Who have you pulled out/been pulled out by? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

after 40 years of driving fj40s i cant count the vehicles that ive pulled out.i have always had a winch and usually got myself out.i rolled a cruiser doing donuts in a parking lot and a pontiac station wagon pulled it back on its wheels back in the 70s.

The only story I have is sort of the opposite. I did a two day event here in TN and was the only vehicle all weekend to NOT winch or be winched. Of course I was the only Toyota and was up against Jeeps of all kinds. All were locked front and rear with the exception of one. I am locked front and rear and on 33" KM2s with no lift. This shot is of me on a hill climb that had everyone else winching. It doesn't look bad but to the driver's left is a huge drop-off and our tracks were on the edge. In fact as we came up the shoulder was giving way a little more with each vehicle. Most were too afraid of the shoulder so they were hitting the rock, bouncing and loosing traction. I just took my time and drove right up with no problems.

‪FZJ80 hillclimb at Windrock‬‏ - YouTube

I've been pulled out many times. The only story worth mentioning concerning pulling others out happened a few years ago, about 2-3 weeks after buying the 80.

We had a crazy month of snow in Denver, about 12-24" coming down just about every week in December. During the second storm I helped pull out 3 F-350s loaded with sand and snowplows on the front of each. They all worked for the same company, as well as the tow-truck they called. They were blocking the entire exit ramp from the highway, and I couldn't get to work without pulling them out. Had to drive off the side, then into and through about 5' of snow for 40' to get around them. After pulling them all out, one of the guys said, "Is that a Landrover?" "Nope, it's a Toyota, it's better." :grinpimp:

About two days later, I got high centered on a foot and a half of hard-pack, and almost had to get pulled out by a 2WD Jeep Liberty. :bang::censor: Thankfully a plow truck came along instead. :meh:

Trophy Day, my final section for that day....

That was the worst they ever had to pull me out , my Warn 9000i didnt even get it out with the use of a undersized snatch block that broke while trying to get the 40 out. Get the MOG!

AMT-j4-mud.jpg

35´s
AMT-j4-mud2.jpg

First try.......after watching a dancing Unimog the strap snapped... no way Jose.
AMT-j4-mud3.jpg

Spinning wheels in a wet concrete like sand-mud-mix.
AMT-j4-mud4.jpg

Better idea, get it back where it came from.
AMT-j4-mud6.jpg

After 6-8 hard banging Unimog pulls, finaly out of the doodoo.
AMT-j4-mud7.jpg

YES! IH8MUD, the complete frame was filled up with that sand-mud crap... :doh:

Oh....nearly forgot James Asti and *Chaser* giving me double winch help at CruiseMoab98 in Pritchett Canyon...........
cruisemoab-sadtler-peter2.jpg

No other pics of that ...Crawford-Pete ... different story...:doh:

My favorite self taken winching picture!!!

Cruisemoab-sadtler-winch.jpg

Helldorado / Waterfall
Henry Brimmers BJ60 as winching rig, dont remember the 40 owners name.

Most embarrassing stuck: Lived in a sloped, wooded lot in east TN. At the bottom of my driveway was a steep grassy slope. Pulled down there in my 94 Toy pickup to load some of the logs I had cut. My open-differentialed Toy was no match for wet grass on an incline. Was yanked out by a BMW 325i. Had a Detroit locker and lockrite installed a few weeks later.

Memorable stuck. In college I drove an 82 Subaru wagon (with low range). In winter at the DH Lawrence ranch in NM, my wife and I came across a woman in a rental car that had slid its tailend in a ditch. Hooked up a tow strap and pulled her back on the road no problem. She told me that she was a PBS executive from the east coast and told me how thankful she was and asked for my address to send me a little thanks. A month or so later I received a Sesame Street t-shirt in the mail. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom