Would you trust this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_9408.jpg

My garage got cooked a few weeks ago, lost a lot of cruiser parts and huge amount of tools.. I found this 40th annv. rim stashed in the corner with lots of smoke damage and some melted plastic on top of the tire. Didn't seem to get hot enough to melt the rubber, but my first thought was not worth the risk.
My second thought was more insurance money. If it were you would you list replacement value with used pricing or new oem $$. That answer seems pretty obvious.
Anyway I have a hard time s****ping any Landcruiser part when a good polishing could make it look new.
IMG_9408.jpg

Rim should be fine. I'd run it as a spare, but that's it....

Could take it to a tire shop and have them pull it off the rim to inspect the interior of the tire.

Guess I wasn't that clear, Tire no way, I think that was the original spare from the 80, completely dry rotted. I'm most concerned about how the heat affected the alloy. It was actually sitting real close to my welder and the shielding gas blew a hole through the roof.

I would think its fine. If the tire didnt melt, i think your fine for the rim. There should be some mechanical ninjaneers around here. Aluminum bead lock rims are welded and have alot more heat applied. I think as long as the rim was not subjected to cold water from the FD while extremely hot.

It would be hard to say what temp the wheel got up to. Aluminum becomes soft around 600 F if it reached that temp at the core for a period of time and then slow cooled (annealed) it would be weak.

But with the tire still there and not totally burnt off I would say it didn't get that hot.

I wouldn't worry to much about water quenching. The only thing you might see is a little wobble and cupping on your tread. Quenching aluminum is recommended to lock the grain size but it's important to be uniform. Which might be the problem from hosing the fire. Maybe have it balance checked and call it good.

Having been through a fire and had excellent service from my carrier (Farmers), I'd just update the claim. Mine was replacement cost coverage, so that made it easy.

Do you really want something else to do anything with other than throw in the dumpster by this point? Must've been a small fire...Just kidding, I know exactly what you're going through.

BTW, fire or not, what did that rim actually look like if it was your spare? The one that came under our truck was so rotted from corrosion that it refused to hold air. Fire or no fire, that was one rim the tire shop kept when the new meats when on the rig.

Claim it, pocket the money, keep the rim.:meh:

Check rim for warping

I would check the rim for runout and distortion. The uneven heating and cooling from the fire may have caused the rim to warp if it got hot enough and the internal stress in the metal exceeded the yield strength. If the rim is distorted it would be best to s**** it.

Claim it as new OEM value for the rim, keep it as a spare. Rubber will spontaneously combust at around 500f. Since the tire doesn't look like it was burning the wheel should be safe.

Thanks for the great responses. Pretty much agree with all. I'm gonna scrap the tire and check the rim a little closer later on. I'll prolly post a few burn pics in chat for some shock value. I'm just glad the 80 wasn't parked in there as everything was destroyed.
Thanks again! Steve

hey man. just glad to hear your cruiser is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom