Winch needs solenoid?? HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone.

I have a 100 s Land Cruiser 2002. Which this winch is not available in us for the model years.
It's fzj100

I have questions about the WINCH. AT1000 DENSO

It's the same as 80s factory ELECTRIC winch.
fj_hdj_hzj-80_series_winch.pdf

In fact I had bought it (used) but it came without the factory solenoid (magnet)
This is the missing part. It located next to the battery.
screenshot_20190317_233530_com-sec-android-app-sbrowser-2-jpg.1960994

The winch has got 3 cables. One is positive. 2nd is negative. The 3rd is to front bumper to the winch controller (wired).

I just connected the 1st cable directly to the battery and IT WORKS FINE. I did NOT use a solenoid or the factory magnet.

I have some questions
1. Should I use a solenoid? Or
2. Is it enough to use a disconnect terminal switch? Just like this one.
s-l400-1-jpg.1960996

3. How many wattage and amps of this winch?

THANKS
img_0803-jpg.1960988

No, you don't need to use a solenoid to arm the winch, the factory wiring is a slick way to do it though.

It is probably best to use a beefy switch of some sort so you have control of the circuit in the event of something going wrong such as a dead short. Also something of a security measure to minimize the risk of nefarious use by anyone else.

A quick look at the Warn site for a ballpark amperage figure shows an average max draw potential upwards of 400 amps. A master disconnect switch as often found on heavy duty trucks or equipment would be a suitable fit.

The disconnect pictured would probably work ok but might not have the capacity for extended maximum load pulls. Looks a bit small. Better to be safe than sorry, there is alot of electrical potential here.

Thanks hiluxeremy.
In fact I post this thread in 80s section. I had not known that there was winches section. The advised me to repost it here.
This is it
Factory winch needs solenoid??? HELP
I got some answers. Some are agree with that it's not neccessary.
There are some pictures there. Can you check and give your opinion.???

Thanks.

A quick look at the Warn site for a ballpark amperage figure shows an average max draw potential upwards of 400 amps. A master disconnect switch as often found on heavy duty trucks or equipment would be a suitable fit.

Would you put a link or a pic of the warn site swich??
And do you know the amperage of this winch??

A switch like this, Amazon product ASIN B01NAOH1N5
Notice the 1000Amp intermittent rating of this switch.

I haven't seen an amperage spec for this particular winch, but based on what other units of similar capacity draw, expect to be in the neighborhood of 300-400 at maximum load, but not continuously.

The solenoid pictured in other thread does look suitable to use in place of the absent oem unit but will require a bit more wiring to activate compared to a manual switch.

Either would serve the same purpose to supply or disconnect voltage from the battery to the directional control solenoids (on winch itself, which are activated by handheld controller) as desired.

Either method will work. If you decide to go with the solenoid buy a spare to keep in the vehicle, just in case.

Hiluxeremy
Thanks man.
You are very helpful.

I am gonna ordered the solenoid and the 1000amp switch.

And a 30mm cable to connect the solenoid to the battery. And another thinner cable to connect the solenoid to the the fuse box (something working with the ignition on).

Thank you again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom