Why are so many 16+ used as rental cars? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcgaskins

SILVER Star
Threads
I've noticed a whole bunch of 16+ 200s hit the market recently for what appear to be good prices, but when I dig in I find they were all used as rentals. There is one particular dealer in Denver who seems to be going to auction and buying up rentals, and they seem to be getting dumped right at the 40k mile mark. I know the Land Cruiser is a low volume vehicle, so is it possible Toyota sold a bunch to fleet buyers for rentals? I've probably seen a dozen since the beginning of the summer in Denver alone, and this place has FIVE former rentals now, and a couple of them have accident histories as well. I also find it absolutely hilarious they're advertising these as "1 owner Carfax" trucks!! :lol:

Used 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMCY7AJ2G4037091

Used 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMCY7AJ3G4039268

Used 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMCY7AJ5G4037201

Used 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMCY7AJ2H4052322

Ok so this one doesn't appear to have been a rental, but wow is it rough!

Used 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMHY05J194002617

Toyota has kept their sales number inflated by doing tons of fleet sales

Their LC is no exception. When you have to move metal, Toyota (like American car makers) will do anything

Technically they are 1 owner vehicles, as the rental company owned it:)

There is one in Portland 2008 with 212k rental miles that sold for 21k

This is one aspect (fleet sales) Honda has refrained from

That does seem a little odd.
I don't think I have ever seen a 200 LC for rent at any Hertz or other big name rental car companies.

I am sort of curious if they are not just being titled in manor that they show up as rental cars just for some sort of tax advantages.

Meaning they may really be operated by just the one person, it may not nessisarily be like a typical heartz rental car getting rented and driven by someone new every couple days.

Plenty of places rent Land cruisers

You can even rent them from your local dealer

My local dealer has two 17 land cruiser rental both with over 15k miles

The one 7 miles away has a 16 and a 17 LC for rent . The 16 has over 35k rental miles

I have rented land cruiser in Rhode Island
Portland
Wyoming

Heck yesterday on acurazine forum a member was complaining they paid for a navigator and rental company gave them a land cruiser which they didn't want

IMG_8173.PNG

Charlotte enterprise rents land cruiser (they use the Prado picture)

IMG_8174.PNG

Last edited:
I guess there is some out there. The toyota dealers around here rarely have one for sale much less rent.

I admit I have not really looked for one, just was thinking in general when I have been at airports picking up a rental, at hearts or enterprise, that sort of thing, I have never ever seen a 200 anywhere on the rental lots.

I was mainly referring to US rental market. The enterprise LC pictured isn't a 200, it's an overseas model. Which I can easily see them as rentals in other markets where LCs are much more common.

I was mainly referring to US rental market. The enterprise LC pictured isn't a 200, it's an overseas model. Which I can easily see them as rentals in other markets where LCs are much more common.
I am only speaking to land cruiser rental in the USA . I am not talking about world markets

the ad I linked is charlotte airport enterprise

They use a Prado picture but they rent 200 series land cruiser

Enterprise also rents the QX80 next to the Land Cruser

Nice. I may have to try and find one to rent next time I am needing to rent a vehicle. Thx

wow, never thought to watch out for rental 200's when looking on the used market. Glad I dodged that bullet!

I've definitely encountered them at airport rental facilities in the US. Of course, they are in the top tier of rental cost so it's not like just anybody is getting these instead of a Hyundai. It's quite a premium, same with any of the full size SUVs.

I've noticed a whole bunch of 16+ 200s hit the market recently for what appear to be good prices, but when I dig in I find they were all used as rentals. There is one particular dealer in Denver who seems to be going to auction and buying up rentals, and they seem to be getting dumped right at the 40k mile mark. I know the Land Cruiser is a low volume vehicle, so is it possible Toyota sold a bunch to fleet buyers for rentals? I've probably seen a dozen since the beginning of the summer in Denver alone, and this place has FIVE former rentals now, and a couple of them have accident histories as well. I also find it absolutely hilarious they're advertising these as "1 owner Carfax" trucks!! :lol:

Used 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMCY7AJ2G4037091

Used 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMCY7AJ3G4039268

Used 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMCY7AJ5G4037201

Used 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMCY7AJ2H4052322

Ok so this one doesn't appear to have been a rental, but wow is it rough!

Used 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale | Centennial CO | JTMHY05J194002617

looks like they are going quite cheap at auction also, a couple of the ones you have are in the history here:

Capture_zpsitvuwp4t.jpg~original

In addition to the retail rental market there are what I'd call fleet rentals where the company rents all the vehicles it assigns to employees rather than leasing or buying. The rental company is responsibe for all the maintenance, and the cost of the rental is deductible to the company. This is sort of like leasing from the dealer with maintenance included and locations everywhere.

My brother in law has gone through 3 or 4 Ram 2500s in the last 3 or 4 years, and his company has a total of 30 of them that they rent through one of the national agencies. When he hits 100k he pulls the tool boxes, camper lid, drops it off the old one, puts that stuff in the new one and is on his way. The company picked the vehicles and the rental company got them. They tried all the different brands and the employees chose the Rams over the others. I sincerely doubt Hertz/National/Avis/Enterprise has many Ram 2500s with the cummins diesels sitting at airport rental lots.

Perhaps the rental LCs hitting the market are fleet rentals from an engineering, building contractor, oil/gas company. Not a practical car for a travelling salesman.

Last edited:
Not to sound stupid, but how can you tell? Looking at the pictures it doesn't (to me anyways) show much damage or dirty?

I actually saw this one a couple weeks ago and it was in rough shape, but it looks like they've put a lot of work into it to make it look nice again. New pictures as of today too on the site - yesterday they still had the old pics of the exterior only no interior shots.

Can confirm Land Cruisers are on Airport rental lots like Avis/Enterprise/Hertz. I just bought a '17 with 16k miles and was a former rental.

Its been wheeled before me and its rough. When I picked it up sight unseen, it didn't drive straight, rear shocks were blown and also front lower skid plate has had contact with boulders/obstacles. It still had the no-smoking stickers plastered throughout the inside too.

Last edited:
National has new LC as rentals. I always pass on them b/c no fun in driving same car at home. I go for the fast sports car!

Can confirm Land Cruisers are on Airport rental lots like Avis/Enterprise/Hertz. I just bought a '17 with 16k miles and was a former rental.

Its been wheeled before me and its rough. When I picked it up sight unseen, it didn't drive straight, rear shocks were blown and also front lower skid plate has had contact with boulders/obstacles.

sounds like someone took if off some sweet jumps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom