Windshield Replacement Recommendations - SF Bay Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone from the San Francisco Bay Area have any recommendations for competent glass shop? I have a cracked windshield on my 100 that needs to be replaced. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who has done at least one replacement on a 100... so far, I can't find anyone who has done one. None of the guys I have spoken to know anything about the rivets on the sides of the windshield. :(

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the closest dealership and who they use?

Thankfully I haven't had to replace my windshield yet (just trying to repair any cracks that come up as quickly as possible - I use essentially tape to cover it up immediately and prevent moisture/debris from getting in the crack). However I have had multiple cracks I've had to fix and the guy I use (who has owned many LCs) told me the local dealership uses a very well known very high quality window shop.

So...might be worth checking the dearlship.

I have mine replaced but wasnt happy with the job. First time it rained it leaked. So I took it back and they "fixed" it...... I can tell they used some type of goop on the inside. I have a small crack I am watching right now and waiting until it is bad enough before I change it. I will be calling the Toy Shop:

Toy Shop - Inner Richmond - San Francisco, CA

I have spoken with Waylan a couple of times and he is great. They may not do the glass... But, I would trust whomever he recommends. This is where my rig will go for future work.

Let us know who you find to do it and how the job turns out. Like I said.... I am not far behind you.

I am also looking to replace windshield. With 3 different chips starting to spider, it's a damn mess.

I called a couple of glass shops that were recommended by State Farm... they did not inspire ANY confidence. They had no clue when I mentioned rivets on the sides, so needless to say, the conversations ended pretty quickly.

I then got on Yelp and found a pretty highly reviewed guy from a business out of San Jose called Auto Glass Menders. Neal, the owner, was very familiar with what is involved in the 100 series glass replacement. Neal and I spoke for about 30 minutes and he basically said that these trucks are a real pain in the ass to do correctly and said that he has come across many half-assed jobs that resulted in loose side moldings, leaks, and wind noise. One of the issues he mentioned was the fact that he hasn't been able to find a rivet gun with a small enough head to install the rivet perpendicular to the side molding. One solution that he mentioned was to use screws instead of the rivets and he said that has worked very well. Another issue he mentioned was that he has come across many half-assed jobs that resulted in loose side moldings, leaks, and wind noise.

We then got on the subject of aftermarket glass vs Toyota glass. He basically said that the Japanese glass (Toyota) is the best but EXPENSIVE, and the cheap Chinese glass is junk. Supposedly, Pilkington glass is US made and of good quality, so he's supposed to get back to me with a quote sometime next week.

I'm hoping I found the qualified tech I've been looking for... last thing I need right now is a jacked up glass install.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Merry Christmas!

SupraTuRD,

Looking forward to hearing more on the quotes! I've got 3 chips and will be looking to compare a full replacement vs a SafeLite repair.

I'm going to give the dude a call tomorrow to get the ball rollin' here. I'll keep you guys posted.

Make sure they use pop-rivets on the sides and not screws!
I've had a number of windshields replaced on my '98. The rivets get almost flush and screws don't.
The difference? Wind whistle.
And don't get China-made glass. PPG or Pilkington at the very least. OEM if you have $$ to burn.

Make sure they use pop-rivets on the sides and not screws!
I've had a number of windshields replaced on my '98. The rivets get almost flush and screws don't.
The difference? Wind whistle.
And don't get China-made glass. PPG or Pilkington at the very least. OEM if you have $$ to burn.

Does the screw not being as flush cause something to not sit flush?

There's a rubber seal that covers the rivets. If you use screws the large heads cause the seal to bulge out and possibly whistle/not seal properly.

I just had my glass replaced with an OEM windshield and I riveted the side moldings on myself. Wasn't that difficult.

i just had the windshield replaced on my LX with Nightvision at Secureway Auto Glass in SOMA district in SF. Every problem mentioned had happened to me: lose side molding, wind noise, and gap in the weather stripe. I am looking to have it redone if possible. took it back there twice... still the same. given up on them.

Please let me know what you found SupraTuRD. I am tempting to take it to the dealer and see if they can fix it.

Try to find out what glass installer a local Toyota dealer uses...

Try to find out what glass installer a local Bentley/Ferrari/Porsche/Aston Martin dealer uses. Then bring them a copy of the FSM. Maybe the Toyota dealers down there care about it being done right but up here they sure don't.

Took it to MAZ on Bryant St today to had it fixed. They were recommended by my Lexus dealer service advisor whom I had dealt with for over 10 years. They took out the moldings and told me what went wrong and how they were going to fix it. Three hours later I got it back, it was totally fixed. I'd highly recommend them.

Labor cost comes out to be $255.

Good luck!

Gary

Bump for windshield replacement in the Bay Area. SF, Peninsula, or San Jose area preferred.

I have a water leak/intrusion from the PO using Safelite to replace the windshield. The side moulding sticks out near the top and I see screws and not rivets in the moulding. The result is that I have to cover my 07' with a tarp when it rains. Our LX is our 3rd vehicle so it's not a big deal but I'm getting tired of tarping the 100 every time rain is in the forecast....thanks.

Super Auto Glass in South San Francisco. Andre is the man.

Yes, he knows the 100 series windshield, uses rivets, paints/preps the metal, etc.

I wish I had the above recommended installers a few years ago when I had to replace my windshield and I'm definitely bookmarking this thread for future reference. I also ran into some of the issues everyone had with the windshield replacement and the water leak from the moldings secured by screws. Unfortunately when the installer tried to fix the water leak, he did not have the rivets that fit, so he just glued the molding to the A pillars with the same black urethane glue he used to glue the windshield in place in order to prevent water leakage through the previous rivet/screw holes. He spread the glue along the entire length of the molding so it's a tight seal to the A pillar and no wind noise. But now I'm wondering how difficult it will be to remove the glued-on molding next time I need to replace the windshield and if it would be tough to remove the black urethane glue off the A pillars so the surface can be clean and even.

Bump for windshield replacement in the Bay Area. SF, Peninsula, or San Jose area preferred.

I have a water leak/intrusion from the PO using Safelite to replace the windshield. The side moulding sticks out near the top and I see screws and not rivets in the moulding. The result is that I have to cover my 07' with a tarp when it rains. Our LX is our 3rd vehicle so it's not a big deal but I'm getting tired of tarping the 100 every time rain is in the forecast....thanks.
Contact A+ imports (near Holly on Industrial in San Carlos) and ask them who they use. They've got great expertise with Toyota's and a cruiser head or 2. Good folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom