Which Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To see the mods available for the 100 check out www.sleeoffroad.com (I often go there to browse and wish). The 100 is def. the way to go if on road ride is the priority, and you have the funds. For a stock vehicle the 100 is very capable offroad relative to the other newer stock suvs. I would assume that the 100 could climb a hill as steep as the 80, assuming a gradual incline, so max approach/departure angles don't come into play. But, I do not know what the max angle ratings on the 2 are.

-Matt

No matter how many times this topic comes up, I always read the entire thread like it was my first time on this board. My 60 is getting tired and I can't help but contemplate the never ending debate between the 80 and 100, as a potential purchase draws near. As some mentioned the only real way to solve this problem is to have one of each!! Having just visited Dubai, UAE and gone on an offroad safari tour I have new found respect for the 100s. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some of the video at some point. This particulary 100 had I6 (weird) and it was a 5spd (also strange). Proves again that the US doesnt get any of the cool stuff. Our Driver didn't speak a lick of english but he charged the dunes like nobody's business. I am impressed at the offraod capability that a completely stock 100 has. Granted dunes are only one type of terrain, but none the less it was impressive, and flying down the freeway at 100mph with 7 people wasn't to shabby either. And it was the IFS version, not the SFA version which i have seen in Oz. At points in the journery I felt like I was in Toyota commercial plowing through the sand, in some serene tv ad. With the little experience that I have had with both (love my 60), I would venture to say that they are both very capable and you probably won't go wrong with either one. You all will be the first to know which one i decide on...

Chuck

I've never heard of a 100 series with an I-6 / std tranny and IFS - unless it was a diesel. I always thought the "100" with a petrol I-6 had SFA, and is not a 100 at all, but a 105 - much more like an 80 than a 100 under the body.

I'm sure someone will straighten me out if I've got this all wrong...

Cheers, R -

from memory, in australia our comfort pack (sahara or some such rubbish) in the early 100's (before the V8 was released) got a pumped up I6 (like 4.5 litres or something). this is all from memory of a road test in a 4x4 mag a few years ago, so don't quote me on it.

DMX84,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to this thread.

>> But on a serious note can the 100 go up as steep of a hill as the 80? <<

Depends on the terrain. If it is a steep rocky hill with low traction then a stock 80 with solid axles and F&R diff locks will tackle tougher hills than a stock 100 with IFS and a rear diff lock. That's my opinion anyway, and it's a subjective answer to a hypothetical question so take that for what it's worth.

It sounds like a 100 might be a better choice for you unless you think your "trials riding" might evolve to some of the more difficult New Mexico trails. If so, then I would guide you toward the 80 with diff locks. The dogs will prefer the 80's sliding windows in the cargo area. Four can hang their heads out at the same time.

The 80 can be built into an extreme 4wd vehicle if that's your direction. Someday the 100 may have the same accessory choices but for now the 80 is better supported by the aftermarket industry. Both models will easily do all the things you mentioned.

Good luck in your vehicle search!

-B-
(PM me if you're interested in joining a local Toyota 4wd club in Albuquerque.)

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=11705;start=msg110798#msg110798 date=1077779488]
(PM me if you're interested in joining a local Toyota 4wd club in Albuquerque.)
[/quote]

That's it, I'm moving to Albuquerque! Honey - put out the fire and hitch the 80!

Riley

Riley,
You're already an honorary member. C-Dan and I talk about you at every meeting. :D

-B-

B

Whenever Simon's over visiting in the shop, both your name and Dan's come up as well. It ain't much of a club but it's all we got. :D :D

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom