Which Fan Should I Use? New or Old.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Threads
62
Messages
5,936
Location
WC, CA
Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm in the process of replacing my fan coupling. I've got the fan and coupling out of the truck and I'm just waiting for the new coupling to arrive in a couple days. My old fan has been working fine (from day 1), but some years ago I had a bad motor mount and some of the fan blade tips are a little frayed from rubbing against the shroud. When this happened I purchased a new fan from SOR and have been carrying it around for about 25 years. Today, when I compare the old vs new fans on the bench I noticed they are not quite the same. Apparently, what I got from SOR (per the Toyota Part number) is for a Canadian Spec FJ60 (plus other variations).

Which fan should I use? I'm leaving for a trip on Saturday (10/10) and I don't think I have time to buy the correct one before I leave.

Thanks, again!

1791159353112.webp
 
The CAN fan -61011 vs the USA fan 61020 also use a different Fan Clutch. I don't know if there's much difference in the CFM they move, but the USA with all its smog crap does run hot. Perhaps the Fan/Fan Clutch combo was spec'd to address that?

I'd get the Aisin FNT-022 (OEM part) and not worry about it. Amazon has it if you need quick delivery.
 
The CAN fan -61011 vs the USA fan 61020 also use a different Fan Clutch. I don't know if there's much difference in the CFM they move, but the USA with all its smog crap does run hot. Perhaps the Fan/Fan Clutch combo was spec'd to address that?

I'd get the Aisin FNT-022 (OEM part) and not worry about it. Amazon has it if you need quick delivery.

Do this, a new fan should not be expensive while an old one can fly apart leading to an expensive repair.
 
Yes. That was my backup plan, but when I checked on Sunday, Amazon delivery to me was after I leave from my October 10 trip. So when I get the new fan clutch (from amazon, later today), I'll install the old fan, then when I'm back home, I'll order a new Aisin fan. I think I saw it on RockAuto for cheaper than Amazon. Thanks!
 
UPDATE: well my Amazon purchase of an Aisin FCT-017 arrived and the coupling on the clutch doesn’t fit my water pump pulley. The picture on Amazon shows that the coupling is colored red, as is the original, but the one I got from Amazon has a beige colored coupling. I think they sent me the wrong item. It came wrapped in a plastic bag inside an Amazon box. The bag had “ready to ship” printed on it. Nothing else. There was no Aisin box and nothing on the clutch assembly except the word Aisin stamped on the pulley. No part number. Pretty disappointing.

I had cleaned up the old one so I put that back on. They both have about the same turning resistance. Earlier today I tried to lock up my original using a heat gun but it didn’t lock up.

I’ll return the one from Amazon and I guess I’ll buy one from someplace else.
 
Yeah. Don’t buy parts from Amazon. They don’t care. Saw a video recently as to why some parts are good and some aren’t when buying from them.

Take fan clutches. They buy them in bulk from all over; OEM suppliers and counterfeiters alike. They store them all together because they are “fan clutches” at the end of the day. That’s it.

Order comes in, person grabs “a” fan clutch, and sends it to you. Nobody knows if it real or counterfeit. Always buy critical parts from known suppliers when you can. Just my $0.02.
 
Back
Top Bottom