Who Has Sliders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to decide whether to remove my running boards and leave it at that or add sliders. Honestly, if I add sliders they will possibly never serve their purpose; I have another truck for that. But...... they may be useful for my wife and old friends for getting in and out of the truck. And some sliders look pretty nice.

I have White Knuckles on my FJ60. They work great and look great too. I especially like how they kick out on the trailing end, by the rear tires. So I will consider those.

What do you have and do you like them? Can you post some pics?

Preesh.

I have the same dilemma and keep going back and forth on this issue. If I was to buy I'd spend the extra $$ on Slee Sliders.

No kick out, but an excellent, grippy step surface and very nice looking to boot...

IMG_9235.JPG

I like Slee stuff certainly but hope whatever I buy (if I buy) will not require taps, relocation of stuff and such.

White Knuckle here. The factory steps didn't last the first real wheeling trip (Ouray). I'm happy with the WKO stuff, have had his sliders on a few trucks now. In this pic I'm actually wedged in there on the kick-out. Its nice for loading/everyday, but it does make the truck a bit wider.
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 4.39.52 PM.png

White Knuckle here. The factory steps didn't last the first real wheeling trip (Ouray). I'm happy with the WKO stuff, have had his sliders on a few trucks now. In this pic I'm actually wedged in there on the kick-out. Its nice for loading/everyday, but it does make the truck a bit wider.
View attachment 1445465

Are you saying that the kick-out resulted in you getting STUCK between boulders?

Are you saying that the kick-out resulted in you getting STUCK between boulders?

One reason I don't make kickouts for my sliders. Even worse, is when you see the guy in front of you watching one side going around something and they hit the kickout and it pushes the opposite quarter panel into an obstacle... OUCH!

Kick outs are definetly a personal preference. I love them, some don't. We all have our own wheeling style, but one thing for sure is that sliders, in general, are needed off-road with the exception of sand and mud racing. But damn are they great to prevent door dings in parking lots.

And with that, I've got some Slee sliders for sale, a few hundred off and can ship for pretty cheap.

I roll the Metaltechs, we have come down on them hard and so far so good! And they are wife approved for getting in and out!
email4734.jpg

I have the Slee, perfect protection for everyday parking lot doors on top of the off-road protection.
Definitely worth it both for on and off road.

Never realized your slider had such a small kick out. Or maybe that is just the angle. Seems smaller than the White Knuckle.

Since kick out vs. no kick out seems like the dilemma of the week, perhaps those on the fence should consider yours?

If you're not going to use them for the intended purpose I wouldn't put them on.....they heavy.
The day I installed mine I felt the additional weight. There's another perspective for you to ponder

I'm in the same position, to buy or not. Honestly the protection sliders provide even if you are unlikely to need them seems to far outweigh their cost. They are running boards on steroids that actually do something.

Not stuck, but took a different approach to get through the on direction.

For me, the kickout makes loading the rack easier. YMMV

So this has me curious now. My Slees work great for accessing my rack. Is it possible that the width of the Slees is the same as the width of some kickouts? Or said another way, is the portion in front of the kick out narrower than the Slee? (I haven't seen sliders with kick outs side by side with the Slees. And I realize they're not all made the same. )

I've got sliders on my list. I had actually decided on Slee's for a number of reasons. I have to say, though, that I don't like rivet-nuts.

Is a bolt-on slider on the 200 series possible?

So this has me curious now. My Slees work great for accessing my rack. Is it possible that the width of the Slees is the same as the width of some kickouts? Or said another way, is the portion in front of the kick out narrower than the Slee? (I haven't seen sliders with kick outs side by side with the Slees. And I realize they're not all made the same. )

I noticed from Kreiten's photo that the metaltech kickout is pretty subtle compared to some. It looks like the kick is only about the additional width of the outer tube or so... Perhaps the Slee is a bit wider along the full
length...hard to tell. Maybe @kreiten can measure his, report back, and I'll do the same.

Has anyone actually weighed the running boards? I wonder what the actual weight difference is between them and aftermarket sliders. I am sure there is a difference but I wonder how much.

I've got sliders on my list. I had actually decided on Slee's for a number of reasons. I have to say, though, that I don't like rivet-nuts.

Is a bolt-on slider on the 200 series possible?

Just for some clarification, not all bolts we use go into the rivet nuts. There are 30 M8 bolts and two 1/2" bolts in the kit, but only 14 rivet nuts. So about half the bolts go into factory installed nuts. More on earlier trucks since the front foot location has factory nuts installed.
F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom