Winter projects (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well i was almost one step closer to fixin my 71 the other day when the tarp blew off of it, but i just tied it back on.
i stared at it for a few minutes and went on my way.
my septic tank still isnt done, i dont have any straw for the chicken house..and my wifes car is ragged, but i just bought my daughter a drz 110 suzuki that i seem to ride everytime she isnt lookin. man those are about the coolest bikes ever and now all my race buds might sell their xr 50's and get 110's!!! thats all we need, like my yard isnt torn up enough hsahahaha.
my ole lady said maybe i should wait till spring for a motor since we dont know how winter will go...but then last week when her car broke down at "pier one imports"..... while she was supposed to be grocery shoppin with my daughter...and i noticed a 50 dollar receipt for friggin candles!!! she didnt have much to say after that!!! i found the bag of those high priced candles in her trunk and hid them ehehehe. she looked everywhere for about an hour before she finally asked me if id seen them...and i said.."oh..you mean those 50 dollar candles??" she just smiled and then her lower lip kinda twitched ehehehe.
so anyways i just need to get the motor for now..the rest can wait. ill keep workin on her.

Sand, grind, repeat. Sand, prime, repeat. Get sick of Sanding, priming and repeating. Work extra hours and pay someone else to sand, grind, prime repeat.

Pre-winter I'll decide whether to use Rustbullet or POR15 to take care of a few spots on the 4Runner and the 80.

Build a cargo box for the 4Runner so that I don't have to worry about whether or not Elizabeth is strapping down her windows and sample cases.

Thinking about getting everything together to do a cooling system overhaul on the 80 by the spring wrenching weekend. T-stat, fan clutch, water pump, hoses, and maybe a headgasket job. I'm confident about the first four, we'll see what I learn by then about the fifth.

LOL well i guess i dont even want to think about the list.

make it short, sell trade buy fj40s and parts might have to put
a few together. leaning more toward selling!!!! less on buying. :(

??? fj60 rear ???? just threw two out few weeks ago, might have one set of shafts left.
doesnt really help with axle breakin issue.

Poriomania said:
T-stat, fan clutch, water pump, hoses, and maybe a headgasket job. I'm confident about the first four, we'll see what I learn by then about the fifth.

Gary- Is your headgasket bad? I'm assuming you're refering to the 80.

No, it's not bad, at least not that I can tell. I'm thinking about doing it as more of a preventative. It seems like something that's better to deal with on my schedule, with knowledgable people around, as opposed to having to do it if it blows at some random time. I still debate messing with something that isn't broken.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

A recent poll on MUD of headgasket failures showed only a 17% failure rate among the respondents. If you eliminate the ones that had questionable maintenance of the cooling system, I'd bet it's less than 10%.

If you're concerned about it, have an oil analysis done. That will tell you if there is any coolant in the oil. You can also connect an OBDII scanner and get an accurate measurement on the operating temps of the cooling system under various conditions.

Will the headgasket fail? Yea, eventually, but it's likely by the time it does, the engine may be due for a rebuild anyway. I can't see doing one as PM, if there are no issues.

Dang!

Never thought my winter project would spill into the next fall :crybaby:

Made some prgress this past weekend.

Buttoned up the tranny/crawlbox/tc and cut out the rear end. I doubt I'll get the auto pulled before I head up to the Grand Tetons for a little R&R.
tranny-tc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom