Which trail repairs have you made? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My list:

brake caliper bolt coming loose (absolutely terrifying)
passenger side lower coilover bolt coming loose

Needless to say torque wrenches are my best friend now.

Last edited:
The only things I've actually had break on a trail were a tail light, a rear diff (ring gear) and the ADD controller on the front axle. None was field-repairable (the ring gear drove home 1,000 miles!).

I have replaced several CV joints/front half-shafts for other people though.

I'm similar to @1911 used most of my spares on others. My personal list is re-torqued bolts on RCV CV axle, reseated tire bead, cutting off TRD tailpipe after I bent it in half, all operator error, not equipment failures...

I've helped others replace cv's, rebuild knuckles, adjust carburetors, pull driveshaft, UCA replaced after pounded straight...

This is a great question, I would love to read more answers, maybe we are not wheeling hard enough? Or Toyotas are built to take it?
I will say to this question that I have had to self-rescue with my winch 3 times in my wheelin years with my 2012TTSE. Of course, it was my fault every time for wheelin alone. But I do know how to use snatchblocks and winches so the self-rescue wasn't too difficult. I did have wife and son with me but no other vehicle.
This question leads to a comment that we should all think about getting together in our areas and teaching each other how to perform trail repairs/rescues before we get stuck out there. Not only for the new members but I bet most of us could learn some procedures that are new to us, just thinking out loud .

Last edited:
This is a great question, I would love to read more answers, maybe we are not wheeling hard enough? Or Toyotas are built to take it?
I will say to this question that I have had to self-rescue with my winch 3 times in my wheelin years with my 2012TTSE. Of course, it was my fault every time for wheelin alone. But I do know how to use snatchblocks and winches so the self-rescue wasn't too difficult. I did have wife and son with me but no other vehicle.
This question leads to a comment that we should all think about getting together in our areas and teaching each other how to perform trail repairs/rescues before we get stuck out there. Not only for the new members but I bet most of us could learn some procedures that are new to us, just thinking out loud .

Great idea. Seems we have a concentration of folks on the west coast.

Personally I've self-recovered about 3-4 times using my maxtrax (no winch) but I'm still at stock tire size.

The repairs that intimidate me most are ones that'd hinder my ability to be dragged out.... broken ball joints, tie rods, etc. Also more unnerving is most reports on ball joint replacements involve shop presses, and not just c-clamp presses.

Even though I don't need to do so I want to replace my front end just so I can say I know how using the tools I carry. A chilly and rainy PNW day on the mountain isn't the time to realize I'm unable to fix something.

Ha, can of worms over here... but I also carry all the tools needed for just about any repair along with critical spares.

• Changed several CV assemblies on trail or in camp. Got it down to about 20 minutes.
  • Had a bad ADD actuator that went out on a trailhead. I just removed it, manually shifted the halfshaft collar, rotated the ADD shift fork to match and put it back on. Did it all in reverse once I got off the trail. Then fixed the actuator at home.
  • Never bent one myself, but helped and gave spares away for inner tie rods.
  • Never had a ball joint fail (Total Chaos upper or Factory lower), but saw a SPC upper fail on the trail last October at Hot Springs ORV.
  • One of the easiest things to bend on the rocks is the lower control arms on the rear axle - the stock ones are pretty flimsy. I gave a factory spare away to someone who got in over their heads at Hot Springs ORV in a stock FJC.
  • I've removed a ring gear from the rear axle in a 5-6 hour ordeal in a Home Depot parking lot (one of those early batches of factory gears in 2007) and drove to the dealership in front wheel drive only. They replaced the front diff too, under warranty ;)

Yeah I've heard of many SPC ball joint failures now. That reminds me I need to buy a spare for that...

I have aftermarket rear lower links. My first mod actually.

Buying a spare ADD actuator is on my list, along with breaking into it to see how to manually engage it from the comfort of my condo parking lot :)

I've been lucky, so far, only had to replace a battery. Plates arced together after coming over an obstacle hard. Luckily one of the guys in my group was running a dual setup so i could use his to finish the day...

• Had a bad ADD actuator that went out on a trailhead. I just removed it, manually shifted the halfshaft collar, rotated the ADD shift fork to match and put it back on. Did it all in reverse once I got off the trail. Then fixed the actuator at home.

Yep, that is the way to do it for sure. The first time mine broke was at Katemcy Rocks in Texas, and I didn't have my FSM with me, so rather than tear into it without, I engaged my front diff lock and got one front wheel driven, and that 3WD got me through the trail and back to camp.

Mine has stayed fixed for a while (original and factory replacement both failed), but if it ever fails again I'm just going to do what you said Rick and leave it that way.

Buying a spare ADD actuator is on my list, along with breaking into it to see how to manually engage it from the comfort of my condo parking lot :)

Be sure to be sitting down when you see the price for a new one at the dealer!

You can repair it (and improve it) by yourself though, by just soldering the power wires to the motor contacts - the stock configuration is just a press fit that is prone to corrosion and failure.

I had a bolt in my rear suspension come half out after losing the nut on trail. Didn't notice it gone until I was back on pavement... the rig wanted to change lanes when I got on the brakes. I was close by a 4x4 shop I had been meaning to check out. They fixed it free... and by so doing won a loyal customer.

The only repair I've done on trail (in my rig) is change a tire...

P.S. The lost nut incident taught me to good pre-run inspections.... as it was likely loose for a while before I lost it.

worst thing I've had is a cut tire, so swapping to spare, knocking on wood

on my friends rigs...
-Replaced CVs (can do in about 20-30 minutes now)
-replaced u joints
-lost nuts on UCA bolt, so bolt worked forward and the UCA collapsed into the well (FYI you wont be able to find a 14mm nut at lowes/home depot, but a lug nut from advanced auto parts will get you home)
-via phone instructed how to tear down rear end to take out pieces of blown ring and pinion gears on blown pumpkin so that rear could sping free again and truck could get home in front wheel drive
-tie rod end

I have a space cv, ball joints, tie rod ends, stock bolts/nuts for lower links, spare lug nuts... and tools to accomplish the jobs in my rig all the time.

The lost nut incident taught me to good pre-run inspections.
/// The lost nut incident taught me to good pre-run inspections.///
Always a good idea to take a look around and under the FJ before heading out. Almost sounds anal-retentive but it is good practice to torque up hardware before a trail meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom