Without going to 60's, or portals... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

eaton rear with 14bolt side gears (or detroit) and shafts. found in junk yards with either 4.10's, 4.56's, or 5.13's. can be shaved like a toy or 9" and they can take a beating. the pinion is 2" in diameter. they are 63" wide and are a cheap and very beefy rear. also they are supposidly quite a bit lighter and an 14bolt but it is a FF so it is a heavy rear. i slapped 14bolt sides and shafts in mine and welded the diff. anyway just another option.

high5 said:
eaton rear with 14bolt side gears (or detroit) and shafts. found in junk yards with either 4.10's, 4.56's, or 5.13's. can be shaved like a toy or 9" and they can take a beating. the pinion is 2" in diameter. they are 63" wide and are a cheap and very beefy rear. also they are supposidly quite a bit lighter and an 14bolt but it is a FF so it is a heavy rear. i slapped 14bolt sides and shafts in mine and welded the diff. anyway just another option.

Yeah, it takes a beating alright :D

Had put this idea aside until yesterday.. My wedding gift from a friend of mine is an mostly complete FJ80 front, minus axle shafts and birfs.. Hard to say no to a free axle.. :)

But, I'm gonna let it sit until next fall, and wheel what I've got for a while, maybe upgrade my 40 to cromo shafts, and see what breaks. Been driving like a wuss for too long.

But damn, that's a cool wedding present!!

you could build a hybrid , L/C center with D60 outers. This way your drive shaft and third go right back in and the spares still work . You get the L/C 30 spline center with 30 spline GM outers and 6 lug hubs. 1 ton TRE's , and set whatever width you want. Chromo inners.
Use existing rims
I got just over 2300 into it.

peesalot said:
you could build a hybrid , L/C center with D60 outers. This way your drive shaft and third go right back in and the spares still work . You get the L/C 30 spline center with 30 spline GM outers and 6 lug hubs. 1 ton TRE's , and set whatever width you want. Chromo inners.
Use existing rims

I don't think the LC pinion would hold up.

peesalot said:
Use existing rims

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the big advantage I see there is the 60 knuckles being stronger...but that's about it?

Mind you, I want my axle width to be about 63", which the 80 is. If I was starting with 40 stuff, the width options would be a big factor, and would make it alot more viable.

But 30 spline is 30 spline, be it GM or Toyota.. or not?

Freakin cool at any rate... look forward to seeing it!

Um , hello , the big diff. is the :

Knuckles are stronger ( dedenbear )
inners are superior chromo's
easily put 35 outers in.
Hubs are way stronger( lockouts)
spindles are beefier
steering gets 1 ton TRE's
no more birf worries.
Pinion will hold and if not then one of the spare thirds goes in . I got 3 so it'll be awhile before I gotta build a real 60.....
don't have to buy new wheels , driveline, or set up a 60 center $$$$$$$.....
clearance is better than with the 60 unless you shave it.....
no outboarding of spring hangers
when wheeling with LC 's the chances of getting spare parts for the third are pretty good .
No one else has one like it.

I'm not knocking it...don't get me wrong, and the knuckles are a clear strength advantage..

Superior makes chromo's for a yota..
I forgot about the lockouts, since I'll be on flanges.. So yeah, that's certainly in the 60's favor!
my steering already has 1-ton TRE's :)
Birf worries are gone with the 4340/300m stuff.. They're certainly every bit as strong as a sub-CTM u-joint

I'm not comparing your axle with a 60, I'm comparing it with a FJ80 front.

It's certianly cool as heck though, I wanna see it!

I hear ya . My biggest concern after seeing many , good god lots , of steering arm/knuckle failure's I decided the best option was to do this cause even with the good inners and birfs you still got the steering/knuckle issues.
Superior is making custom chromo inners
Plus , you can see if there is a problem .
Piece of mind when backing up outa a hole.
I would pm Fireball on this board and ask him , he has been thru the ringer with 80 axles and can give you first hand stories of the carnage and what they will hold. The width is good , the birfs are good, the suspen. is good , the centers suck ass.....

Built my Dana 60 front and installed it Jan/Feb of '99....

Ran it with 38.5's in '99 and then 42's ever since.....

Still running the Dana inners and 35 spline outers with 552 joint...seven years....Not one Fing birfield failure...

Oh and that Hi9 has been doing fine too.... ;)

" Birf worries are gone with the 4340/300m stuff.. "

You going with those Dana 60 Fing birfs that Long is developing?? MAYBE then....MAYBE....or you only want to run a 33's. :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom