1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Land Cruiser?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by DMX84, Feb 17, 2004.

1. DMX84

DMX84

Just got registered with you all last week. I have been trying to get the aviator set up and I am having difficulty getting it to take. The picture is 100x100 but not working. Please help.

But I first have a question about the Land Cruisers.
    I have always liked the 1997, however the ‘98,’99 100 series aren’t bad in my opinion. They have the optional rear diff lock and a very nice v8.
    Can you guys tell me if one is better than the other?
    The dealer said that he is getting a ’98 in and wants me to look at it this week.
    Should I wait for a 97 with f/r lockers?
    Also I have been looking at cars.com / Auto Trader etc. I have a 2003 Tacoma that I will need to trade in.

2. Rogue

Rogue

There are many differences of which the largest are...

-V8 as opposed to I6
    -IFS as opposed to SFA
    -The 80 has a slight size advantage

Need more info... The little button up top labeled "search" will be a great help to you as the differences have been covered many times.

3. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    100 cause I have one :flipoff2:

Seriously, what do you plan to do with your cruiser? For most wheeling conditions the 100 will hang with the 80. The 100 is better on road. 80 wins in extreme offroad conditions, and on the ability to modify it. Price is always a factor. Really depends on what you plan to do, and what you plan to spend...

On the aviator issue there is the 100x100 size limit and also a "k" size limit if I recall right.

-Matt

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

DMX84,
    As Rogue said, we'll need a little more information on how you plan to use the truck before we can make a solid recommendation between the 80 series and the 100 series. Both are capable vehicles and have different strengths.

Things we need to know:
    What do you plan to carry? (people, dogs, camping gear, clients, groceries, etc?)
    Where do you plan to take it? (paved roads, Rubicon, malls, forest roads, etc?)
    Who is going to drive it (wife, 16 yo kid, you, mom, dad, ?)
    What are your hobbies (kayaking, boating, photography, etc. ?)
    How long do you plan to be in it? (daily driver, 2 months in Alaska, weekend camping?)

All that information and more is what you'll need to convey to us if you want an informed recommendation; otherwise we'll transpose our usage to your request and you'll never get a concensus (probably won't anyway... :D )

-B-

5. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2] If your 'aviators' ain't taking flight , it's because they're 'avatars' .... sheeesh :flipoff2: . Anyway , Woody is still working on a fix for that so be patient ... I too have a bunch I'd like to upload , but will have to just have to keep busy tapping my slate table into dust .. *wink , wink , nudge , nudge - Woody *[/glow]

[glow=black,2,2]T Y L E R

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

6. Beowulf

Beowulf

My aviator works fine. What is the problem?

Speaking of aviators, and taking liberties with a newbies thread (hee hee)...

Does this one seem a little fatalistic? Too much gloom and doom? Is a fiery hell just too much for an aviator? How can I convey the power of the GDB without a melted skeleton?

And now back to the 4,000th thread on how to spend someone else's money on a truck. (assuming he ever gets around to BUYING one!) :D

-B-

7. Pitbull

Pitbull

I think the 100 series is a more upscale vehicle. The 80 series is better looking and tougher, metal even seems thicker??? The V8 in the 100 is more powerful, but the straight 6 in the 80 is a better engine that should last longer, plus it is smoother running (straight 6 and V-12's are smoother than any V-8). With that said some day I will get a 100 series since they don't make new 80 series anymore. Both are better than anything else on the market. It will be easier to find a good 100 series (low mileage etc.) then 80 series just because of availablity. JMHO

8. Rookie2

Rookie2

I was shocked :eek: to see this post has been up a whole day without a response from E9999, singing the glories of the 100. Anyways, since I got here first, you can ignore his propaganda :D.

The 80 looks better, wheels better, drinks gas better and is easier (up front) on the wallet.

Having said that... I love my brother's 100 too. You really can't go wrong either way, if you get a good one.

lol,
    R-dew

9. firetruck41

firetruck41

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=11705;start=msg106693#msg106693 date=1077081974]
    My aviator works fine. What is the problem?

Speaking of aviators, and taking liberties with a newbies thread (hee hee)...

Does this one seem a little fatalistic? Too much gloom and doom? Is a fiery hell just too much for an aviator? How can I convey the power of the GDB without a melted skeleton?

And now back to the 4,000th thread on how to spend someone else's money on a truck. (assuming he ever gets around to BUYING one!) :D

-B-
    [/quote]
    Since you asked... your aviator is quite gloomy and doomy, however it is appropriate to a "Global Destruct Button" :eek: The only real problem with it is that only those of us who know what it says can read it 'cuz the font is so small (at least on my screen) :p

10. Beowulf

Beowulf

OK, I'll ask photoman to work on a replacement. Back to an oldie for now. :D
    Don't worry, this old GDB still works though.

-B-

11. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

80 vs 100 eh?
    hmmm....
    looks to me like facts speak for themselves...! No additional comment needed! :doh:
    Sorry, Rookie... :D
    Eric

12. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=11705;start=msg107279#msg107279 date=1077208200]
    looks to me like facts speak for themselves...! No additional comment needed! :doh:
    Eric

[/quote]

I you want the best, only the 80 will satisfy. If you are a pansy, the 100 will do... :flipoff2:

13. Pitbull

Pitbull

[quote author=lizardking100 link=board=2;threadid=11705;start=msg107310#msg107310 date=1077211765

The only thing that doesn't make sense (IMO) is the claim that an I-6 is smoother than a V-8.

Engineering fact that I-6's and V-12's are more balanced smoother than a V-8 engine. :D

14. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

My (timing belt driven) I6s (5M-GE, 7M-GE, 7M-GTE) are absolutely the smoothest engine I have ever owned (in comparison, age to age with a MBZ V8), while the timing chain driven ones does a little worse (this include the 22RE(I4 trucks) and our FJZ's).

Just my experience...
    Frank.

15. DMX84

DMX84

This was previously posted under the compression title. Sorry for the repeat but thought that someone might have overlooked this important topic. :doh:

Is there a concern for the 80 series blowing head gaskets? I would like more info on what tends to go wrong with these vehicles 80 vs. 100. If you guys can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a guy calling me to look at a 1998 TLC fully loaded w/ rear diff lock with 60k miles. I know the 100 is better on the road, and I do like to drive fast. But the 80 series seems to be fine for the most part. I had also compared it with the Land Rover Discovery and found that the TLC 80 series out performed it. I went to the same hill as I did with the Disco, & the TLC was able to go up & over forward & backwards in high range. My wife is also impressed. The Disco just got halfway and started digging in with the traction control. :flipoff2:I do know that the traction control is not as good, but this hill was relatively small. Hell I even did it in my Toyota Tacoma Double Cab full of people! We then found a steeper hill and had to use the F&R locks in low range and it made it. My Taco did the same steep hill, full of people, but not as smooth as the LC. I also like all the modifications that can be done with the 80 series. A supercharger on the I6 ROCKS! :cheers:I also like the size of it, just right, the 100 just a bit big, but not too bad though.

16. DMX84

DMX84

:doh:My wife and I go camping every chance we get. At least once a month in the warm months. We go hunting every year, camping in our popup trailer for one to two weeks at a time. This year we went in October and it rained alot so we did some serious mud driving on those famous mount Taylor roads. If you don’t know what they are like, it was between 1 and 4 miles per hour crawling on the rocks, and don’t stop mud bogging on the main roads. :banana:

So, we always pack out our vehicle with camping gear and one or two dogs, plus pulling a packed out trailer. We need a vehicle that will pull our trailer while the vehicle itself is filled to capacity.
    I like to test drive 4X4’s on the loose dirt hills off the freeway going to Santa Fe, around La Bajada Hill area. We drove a ’97 out there and it climbed what a previously driven Land Rover Discovery wouldn’t climb. :flipoff2:

Everyday:
    My wife will drive it to work. We live in the east mountains and her work is right off the freeway so it is half I40 travel and half east mountain roads, all paved but about 1 ½ miles. Our driveway is quite a hill climb and we sometimes have to use 4X4 to get up. Been a while since we had that much snow though.

Hobbies:
    Camping, Trout fishing, Trials riding, anything outdoors!

Plan to carry:
    People, dogs, camping/hunting gear, groceries (Costco Mostly),
    6 nephews once a year- that’s not part of decision making though!!!! (No kids ourselves, only three dogs, two aging and one puppy. Our favorite saying when asked when are having kids, “We’ve only been married 14 years!” Too busy playing and spoiling ourselves! We would rather stop for a flat tire than to change a diaper or stop for the frequent bathroom breaks. That’s why we borrow those nephews once a year. It cures our baby wants real quick! :slap:)

Other decision making issues:
    My wife and I work on the vehicles together and we both like doing mods on our vehicles. I know that there are lots of mods available for the ’97, but not sure about the ’98.
    Size might be an issue too. We went from an ’89 Land Cruiser to a ’99 Tahoe and I hated the size! (Plus I did more work on it in one year than the ten years I owned the Land Cruiser! Have you ever had to replace a hood latch???!!! That’s how much the hood was opened! :ban:) Then we went a Tacoma 4Door 4X4, that’s what we took on our hunting trip I talked about. Did great but my wife thinks it’s too small. :D

17. mot

mot

If you like to drive fast, you can always get even more power out of the 100 by putting a supercharger in/on it, too.

Also, I would give a '99 a consideration as it was (I believe) the first year with rear AC option if it got pretty hot where you live.

Just my 2 yen.
    :)
    mot

18. Pitbull

Pitbull

[quote author=lizardking100 link=board=2;threadid=11705;start=msg107509#msg107509 date=1077234626]
    This acronym: IMO means "in my opinion". But I guess when "engineering fact" is stamped on someone's opinion it makes it more better righter. ;)
    [/quote]

I'm not trying to be better righter, I've just heard this and also read it before, can't remember where (sorry I'm old and can't remember where I read/hear things). I doubt anybody really cares since the really important thing is how they are built. You can't go wrong with either the Toyota I-6 or the V-8.

19. Pitbull

Pitbull

DMX84, you will be happy with either one. It's a lot harder to find a nice 80 then it is 100 since 100's are newer. Get one of each!!!

20. DMX84

DMX84

Thanks for the input; I’m thinking towards the ‘98/’99 (with rear locker) because of ride. We want to be able to take it on long trips. My candy ass needs the armrests & cup holders! (Um, I meant my wife needs them!)
    But on a serious note can the 100 go up as steep of a hill as the 80?