Why I think the ARB Roof Rack Sucks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pirateslair.com
I'm usually not one to complain, but I'm just irritated at my ARB roof rack.

1. The nice plate steel side rails with sexy roof line contour and FJ Cruiser knockouts also keep ice and snow from sliding out from under the rack. Nor can you use a broom handle to shove said ice out either side. The eventual abacus-like ice chunks that form around the lateral rails slide back and forth endlessly scratching the formerly perfect cygnus white roof and pissing the hell out of you.

2. At 40 MPH the front two lateral rails hum like a massive tuning fork rattling your patience AND drowning out Metallica at all but the highest settings, which begs the question: How would I ever hear it anyway?

3. The damn bolt holes leak soaking my A-Pillar lining and making the cab reek like a musty fart after any rain, or while the bowling ball size ice chunks slowly grinding grooves in the roof discharge melted cygnus spooge into the leaking orofices. But I blame Toyota for that. For heaven's sake, open bolt holes?

4. My wife refuses to believe the soggy headliner is causing the stench. #@#$%&* ARB.

Mine came with a factory rack and when my ARB started leaking down the A pillar I took it to the dealer and they fixed it under warenty :grinpimp:

My wife doesn't believe me either, but she was in it when I got high centered in water over the rear tail lights on Rubicon....guess mine may be more than just the roof rack.

I was pretty frustrated with ARB when doing the install, I had to use a make shift breaker bar to tighten the allen heads that came with the kit. Really shouldn't have been that tight! And I would agrea that it is a bit noisier than the stock rack...but I haven't noticed it that much....maybe try putting some sort of vibration dappener in between the roof and the mounting rails....

Good luck! I will say though that it is the sturdiest rack I've ever seen, and it does make a good level sleeping spot when wheelin'

No problem with mine.
Noisy, but you can't have all that metal stuck up in the air and expect it to be quiet.
If it's vibrating or humming, it's loose. That might explain the leak, too.
Lot's of people have had trouble with aftermarket racks, in general. Make sure everything is tight and use the crap out of silicone sealer.

I just installed mine last night, I LOVE it and think it's built like a rock. I honestly don't notice any more wind noise than stock but I do notice a *little* more wind drag (although I did expect it).
I *will* say that the install was a bitch though. It wasn't hard to figure out, it was just frickin DIFFICULT to get the screws through the mounting system into the roof of the car. My silver allen wrench that came with the kit has blood on it from my thumbs, and I'm saying that with 100% honestly. I ended up using a wrench+allen wrench to get the tough ones in. I proceded to bury the whole mess in blue RTD silicone sealant.

...on a side note, did anyone have issues fitting the washers under the screws in the front bolt of each mounting arm? (the bolt on each side nearest the front of the car.) There wasn't anywhere near enough room.

I have one of those interchangable screw driver things. That's what I used as a leaver, I just inserted the long end of the alen into the reciever end of the screwdriver. I thought I was going to break the allen wrench!

A definate pain to install, got mine used and looking at the pile o parts I thought this will be done in 15... but the installing the bolts through the mesh was a pain and took lots of time ~ 2 hrs total. Makes lots of noise, I havent had to deal with the snow and ice. Its makes a good place to stand for parades and such but I need a ladder to make it easier for others to climb up and down.

I use the bumper, then the license plate cover then the spare tire.... Well actually I usually just use the rocker, but the other way is much easier.

Yeah, gotta say I don't think the new rack is much louder than stock...if any.

Installing the brackets/bolts through the mesh wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I had the worst time with the mounting rails to the roof connection. It *was* tricky through the mesh, but I think I was just extra determined because I wanted to be done (and my thumbs were raw from the Allen Wrenches.) I have heard a lot of people complaining about the wind noise; I don't notice much difference all. It's infinitely more useful than the stock rack, so it's worth it anyway.

As for the install it was a sob. the nuts on the underside of the roof fell off and I had to remove the head liner and I had to use lots of silicone. As for the wind noise, ARB makes an air-dam for the front of the rack andit seems to cut down the wind noise quite a bit- sells for about $90 to $100- and if you stretch a bungie lenth wise over and under the cross bars it cuts down on the hum of the bars. You would think that ARB would come up with better mounting brackets and if you park in a garage you dont have the ice problem:beer:

I have removed two OEM roof racks and put on two ARB fit kits so far - I recommend starting with the middle holes - just get the bolts started and then move to the front and back. Use the rubber gaskets and add some silicone around the holes - specially between the nuts coming up from underneath and the roof of the FJ. I would expect leaks could come from those, if not sealed. As far as the ARB bolts being a sob to screw in - remove all the blue locktite and replace with new - or at least remove most of it, so you only have a couple of threads with locktite on. ARB put on a ton of locktite and that is what is causing the bolts to be too tight to get in with just a allan wrench. Once most of this is removed, the bolts go in easy. Then add some silicone around the top of the bolt.

When removing bolts from the roof rack - be sure not to press down on the bolts, once you get them started. Use a 30 torx screw driver and once the bolts turn, be careful to just rest the screw driver on the bolts - pressure at this point can push out the nuts underneath. So far I have removed and reattached FJ racks, and ARB fit kits about six or seven times without any problems.

Hope this help.

Bjorn

ARB rack removal to fix leaks

So I have to pull my ARB rack from my FJ cruiser to fix the leak problem. I dont have the original install instructions. But looking at the rack, it looks like I should be able to remove the basket leaving the rails from the fit kit on the truck. Then it appears to be simple matter of unattaching the rails, sealing up the mount points, and then re-attach. Repeat on the other side. And then finally re-attach the basket. I am not really sure how I could get to the bolts on the center mount points through the basket. Can anyone confirm that this is The way? ...or tell me what I am missing??

Hmmm, is the ARB roof rack solid enough.
Has anyone ever seen a broken rack?

IMG_0501.JPG

This pic is from someone living in Southamerica

I can't imagine loading something on an ARB rack that would cause the rack to fail before it crushed the roof. I find them well built, very stout and well suited for the FJC...

I can't imagine loading something on an ARB rack that would cause the rack to fail before it crushed the roof. I find them well built, very stout and well suited for the FJC...

x2 Jerry.
Due to how heavy they are i'd say they are a little over built for what most will carry on their roof (or should carry on their roof weight wise)

After looking through those pics, that rack has seen some use, thats for sue. Any back story on it, looks to me like it was rolled and all the rust on those cracks, its clearly been in that sad state for quite some time...

The FJ Cruiser was sold, fully equiped, a year ago somewhere in the states and belongs now to a german guy living in Cochabamba (Bolivia)
https://picasaweb.google.com/116931254757703904488/FJCRUISER#
Sure the rack has seen some hard use but isn't it sold for beeing a good replacement to the OEM roof?

It is, probably one of the best IMHO.

Unfortunately, it looks like that one has been abused. The FJC "appeared" to ber pretty overbuilt, duel shocks all around. That type of design is typically for high speed off-road driving and it appears in the pictures its been well used, can't tell if its been well maintained.

One thing I can say is looking how its loaded in the pics, there is a large amount of weight on the front of that rack, supporting the light array and the high lift, all the weight forward of the first mounting point. I wouldn't load a rack in that manner, particularly if I were driving at speed on dersert roads.

Just my 2 cents, I had no issues with mine and I used it to haul wood, steel tubing, and for off-roading too...

The FJC "appeared" to ber pretty overbuilt, duel shocks all around. I wouldn't load a rack in that manner, particularly if I were driving at speed on dersert roads.

Just my 2 cents, I had no issues with mine and I used it to haul wood, steel tubing, and for off-roading too...

;) I do completely agree :D
A little bit "show"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom