Window Glass Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Anybody know if the door glass is just "pressed" into the channel that holds it? Or should there be an adhesive applied? The glass keeps pulling out of the "holder/channel" when its cold... Due to hardened/old guides... I need new guides/channels installed to really solve my issue...

The glass pulling out could mean the metal channel is rusted and has lost it's grip on the window.

The window channel uses a pinch hold to keep the glass in place along with a rubber filler piece. My DS window channel had rusted badly so went ahead and replaced it while I had the door apart and before the window came loose. The window below was replaced sometime before I bought the truck but the widened channel trapped water which led to the rusting. I had talked to a couple of window glass techs who said they just use a urethane adhesive instead of the filler but I went with the FSM method.

With the filler and window spashed with some soapy water I pounded a new channel down over the glass using a deadblow hammer. It was a bit tricky doing it myself but I got it done. It would have been easier with a helper to hold the glass. When I removed the glass from the old channel I also pounded it out striking the larger lip of the channel with a deadblow hammer. IMHO I would recommend replacing the channel with a new part along with a new filler piece as the metal channel gets "sprung" or opened up when you pound it off the glass and the filler is a non-reuseable part. Some window techs AFAIK reuse the channel by pounding it back in shape (but it's still sprung IMO/IME) and they then use a urethane adhesive in place of the filler. IME I don't think it's a good idea to use a new filler in an old channel. In other words, either replace the channel and filler, or if reusing the channel use a urethane adhesive in place of the filler.

First photo shows the rusty channel just after popping it off the glass with the rubber filler still stuck to the glass. Second photo compares a new channel on the left to the used one on the right. Last photo shows the new channel and filler installed on the glass. FWIW, it did take significant force to pound the new channel and filler onto the glass which tells me the channel does hold onto the glass securely when new parts are used.
DSC05548.JPG
glass channel new and used.jpg
DSC07357.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks kernal! Good info... I pulled the DS rear door skin and reset the glass... Fits pretty tight (goodness). I think the door channels get so bad (window down... Stops... Up a bit, down x5ormore) to get down, the glass loses grip n pops out. Spray siliconed for now... Til i finally order new door channels

VTrocker: the metal U shaped thingy that pinches the glass is the channel, the rubber that the windows slide up and down in are the runs. I replaced the runs on the same door as the window, night and day difference. Is your channel rusted, original glass??

It's not in the FSM, but I've just used some good old Shoe Goo in each of the corners where the rail meets the window. They've stayed put for about 2 yrs now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom