Wiring for OEM Winch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Nov 21, 2025
Threads
21
Messages
109
Location
Austin, TX
I’m based in the US. I have an LX450. I have a Gulf Spec bumper and oem winch with cradle. I’d like to wire this as OEM as I can, but I don’t have the connectors and relays on my truck to make the gulf spec kit plug and play. I want to wire it so that it is. Can anybody help me figure out what I need to do? There’s a ton of content on here looking for answers to this but nobody has published anything canonical.

I know JDM and Gulf Spec trucks have relays and plugs on their looms stock that make the winch plug and play. Does anybody have any info on what I need to add to make it so?
 
You need the EWD to see how it’s done when it comes to the wiring.

That being said it’s a pretty basic installation. Do you have the main power relay that goes with the winch? It would have been mounted on the rh side under the air filter housing. Do you have the cannon plug that the hand unit plugs into? That is where the control for the main relay gets its signal to close to power the winch.

Once you plug in the hand controller the main relay closes then your winch gets its power.

If you don’t have that relay you will need to get one that can handle the current requirement of the winch.

I have an OEM winch retrofitted to my 80 in a Coastol Offroad bumper. You can look at my build thread for more info.

I will suggest you replace all the seals in the winch before install though.
Cheers.
 
@fjbj40 This is incredibly helpful. If your car or the car inch from a right hand drive source? Mine is from a Gulf Spec vehicle and the relay seems to be installed under the battery. I have the loom, but not the relay. I can’t find the relay on Partsouq unsure what to do about that.

I do have a loom that connects the relay to the winch. I assume there’s some missing wiring running from the relay to the battery. Is that still available?

When you say reseal the winch, I assume you mean the gear box? Are seals still available?
 
Yes, all seals are available new, the numbers are on multiple posts on mud in the 80 section.

My winch was from a JDM 80 series.

For the “contact”, relay, you can use any heavy continuous relay.

I fabricated new wires for my set-up to power the winch.

If you look at my “it has begun” thread in this forum you will see the install.
 
I bought this relay, Warn unit, but ended up fixing the OEM unit.

image.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom