Winch wiring recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Warn VR12-S on order for a new bumper that Trail Tailor is building for my 200-series. As this is my first winch, I have a few questions for those with experience:
  1. From the online instructions it doesn't seem like the wiring comes with a fusible link. Given that the winch sits in front and a front-end collision could end up shorting the wiring, shouldn't it be fused? If so what are the recommendations on parts/sizing?
  2. Do you guys wire the winch through a relay so you can start/cut power from inside the vehicle? Or do you just rely on the switch on the unit?
  3. Do most of you leave the control pack in the bumper or mount it in the engine bay?
  4. For those of you in cold climates where they salt the crap out of the roads in the winter who also have their winch inside the bumper, do you use a winch cover to protect it, or do you just occasionally wash it? I don't expect to use it in the winter, but I'd like to protect it if exposure will cause significantly increased wear of the rope, motor, etc.
Thanks

Couple of suggestions.
On all my winches I use a battery cut off switch near the battery. No power going to the winch unless I am about to use it.
Fuses and relays don't work great on a winch. They draw a mountain of amperage when under load. The relay or fuse you would need would be prohibitively expensive compared to a simple well built shut off switch. Plus, it's not ideal to feed relays with relays. That's what is in the control pack.
If you run your positive lead inside heater hose, it will be unlikely to ever wear into the wire and cause a fireworks show at almost dark stuck in the woods when you engage your cut off switch. Ask me how I know that one.

Speaking of those who live in salty climates, corrosion is the devil. Best single tip I've got is to drill and tap the motor housing for a hose barb and vent line. I then seal up everthing I can with silicone and hope for the best. I'm sure there are tighter designs than all the warns I've had, can only seal some designs so much. Seems to help a bunch tho, prior to going to this method I would have to tear down a winch every three years just to keep it functioning. I haven't had to touch one yet since venting, even if just for the sake of condensation including my rear winch which lives in the rather hostile environment behind my rear bumper and under the pickup bed. I did however mount my solenoid pack up high in the box where its away from the worst. Wash everything as often as possible within reason. A cover can't hurt. Just don't ignore it.

A winch is a tool like any other and must be cared for in its own way. As far as steel cable goes the act of unspooling and carefully respooling after each use under a light load while keeping nice tidy wraps will go a long way towards keeping that cable alive and safe to use.

Ditto the disconnect switch.

I've made a habit of function testing before each trip as well to avoid the click of despair once its already too late. Another lesson learned the hard way.

Thanks guys!

I realize this is a couple of months old,but, with summer being upon us I would highly encourage you to keep your synthetic line covered, to protect it from the suns UV rays! The UV rays will "break down" synthetic line QUICKLY! Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom