Window Care? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
So, never really paid much attention; get 'em dirty, dunk a netted sponge/squeegee-on-a-stick in some Meguiar's and clean it up. Looking to get more serious now and wondering what the Brain Trust recommends. Came across this video (he has another for interior glass) but wonder what kind of wax is best for windows that will see real crud--carnauba, synthetic, mix, what?

Ammonia and water. (Windex)
White vinegar and water also work well.

Interesting, ones basic and ones acidic, but they both work well on getting glass really clean....:meh:

I don't think a wax would be a good idea.

Get it clean with some clay then seal it with some type of ceramic product meant for glass.

Drexler Ceramic Glass Coat 20ml Ceramic Coating Windshield Hydrophobic Protection 9H for Glass Parts Amazon product ASIN B077T9SZZ7

Gas and newspaper :hillbilly:

(Works good if you have water stains)

Then apply Rain-X by hand to the glass to increase the surface tension and allow the water to repel at high speeds........ :rofl:

I heard 0000 steel wool is also a good choice to clean glass but it has to be the 0000

Then apply Rain-X by hand to the glass to increase the surface tension and allow the water to repel at high speeds........ :rofl:
Is funny (even the HAHA kind) that you mention Rain-X. I have found the windshield angle combined with the poor aerodynamics off the hood, make Rain-X much less effective than on my Camry or Sienna. The water beads up, but it doesn’t travel and take more beads with it. It just makes bigger beads of water that stay in the way.

Is funny (even the HAHA kind) that you mention Rain-X. I have found the windshield angle combined with the poor aerodynamics off the hood, make Rain-X much less effective than on my Camry or Sienna. The water beads up, but it doesn’t travel and take more beads with it. It just makes bigger beads of water that stay in the way.
I had not noticed that on mine.

You're just not driving fast enough...... ;)

My old Studebaker has a windshield that is almost perpendicular to the direction of travel. We got stuck in a rain storm one day. We saw the storm coming, pulled off the side of the road, cleaned and Rain-X'd the windshield, then got back on the road. The wipers on that car are less than effective on a good day. We hit the storm and it was raining sideways and a near white-out condition. All the other late model cars were pulling over because their wipers couldn't keep up. We didn't have any wipers on and we were sailing past everyone with very clear vision. Probably one of the best testaments to using it I've ever seen.

I like having it done on my 80, but I have a LOT of road time.

Yes 0000 steel wool with window cleaner and then with a car wax works like rain x but gets the glass super clean. If you have water stains 0000 steel wool and a light acid will get rid of it in just seconds. Do not used the steel wool on mirror glass.

I use this. Plastic film protection for your windshield. I can't stand rock chips let alone replacing genuine factory glass.

Take a polisher and use some compound/polish to get that glass nice and clean. Clay bar before the compound/polish just like you would your car. Steel wool 0000 as people have mentioned works with some compound on it but a bit on the more aggressive side. As for beading properties a few solutions. Rain-X does fairly well for what it is, last a few weeks. Other products that work really well is a spray on/spray off type of product. Mckees 37 Hydroblue, Gyeon Wetcoat are the 2 that I use and come to mind easiest. If you wanna go more permanent, plenty of glass coatings that exist out there. I use Mckees 37 glass coating myself (about a year of protection when maintained properly). Whatever product you decide on, prep work is the key to them lasting as long as they can. When it comes down to it, really any sort of wax/sealent also works (Spray type of products are generally the easiest to apply/wipe off vice a paste/liquid). It is all about filling in the microscopic holes that exist in the glass to give it a smooth surface for water to slide right off.
(Disclaimer: I am in no way sponsored by any of these products, just some of the stuff I use as a detailer for the last few years).

While we're on windows--when replacing wiper blades, what do you prefer?

I like OEM blades :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom