost 10 ft of cable. It's for converting a radio (usually mobile) from the RJ type plug connector to an 8 pin screw-in connector as used by a typical desk mic or other. Looks to be meant for use of the mobiles at your desk.

To have an extension of the supplied hand mic would only require a cable with male end to female end . Those should be available in any Ham outlet although a quick perusal of my new DXe catalog didn't find me one.

Save your money and don't buy the expensive extension cable, you just need a couple 6 pin modular connector (RJ-12) and Cat 5 or if you can find 6 conductor or 3 pair flat ribbon cable. Then you need an rj12 coupler this will allow you to plug the mic in.

I'll update this post with some photos later of my setup.

I picked up an 8800 because of this thread and I've been wanting to get licensed now that I finally have the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom