wrench day 3-10-19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes. sometimes thebrisket vanishes..
Ok, I’ll bring some burgers to supplement the brisket. This kids jump zone thing is about done and we’re heading into phase of the kids party. I’ll see all tomorrow AM with some food & beers. Talk to you fine folks later.

Well they don't get much better than that. Great day of repairs and mods. Thanks to Ralph for the brisket !

😭😭So sad I had to work😭😭

Thanks to all who helped me out with my TRE's. Everything went well until .2 miles before getting home. I'll preface this with there was no accident and no one is hurt. However, my rig tried to kill me.

So I have been chasing a "clunk" from either side when I turn full left or right. I've tightened all suspension bolts, replaced trunion bearings, replaced wheel bearings, balanced and rebalanced tires, but was still getting the clunk. This whole time (about 4 months) I would get SOMETIMES get a SLIGHT "death wobble" when I hit a pot hole or bump. So another thing to try (according to mud) was to replace the TRE's and what-not. Got it done (@slickdealmike gets a shout out for saving the day with the pickle forks!) at the wrench day. Test drive was great, feels much better, no clunk (that I noticed) and all is good, right?

Well I get literally two blocks from my house and I hit a pothole with passenger tire between 25-30mph and all hell breaks loose! It was the worst death wobble I have ever experienced in my life! It was so bad my tires were screeching as they were wobbling side to side. I really thought something was going to break. In the five seconds it took me to come to a stop images of my lugs snapping ran through my mind. It was VIOLENT, I could barely keep my hands on the wheel. It was so bad the guy behind me pulled over and asked if everything was ok. His exact words were "WTF was that?!?!?" We talked for a minute, at which time he told me he thought I was going to lose control and drive either into the trees on my right or oncoming traffic to my left.

I'm just glad it didn't happen on the freeway or at a higher speed. Coulda been bad. Either way the rig is parked and it won't be moving for a while I guess. At this point I'm at a loss and am just shooting in the dark. So, if any of you have recommendations on what to do/replace next I'm all ears. Short of replacing/rebuilding the entire front end, I'm out of Schlitz.

Thanks to all who helped me out with my TRE's. Everything went well until .2 miles before getting home. I'll preface this with there was no accident and no one is hurt. However, my rig tried to kill me.

So I have been chasing a "clunk" from either side when I turn full left or right. I've tightened all suspension bolts, replaced trunion bearings, replaced wheel bearings, balanced and rebalanced tires, but was still getting the clunk. This whole time (about 4 months) I would get SOMETIMES get a SLIGHT "death wobble" when I hit a pot hole or bump. So another thing to try (according to mud) was to replace the TRE's and what-not. Got it done (@slickdealmike gets a shout out for saving the day with the pickle forks!) at the wrench day. Test drive was great, feels much better, no clunk (that I noticed) and all is good, right?

Well I get literally two blocks from my house and I hit a pothole with passenger tire between 25-30mph and all hell breaks loose! It was the worst death wobble I have ever experienced in my life! It was so bad my tires were screeching as they were wobbling side to side. I really thought something was going to break. In the five seconds it took me to come to a stop images of my lugs snapping ran through my mind. It was VIOLENT, I could barely keep my hands on the wheel. It was so bad the guy behind me pulled over and asked if everything was ok. His exact words were "WTF was that?!?!?" We talked for a minute, at which time he told me he thought I was going to lose control and drive either into the trees on my right or oncoming traffic to my left.

I'm just glad it didn't happen on the freeway or at a higher speed. Coulda been bad. Either way the rig is parked and it won't be moving for a while I guess. At this point I'm at a loss and am just shooting in the dark. So, if any of you have recommendations on what to do/replace next I'm all ears. Short of replacing/rebuilding the entire front end, I'm out of Schlitz.
When chit like this happens in the jeep world it is the track bar connections are egged out? Jeeps are notorious for this

When chit like this happens in the jeep world it is the track bar connections are egged out? Jeeps are notorious for this

Track bar as in panhard bar? I replaced mine a while ago with an ARB adjustable, so I would imagine the bushings are still good. I have checked and re-checked and the adjustment nut is not/does not get loose.

Track bar as in panhard bar? I replaced mine a while ago with an ARB adjustable, so I would imagine the bushings are still good. I have checked and re-checked and the adjustment nut is not/does not get loose.
What happens on Jeeps was Chrysler in there quest for $ used a bolt that was slightly undersized and over a period of time the terminal attachment hole egged out fix was to use slightly larger dia bolt and weld 2 correctly sized washers (1 each side) to hold new bolt.

I also would check the panhards again. What torque value did you do to on them? How’s the relation of the angle between the drag link and panhard? They should be the same or you risk bad bump steer.

Try removing your coil spacers to drop your lift height and see it if goes away :hillbilly:

Did you put the steering stabilizer in yet? I thought you couldn't do that till you got home.

Last edited:
I'd still say some type of movement at the terminal end(s) caused by bracket failure or enlargement of hole in bracket. Hope you find it soon.

Steering stabilizer is not in. I'll measure and compare the panhard/drag link angles. Will also probably pull adjustable panhard to look at the bushings and mounting holes based off @RET2's recommendation.
You recheck your steering knuckle bolts again?

First glad your good. Whatever path you wander down for rectifying the issue, let me know, I’ll pitch in.

@chap79 , yep, I checked and rechecked the knuckle bolts. As far as torque on the panhard bolts, you know me, I ran those bad boys down and hit em' with like six ugga-duggas or so. I know you probably just threw your keyboard into your monitor after reading that, so I'll go back and torque to spec (181 sounds familiar, but I'll look it up).

No solution yet, have not had time to work on it. I'm single dadding it right now and with water polo, swim, music lessons, and the constant "social obligations" (mall trips) of a high schooler without a drivers license I've been pretty swamped. I hope to get to it this weekend. Plan is to measure panhard and drag link angles, remove and inspect panhard bushings and mounts for elongation, maybe even put stock panhard back on.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom