whos going 37’s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

im sure some of you have followed marlins 3rd gen taco on 40”s looks like hes going to offer the kit some time this summer. Strong ifs for the win!

for me, i would have to get the taco box to go with 37s to make an effective rock crawler, also gears.... which bring me to the second tooc of discussion...

80 series can be re geared at the center diff, the threads are on here im not going to link them at this time, maybe later... but since the 150 uses the torson center diff you would imagine we could do the same... once correct gear ratios can be cut. it would be easier and maybe cheaper to do 1 diff instead of 2

thoughts?

im sure some of you have followed marlins 3rd gen taco on 40”s looks like hes going to offer the kit some time this summer. Strong ifs for the win!

for me, i would have to get the taco box to go with 37s to make an effective rock crawler, also gears.... which bring me to the second tooc of discussion...

80 series can be re geared at the center diff, the threads are on here im not going to link them at this time, maybe later... but since the 150 uses the torson center diff you would imagine we could do the same... once correct gear ratios can be cut. it would be easier and maybe cheaper to do 1 diff instead of 2

thoughts?
Going 42 projects here.

Going 42 projects here.

really freaking cool! however, for that kind of money, I would rather have a built mini truck and absolutely destroy everything but the craziest jeeps. The GX would do fine towing the trailer and the mini truck to rubicon.

really freaking cool! however, for that kind of money, I would rather have a built mini truck and absolutely destroy everything but the craziest jeeps. The GX would do fine towing the trailer and the mini truck to rubicon.

for the cost of the hd kit you could definitely get a whole built mini truck lol but like they say in the thread, he wanted hardcore ifs specific to rock crawling, and hes proved it on pretty hardcore trails. not to mention its all built around the Mar-rack which has also proved its self against the 40”s. i think people would be foolish to get the kit with out marlins rack

for the cost of the hd kit you could definitely get a whole built mini truck lol but like they say in the thread, he wanted hardcore ifs specific to rock crawling, and hes proved it on pretty hardcore trails. not to mention its all built around the Mar-rack which has also proved its self against the 40”s. i think people would be foolish to get the kit with out marlins rack

Cool project and it's definitely a challenge, is it practical? Most likely no.

Also front is one thing and then there is the rear axle......need 80 axle swap or dayna 60 for 37 or 40. Then the poor little V6 is going to suck bad......oh the slippery slope.

Last edited:
Cool project and it's definitely a challenge, is it practical? Most likely no.

Also front is one thing and then there is the rear axle......need 80 axle swap or dayna 60 for 37 or 40. Then the poor little V6 is going to suck bad......oh the slippery slope.

no v6, ive got the gx, 8.2 rear will hold 37’s fine i think but maybe not, marlins taco has the new 8.75 rear so that is probably considerably stronger, its holding 40’s fine for the moment lol wait for those to start showing up in junk yards, the taco box is needed as well, slow and steady will not break things. i dont think any motor sports practical on the wallet lol, but if someone was considering the sas, this would probably not be alot cheaper but less work and pain with comparable results

no v6, ive got the gx, 8.2 rear will hold 37’s fine i think but maybe not, marlins taco has the new 8.75 rear so that is probably considerably stronger, its holding 40’s fine for the moment lol wait for those to start showing up in junk yards, the taco box is needed as well, slow and steady will not break things. i dont think any motor sports practical on the wallet lol, but if someone was considering the sas, this would probably not be alot cheaper but less work and pain with comparable results

8.2 will hold ok with 37 and 4Runner but at almost 6000lbs loaded the GX might be a bit much for the 8.2 axle. Might want to get an 80 rear.

Just go 54s then. Then you can crawl over the KOH Jeep’s in a GXL

Last edited:
8.2 will hold ok with 37 and 4Runner but at almost 6000lbs loaded the GX might be a bit much for the 8.2 axle. Might want to get an 80 rear.

yea i agree with that they are heavy as hell

Just go 54s then. Then you can crawl over the KOH Jeep’s in a GXL

i think it would look like tube monster with a dash of gx on top by the time those would get put on lol. i wonder how the steel city race truck held up with the ifs in the 4600 class

yea i agree with that they are heavy as hell

I accept the GX and the 150 series as a baby LC and a generalist of generalists. It does everything relatively well but nothing amazing, same thing can even be said about the mighty 80. Regardless amount of money or effort spent by some to turn them into a rock crawler it simply won’t be. Much easier, cheaper and better to leave them or make minor improvements and then get a dedicated rock crawler like a mini truck or samurai or old Jeep and go to town. No matter what you do to a 150 it simply won’t be able to come close a 10k built mini truck with marlin crawler gears.....not even in the same zip code. AND you will actually rock crawl with it instead of mall crawling.

Btw my GX is an excellent mall crawler even in its current almost stock form, no issues yet. :flipoff2:

I accept the GX and the 150 series as a baby LC and a generalist of generalists. It does everything relatively well but nothing amazing, same thing can even be said about the mighty 80. Regardless amount of money or effort spent by some to turn them into a rock crawler it simply won’t be. Much easier, cheaper and better to leave them or make minor improvements and then get a dedicated rock crawler like a mini truck or samurai or old Jeep and go to town. No matter what you do to a 150 it simply won’t be able to come close a 10k built mini truck with marlin crawler gears.....not even in the same zip code. AND you will actually rock crawl with it instead of mall crawling.

Btw my GX is an excellent mall crawler even in its current almost stock form, no issues yet. :flipoff2:

yes but your the one wanting to do the hard core stuff lol, i want the regular duty kit with a mar rack to conquer everything i want with no breaks, i have zero desire for his hd kit and 40’s and hard lines and pushing the truck to the absolute limits, i think that would be better off sas’d anyway purpose built rather than dual purpose like im looking for. parking lots are pretty snowy right now im trying to stay out of them hahaha ⛄ wouldnt want to get stuck now haha

yes but your the one wanting to do the hard core stuff lol, i want the regular duty kit with a mar rack to conquer everything i want with no breaks, i have zero desire for his hd kit and 40’s and hard lines and pushing the truck to the absolute limits, i think that would be better off sas’d anyway purpose built rather than dual purpose like im looking for. parking lots are pretty snowy right now im trying to stay out of them hahaha ⛄ wouldnt want to get stuck now haha

Same here, our GX is a proud baby sled and mall/costco crawler!

I do however want slightly bigger tires and MAYBE a lift.....mainly because GX sits rather low for the occasional rock on forest roads. Other than that I’m leaving it stock, I have the luxury of taking the 80 to much harder/actual trails but with kids that’s very few and far between. :bang:

Personally I have no issues with taking the stock GX to any forest roads or deserts, in stock form it has been proven to be reliable across worlds’ harshest places. Outside of a little ground clearance and more durable tires the 150 needs very little if anything at all for most “overlanding” outings.

Last edited:
Wonder what one would need for suspension to properly stuff a 37" tire under our wheel wells?
May even need a body lift, which I'm not a fan of, but I did build my own body lift for my 100 series Landcruiser so I can get 35" tires on it. I only lifted the body 1.75", just enough to get full suspension compression with the tires fully stuffed in the wheel wells.
I also have serious concerns regarding what those size tires would impact:
  • Braking/stopping power and/or distance. That's a lot of stress on the brakes.
  • Brake lines and anything else connected to the suspension when lifting that high.
  • Turning radius. You ain't gonna be turning as tight on trails with that big 'ol tire!
  • Breaking drive shafts and/or diff's. This is common when there's a lot of torque trying to spin huge tires.
  • Inside wheel well rubbing. Both in the front and rear when fully off camber and locked steering wheel to left or right.
  • The ride will probably suck after it's all said and done.
  • Should I even mention the noise from such large tires?
Let's face it, our rigs make for awesome overland/expedition vehicles, are comfortable and will go pretty much anywhere with common sense modifications.
I'll just leave the 37" tires to someone who has money to burn to do it correctly or just wants a mall cruiser.

Wonder what one would need for suspension to properly stuff a 37" tire under our wheel wells?
May even need a body lift, which I'm not a fan of, but I did build my own body lift for my 100 series Landcruiser so I can get 35" tires on it. I only lifted the body 1.75", just enough to get full suspension compression with the tires fully stuffed in the wheel wells.
I also have serious concerns regarding what those size tires would impact:
  • Braking/stopping power and/or distance. That's a lot of stress on the brakes.
  • Brake lines and anything else connected to the suspension when lifting that high.
  • Turning radius. You ain't gonna be turning as tight on trails with that big 'ol tire!
  • Breaking drive shafts and/or diff's. This is common when there's a lot of torque trying to spin huge tires.
  • Inside wheel well rubbing. Both in the front and rear when fully off camber and locked steering wheel to left or right.
  • The ride will probably suck after it's all said and done.
  • Should I even mention the noise from such large tires?
Let's face it, our rigs make for awesome overland/expedition vehicles, are comfortable and will go pretty much anywhere with common sense modifications.
I'll just leave the 37" tires to someone who has money to burn to do it correctly or just wants a mall cruiser.

check out the article i posted, marin crawler has developed a “ rock crawling” lt kit. he has 40’s on a taco with only a bmc

Same here, our GX is a proud baby sled and mall/costco crawler!

I do however want slightly bigger tires and MAYBE a lift.....mainly because GX sits rather low for the occasional rock on forest roads. Other than that I’m leaving it stock, I have the luxury of taking the 80 to much harder/actual trails but with kids that’s very few and far between. :bang:

Personally I have no issues with taking the stock GX to any forest roads or deserts, in stock form it has been proven to be reliable across worlds’ harshest places. Outside of a little ground clearance and more durable tires the 150 needs very little if anything at all for most “overlanding” outings.

i almost got a hdj81 i kick myself everyday for not following through lol, but yes i agree with you the 150 is an excelent platform for 90% of what people do and ive been happy with mine minus all these gad damn lexus sensors and little things that act wacky lol.

but you have an 80 what do you think about the center diff regear? thats what i really want to pick peoples brains on. the 80’s had a gear cutter in japan cranking out good sets for guys on 37’s + from what i read, im just curious if its a viable option, 150 platform just might not be there yet

i almost got a hdj81 i kick myself everyday for not following through lol, but yes i agree with you the 150 is an excelent platform for 90% of what people do and ive been happy with mine minus all these gad damn lexus sensors and little things that act wacky lol.

but you have an 80 what do you think about the center diff regear? thats what i really want to pick peoples brains on. the 80’s had a gear cutter in japan cranking out good sets for guys on 37’s + from what i read, im just curious if its a viable option, 150 platform just might not be there yet

I have regeared the lower range to be 25% slower/lower. Ideal setup would be regear the diffs also to 5.29 and then under drive or taller gear at high range then lower low range. That way you get very low low range gear for crawling and acceptable highway cruising rpm. However I do plan on going turbo and too cheap to do 3 more gears so I’ll stick with what I got and add turbo to address the power issue. I probably will go 37 after turbo but my 35s has less than 2000 miles on them...... :bang:

As far as 150 goes I don’t think there is enough axles, 80 is a few hundred pounds heavier but has 9.5 rear and 8.5 front diff. The strength difference is quite large, this is why people run 35s and 37s on 80 with minimum modifications as supposed to everyone else needing $15k plus of mods to wheel somewhat reliably. In most cases axle upgrade is needed once approaching 37.

Some people say the gx is the next 80, sorry but it’s not remotely close. The only 80 replacement would be a 105 or SASed 100 or 200. OR tow a cheap built mini truck, it is so ridiculously good and fun, puts a built 80 to shame. Rubicon on even a well built 80 is still a struggle but a walk in the park for a well done mini truck.

Just saying.....

I didn't have an 80 series but I had a 100 series that I expo'ed out.
That included front TJM air locker (already had factory rear e-locker) re-geared front and rear diff's.
AND did the Marlin Crawler transfer case re-gear.
The transfer case re-gear is not as drastic as for some of the other models, but I felt I could climb trees with it!
It was pretty awesome!

I have regeared the lower range to be 25% slower/lower. Ideal setup would be regear the diffs also to 5.29 and then under drive or taller gear at high range then lower low range. That way you get very low low range gear for crawling and acceptable highway cruising rpm. However I do plan on going turbo and too cheap to do 3 more gears so I’ll stick with what I got and add turbo to address the power issue. I probably will go 37 after turbo but my 35s has less than 2000 miles on them...... :bang:

As far as 150 goes I don’t think there is enough axles, 80 is a few hundred pounds heavier but has 9.5 rear and 8.5 front diff. The strength difference is quite large, this is why people run 35s and 37s on 80 with minimum modifications as supposed to everyone else needing $15k plus of mods to wheel somewhat reliably. In most cases axle upgrade is needed once approaching 37.

Some people say the gx is the next 80, sorry but it’s not remotely close. The only 80 replacement would be a 105 or SASed 100 or 200. OR tow a cheap built mini truck, it is so ridiculously good and fun, puts a built 80 to shame. Rubicon on even a well built 80 is still a struggle but a walk in the park for a well done mini truck.

Just saying.....

there is. no way the gx is the new 80! sin! haha the 80 was the last true 4wheel drive toyota in the usa one magazine said lol i agree. i would kill for a 105 series! i knew youd throw a marlin mini truck vid in there. have you seen torfabs 60 series with the 2.8 and tripple cases? oh good lord that thing is sexy lol

there is. no way the gx is the new 80! sin! haha the 80 was the last true 4wheel drive toyota in the usa one magazine said lol i agree. i would kill for a 105 series! i knew youd throw a marlin mini truck vid in there. have you seen torfabs 60 series with the 2.8 and tripple cases? oh good lord that thing is sexy lol

You made me look up that rig and......I need a private moment please.:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom