Which tires are best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just stopped by Desert Rat for the rep's preference between BFG ATs (or MTs) and the Goodyear MT/R. ÊDesert Rat down here in Tucson sells both (though doesn't list the Goodyear tires on its Website).

Here's what he said: ÊIf on the road more than 50% with the vehicle, BFG ATs are the way to go---best all-around performance and wear. ÊGoodyear MT/Rs have stronger sidewalls, better for straight off-road, but BFG ATs are still very good.

Here's the clincher for me: ÊBFG ATs can expect to get at least 40K, while Goodyear MT/Rs only 20K (at least according to this guy for use around Tucson). ÊWhen both tires (from Desert Rat) run about $200 a piece for 285/75 R16 (or $930 for 5 installed), an additional $1K every 20K miles is a lot.

I'm not personally interested in the BFG MTs because snow and mud are, alas, not an issue down here.
Thanks for that. That is very interesting what he said. I really love my BFG AT KO's. Thet are great Off road.

I cant really speak for any other tires aside from the Goodyear MTRs since those are the first and only MTs I've run on my Crusier.  I've got a set of 35"s and have been quite happy with them on and offroad... even in the mud (shut up Junk).  However, I plan to put on a set of the BFGs next, due entirely to the life expectancy.  I've got 9k on the Goodyears so far and can see that I'll be replacing them by 20k.  For over nearly $800 a set I need to get more milage then that.  

I'd also like to hear more about the Procomp X-Terrains if anyone has any experience with them.

Between: MTR/s
             BFG Mud terrains
             SSR super swampers

My cruiser is a daily driver, so ride and noise play a part in my decision.  Not looking for rock crawling benefits, mud, snow and ice are what I drive through.
Opinions?

Yomama

I have run all three above tires on my rigs in just the last two years. I am currently running 39.5" Swampers on my rig and love them for use on a trail only rig. Here is a shot of them on my rig at a recent CalRocs event...
2038.jpg

They work great offroad but being a bias ply tire they don't work well at all on the street. They are far from round and are very poor on the street.

I have also run the 37 SSR tires and these have a very poor ability to stay together. Even on my light pickup they still came apart long before they wore out. Entire lugs simply flew off. One tire failed (blowout) on the freeway. I would never consider these for a 6000 lb cruiser.

The BFG's and Goodyears are both great tires and work well both on the street and trail. They also do a better job in wet/ice/snow conditions. This is probably due to the larger number of leading edges on these two tires. Both production tires have the same rubber desisity and are made with a similar compound and get nearly the same mileage.

I have not driven on the procomp tires but I have seen them work in competition. They work nearly identical to the BFG's and Goodyears. I spotted for Walker Evans last year in his Chevy S10 Rock Crawler and he ran Goodyear tires on it. When he sold it to Dustin Webster (Team Red Bull) Dustin put Procomp tires on and has been doing very well with the truck. From what I have seen the Pro Comp tires are working every bit as well as the GoodYears.

1978.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom