Which way around does the handbrake dogbone go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've just rebuilt my handbrake assembly with a Terrain Tamer kit, and had a quick question regarding the handbrake dogbone.

In many videos and images I've seen the dogbone as shown below....

20231005_170616.jpg

The poky bit on one side points out, as shown in the red circle.

On my 450, the old gear had one poky bit pointing out as above, but on the other side the poky bit was pointing in.

After looking at more images and videos, I have seen several cases with the poky bit pointing in.

The reason this is important is because at one end of the dogbone, the legs are an unequal length, as shown in the red circle below...

20231005_171026.jpg

Unfortunately the diagrams in my FSM are not clear enough to show which orientation the poky bit should be.

With my rebuild, I have pointed the poky bit inwards, and my reasoning for this is because the longer dogbone leg then sits behind the moving swing arm which is on the forward shoe.

However my reasoning could be wrong, and if someone has a better explanation of why the dogbone should be oriented one particular way, it would be great to hear it!

Best from Norway!

Mark

I don't know if this will help, I'm rebuilding my brakes as well.

IMG_4982.jpeg

IMG_4987.jpeg

The extrusion side along with the rectangular spring faces away from the caliper with the extrusion on the outside. IOW, towards the rear of the vehicle.
Keep in mind that there is a left side and a right side shoe strut. That's what Toyota calls it.

Hey,

Thanks for the piks! So both sides on yours show the poky bit pointing out.

Any chance you know if your setup is the original gear??

Best

Mark

The extrusion side along with the rectangular spring faces away from the caliper with the extrusion on the outside. IOW, towards the rear of the vehicle.
Keep in mind that there is a left side and a right side shoe strut. That's what Toyota calls it.
Hi Jon, I took the above pics prior to disassembly (obviously, Duh) Do the shoe struts look correct? I have never replaced the parking brakes since owning this rig and you can never tell who did what prior to.

Hey,

Thanks for the piks! So both sides on yours show the poky bit pointing out.

Any chance you know if your setup is the original gear??

Best

Mark
Hi Mark, I have no idea if anything is original in there, not even the orientation. This is my first 80 parking brake experience. I asked @jonheld (cruiser guru, I think he was on the LCML from way back) if the pics look correct

Hey,

I found a more informative image from the japanparts website, which shows the poky bit pointing out and the shorter leg sitting inside. The image of the dogbone in my FSM is completely symmetric compared to the one below....

20231005_200405.jpg

Best

Mark

Hi Jon, I took the above pics prior to disassembly (obviously, Duh) Do the shoe struts look correct? I have never replaced the parking brakes since owning this rig and you can never tell who did what prior to.
Not sure what side we're looking at in that picture. I need a wider shot, but as long as the extrusion is on the opposite side of the caliper, you're OK.
Caliper is mounted to the front side of the backing plate. The extrusion should be towards the rear along with the rectangular spring that fits over that side of the strut.
When looking at the left rear wheel, the extrusion is on the right, when looking at the right rear wheel, the extrusion is on the left.

Not sure what side we're looking at in that picture. I need a wider shot, but as long as the extrusion is on the opposite side of the caliper, you're OK.
Caliper is mounted to the front side of the backing plate. The extrusion should be towards the rear along with the rectangular spring that fits over that side of the strut.
When looking at the left rear wheel, the extrusion is on the right, when looking at the right rear wheel, the extrusion is on the left.
Top picture is right side (NA passenger), bottom pic is left side. Looks like the orientation is correct, I reinstalled the dogbones per the pictures I took

Hey Phil,

I think you've got yours in the correct way, and I need to turn mine around. I'm not sure it makes any difference, but I'm going to change mine. My handbrake is currently working, not brilliantly on a super steep incline, but it is holding on a moderate slope. I need to wind my adjuster out a couple more teeth maybe.

Best

Mark

Hey,

The videos from this channel are fantastic! I really like his knuckle rebuild video.

If you go to 22min10sec into the video, you'll see he put the new dogbone in with the poky bit pointing in, several people made comments about it in the comments section that it was flipped over compared to how the old dogbone came out.

I still have no understanding of why the poky bit should point out, but if you do point it in, there is still heaps of clearance to the backing plate, it doesn't foul on anything, and the swing arm still functions normally.

Best

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom