Which spare tire carrier spindle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Threads
211
Messages
1,865
Location
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Website
bj60landcruiseraddict.com
I know there are threads on this already in several forums...
What I want to know is what spindles does everyone have on here (brand)?
How long has it been on the truck? Any issues?
Was hoping to maybe check one or two out in person so I can decide which one to get.
Thanks!
J
 
Summit Machine. They're super beefy, and a top quality part. I have a couple sitting on the shelf so you can see all the guts, and if you ask nice I'd probably even sell you one ;-)

Bumper Fabrication | Accessories | Summit Machine

I can bring one to the next meeting if you can wait that long.
 
Hey Jason, if jzilla stutters on that extra spindle I'll take one.
Finally moving my rear bumper up to the top of the list.
And what have you got for a latch, do you use the camover welding jig/clamp style?
PM me with a price pretty please.

Thanks, and the skid plate is performing flawlessly buy the way.

Geordie.
 
Comp 4X4 is the ones I use, they are great, especially this one:
Tire Carrier Hinge Kit - Heavy Duty - 1-3/4" Mega Spindle
It comes with an additional sleeve for the bottom, so you never actually weld the main spindle rod the way you normally do. You still do it from the bottom but the main welding portion occurs on the additional sleeve. The double sheer version they offer is very nice as well.
I personally stay away from Brass bushing hinges and wouldn't take one for free ..... maybe for scrap metal to add to the beer fund...
 
Thanks for that info, I was leaning towards that one...Did you tack the sleeve in place just to prevent it from loosening?
Could I check it out on your truck sometime?
You can PM me.
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
It dependent on the application, in a couple cases, since the spindle was never going to be removed again and there was no real access to the underside of it, it was fully welded on the bottom. That caused a very nice, tight and secure finish that will not move and also has not been stressed by heat in the upper section (critical area).
I have also done others so they are easily removable, by drilling out a large hole on the bottom and using a bolt to secure it. That way it was easy to remove but still stable. It works OK in that format but becomes a lot more maintenance for the user, has to be removed a couple times a year, cleaned and oiled so it does not rust. The idea of a removable spindle appeals to some but it is more of a hassle to deal with.
 
I used a trailer hub assembly that is ment to weld to an axle (your regular princess auto special). You do have to cut the excess metal off, so a bit more work, and so far has held up good, but I think I only used it a year or two before I retired my 42 from serious wheeling, but it's still on there and working 3 or 4 years later from regular summer mall duty.:hillbilly:
Cheers,
Deny
 
I have been looking at the 4x4 labs one, very large and over built for its task. I'm not sure If I am going to use one for the tire swing and one for the jerry can swing or not, may use a lighter duty A to Z one for the jerry can swing.
 
Back
Top Bottom