Wiring Wizards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been working on trying to figure out why my tail-light fuse continuously shorts out. Finally got some progress tonight and got it so every light works without shorting out. My question is, are the turn signals on the fenders of my '67 supposed to not only function as a turn signal but also a running light? It appeared as the PO wiring up these lights on the fenders which caused them to receive both a blinking signal (makes sense) and also a continuous signal. Also, there was no ground to these.

Also, in the in-grill parking light/blinker on the passenger side is on it's last leg. Wiggle the wires in the housing and it flickers in and out. Are these lights readably available? I'm considering just buying some LEDs from napa if not...

Thanks...

My question is, are the turn signals on the fenders of my '67 supposed to not only function as a turn signal but also a running light? It appeared as the PO wiring up these lights on the fenders which caused them to receive both a blinking signal (makes sense) and also a continuous signal. Also, there was no ground to these.

The reason that the running lights blink when you turn the turn signals on (and visa versa) is what is known as a "floating ground".

The metal case of the lamp housing is the ground. It needs a clean and solid electrical connection to the sheet metal and the sheet metal to the frame. When this ground is not making contact, the current will flow therough the running light bulb and circuit to another running lamp that has a good ground.

Electricity is sneaky: It will always find the easy way to ground. Fix all of your ground contacts and the problem will go away.

And yes the bib lights are available from all of the parts houses and Cruiser Dan.

So are the lights on the fenders supposed to be both running lights and turn signals? I know the ones in the grill are, just wasn't sure of the ones on the fender...

Acutually the bib ones are called parking lights and only come on when you pull the switch half way. IIRC they turn off when you go from parking to full on head and the turn signal lights come on as the running lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom