White smoke... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I was driving my truck going around 35-40 when out of the back it started pouring white smoke with a blue tint. I know this indicative of oil burning so I figured it may have been just a little so I pulled over and let it run for a minute or 2.

Eventually the smoke stopped so I put it back in drive and went along and it started again but this time the truck was vibrating very roughly.

I towed it to a mechanic but they weren't there so it's parked for the night.

Any advice on what could be the problem?

History relative to the issue, about 345k on it, replaced the valve cover gasket back in March, changed oil this past week and went with Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w 40.

I've only put about 15 miles on it since the oil change but in that 15 miles everything seemed normal.

Not saying it is, but could be the head gasket.

Bummer if it is.:mad:

That's a heck of a long run, whatever it is, if it's the first internal meltdown of any kind you've experienced.

head gasket?
coolant level?

Not saying it is, but could be the head gasket.

Bummer if it is.:mad:

That's a heck of a long run, whatever it is, if it's the first internal meltdown of any kind you've experienced.

I've only had it 11 months but yea that's the only major issue it has had that I know of in it's 19 years.

I wasn't able to check the coolant because it was so hot when I dropped it off but going back to check it tomorrow when I go back to the shop I left it with.

Sure sounds like a blown HG, unfortunately. :frown:

If so, completely coincidental and unrelated to things like your recent oil change, so don't beat yourself up over it.

Are you planning to have the machanic look at it first, or...?

Hang in there,

Curtis

Yea not kicking myself over it, the thing has had a long life so I knew it was bound to happen.

Going to have the mechanic look at it and if they are up to the challenge, to replace it. I am not mechanically inclined enough to begin tackling that task.

Just want to add, after we towed it to the shop, cranked it up and revved the engine up to about 2k and there was no more smoke. Don't know if that's anything that helps.

HGs usually don't blow suddenly, did it overheat? Was there any coolant in the overflow?

No overheating and I think the overflow was bone dry but I will double check it tomorrow along with coolant level

No overheating and I think the overflow was bone dry but I will double check it tomorrow along with coolant level
It may have been going for a while and/or you may have air in the cooling system. That can cause excessive heat in one area and may not have shown on the gauge.

It may have been going for a while and/or you may have air in the cooling system. That can cause excessive heat in one area and may not have shown on the gauge.

It's possible. I really haven't had time to drive it much since I have been busy looking for work but today I figured I would take it for a drive before a camping trip up to Arkansas next week.

Glad I decided to do it today rather than being stuck in the boonies with a blown HG.

It's really an issue I don't need right now (like there is ever a good time for it huh) but I'm actually taking it pretty well. Got a good deal on the truck and it's been a champ thus far, at least I know once this is knocked out I shouldn't have any more worries for 300k miles more lol

Off to find a large piece of wood to knock on now.

Keep us posted, I hope it all works out.

HGs usually don't blow suddenly, did it overheat? Was there any coolant in the overflow?

hahaha yes they do!!!! i had a 90 toy pick up i had it was fine one minute and literally two miles later i looked like one of those stunt planes flyin down 1-80... the motor only had 120k on it..but it was the dreaded 3vz

i'm willing to put money on it being a blown head gasket....it running ruff means its got a bad mis fire due to the coolant getting into the combustion chamber

I've only put about 15 miles on it since the oil change but in that 15 miles everything seemed normal.

Any chance that the oil filter was not properly installed, missing the gasket or not tightened.

it was fine one minute and literally two miles later i looked like one of those stunt planes flyin down 1-80

That describes my smoke emissions to a T it was like a stunt plane.

Any chance that the oil filter was not properly installed, missing the gasket or not tightened.

I made sure before putting the filter on that the gasket was in and that it was tight.

Update:

Went back this morning, water was definitely in the oil. Found a mechanic who is going to do the job for $600 + parts. Is that a relatively decent deal?

That's as good a deal as you are likely to find.

That's as good a deal as you are likely to find.

Figured it would be. It's also covering having the head inspected at a machine shop his brother owns.

Going to call Dan Monday and order the head kit.

Anyone have any suggestions of what else to check/replace while i have the head removed?

Anyone have any suggestions of what else to check/replace while i have the head removed?

Since you're not doing it yourself, the answer gets a little muddled. Talk to your mechanic, if he's not going to charge you extra to put on a new part vs reinstalling the old one, then replace anything that is at a risk of failure. If its going to cost extra labor, there's not much reason to spend the extra money now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom