WTF is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok Gurus, I’ve had this piece dangling from the engine bay side of the firewall and have no idea what it was for. Looks like there may have been an electrical short or something that partially charred the green connector. It was like this when I bought it. Any idea what this may have been for? ‘77 FJ40
Thanks.

7C051F37-4C79-43B8-9DDE-DB29B8952D55.jpeg

I don’t recall what the carb cooling fan “activator” (I cant recall the name) looks like, but I think this “button” is it.

it would normally be mounted under the manifolds and would close a circuit, by activating a ground, to trigger or activate the carb cooling fan at a certain temp.

Old wiring and an old circuit board in the carb cooling fan controller under/behind the glovebox could easily result in a short and subsequent melting of insulation/wires.

68859023-1834-4F2C-B69C-044703C0317E.png

That's the temp sensor for the carb cooling fan. The earlier ones mounted above the carb insulator above cylinders 4 and 5. I think the hose clip on top was for the hose from the PCV valve.

Melting of wires and plugs in that area was common due to contact with the top of the head or air manifold.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Makes sense because I thought there would have been a carb cooling fan. BTW, I’m diggin the Golden in your profile pic. Mines a little spooked of the 40 I guess because I guess it’s a little loud?

Thanks for the reply! Makes sense because I thought there would have been a carb cooling fan. BTW, I’m diggin the Golden in your profile pic. Mines a little spooked of the 40 I guess because I guess it’s a little loud?

Chester loves 44 off road... not so much on the highway.

Thanks spotcruiser. That also makes sense. I have a buddy with a ‘78 and his cooling fan is on the left side pointed at the carb. This one would only have the distance to mount where you said it would go. Love learning about these machines! 👍🏻

Here’s a great thread on the subject if you’re considering running one, cheers

Here’s a great thread on the subject if you’re considering running one, cheers

That’s fantastic! I’m gonna take a look at that and see if that’s something I could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom