wiring question - retrofit 2007 taco steering column to 40 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
its a long story i am documenting in another thread.

i want to wire up the intermittent wiper function and i am having trouble figuring out how it works. i put ohm meter to contacts to look for signal and nothing, resistance-wise anyway, changes in either pin activity or connectivity with change in intermittent time. i was expecting different pins to be "live" with wiper changes. didnt see that, so i thought maybe it might have been a resistance to provide delay. no change in ohms with change in wiper delay.

so.... not sure how it works. anybody have any insight?

how does it get signal to the toyota relay? i couldnt figure out how the intermittent knob altered anything at the wiring connector...

??
fUPd75s.png

Last edited:
the wiper motor being positive ground in the 40 series

What? Might you be referring to the fact that the switch provides the negative and the positive is always there? This is not "positive ground". It's a pretty standard wiper configuration due to the need for power for parking the wipers when the switch is switched off.

Might you be referring to the fact that the switch provides the negative and the positive is always there? This is not "positive ground". It's a pretty standard wiper configuration due to the need for power for parking the wipers when the switch is switched off.

I find it hard to get my head around and i may not be describing it as well as I could be - would appreciate clarification.

What I meant is that it uses positive ground by having the common leg return to the switch to ground/off. The constant 'hot' wire runs the motor after the switch is turned off until the motor cycles over to the portion of the contact track which is plastic, thus interrupting the circuit.

See this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ng-electrical-voodo-contnent.html#post7704519

The 40 series wiper motor wiring for the standard, non-intermittent set up is not the same as 40/60 series or other vehicles with intermittent. I have also had no luck getting the intermittent to work on mine, despite having the correct relay, and will be trying the wiper motor wiring mod shown in the above linked thread.

thanks for the post, max.

it looks like the 'signal processing' is done in the actual wiper stalk itself. the wiring coming out of the 'blue box' in the second diagram max posted matches the wiring at the bottom of the wiper assembly. the rest of the assembly appears to be almost the same as the standard 40 series wiper motor, just that there is a positive signal from the wiper switch rather than switch to ground in the 40 series.

thanks for posting the thread HJ, i think that is ultimately what i am going to have to do to get it to work. i was considering just yanking a motor off of a tacoma but i think that might be harder to retrofit into a 40 windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom