which Stihl saw for ripping with Alaska 30 inch mill? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 046 Magnum, but am worried about pulling 32 inch bar. 066 or 086? I will be ripping oak slabs for projects.

I have an 046 Magnum, but am worried about pulling 32 inch bar. 066 or 086? I will be ripping oak slabs for projects.

I suppose it depends on how wide the widest slabs are you plan to mill?

The 046 Magnum is a good powerful saw (for its size). About 77cc and 6hp IIRC, but I would think 30"-32" of bar buried in oak would be about all it would want.

Would you be milling only fresh cut Oak?

I'm assuming you will use 3/8" chain and a 7 pin rim? Skip chain or dedicated ripping chain might be helpful.

A 32" bar used on an Alaskan III mill will allow you about a 24" wide cut.

If you sharpen the chain correctly to slab oak, it will be slow but should be fine.

If you force it to cut, the clutch will slip and you will take out the oiler gear.

A 32" bar used on an Alaskan III mill will allow you about a 24" wide cut.

If you sharpen the chain correctly to slab oak, it will be slow but should be fine.

If you force it to cut, the clutch will slip and you will take out the oiler gear.

Could he use full comp if filed to 10° and uses an Aux. Oiler?

Thinking I should look for a good used 066. The tree we are looking at now will be pushing the limits of the 30 inch bars on the mill. Don't want to kill my 046.

Is 7 or 8 pin rim better?

7th sprocket will give torque in the cut.
8th sprocket will give you chain speed.

The debate between full skip, half skip and full comp chain depends on how hard you lean on the mill.
I preferred to use full skip since it has less teeth and I can sharpen it faster.

I have an 064 I bought with my Logosol mill 20 years ago. It's great. Make sure to get the Stihl Pico chain and drive sprocket, designed for ripping. Crosscut chains don't rip for, well, you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom