Which bumper do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a LX450 (1996) and she needs a new bumper.

As I am based in Africa I have no need whatsoever for a winch - in Africa one can always find 10 strapping lads ready to give a push for a few bucks a head. I have only needed a push once in last 10 years...

I do like the TJM T17 but it has a winch space so that puts me off it. As I will never mount a winch I do not want the bumper to offer that possibility as it ruins the look.

I really like Piak Rayong bumpers but it seems Khun Piak cannot speak English so I cannot obtain pricing from him and all emails are either just Yes or No - a shame as his bumpers are very beautiful.

I also like VPR bumpers but Senhor VPX is also not very good at responding to emails so that is putting them out of play too.

I run the stock height OME 861/862 springs on my rig.

What non-winch bumpers do you recommend?

Thanks

(As I am based in Angola, the idea of a local fabricator is also 100% off the radar).

Why do you want an aftermarket bumper? Do you want clearance? Do you need front end protection? Why not just keep your stock bumper? The only reason to spend $$$ on an aftermarket bumper is to gain the function it performs.

ARB for front end protection. I believe they offer a non-winch variant.

4x4 Labs for clearance. Let him know you have no intention of ever, ever, ever having a winch, and neither will any subsequent owner.

Or are you simply looking for bling?

Last edited:
Hi Mechanist

A truck crashed into my rig ages ago. The bodyshop here are unable to repair the stock bumper satisfactorily and it is now the least tidy item on the vehicle. Toyota of Angola do not stock body parts so I will have to import from overseas whether I go stock or aftermarket. I am after a bit more protection than the stock offers and I do not mind a bit of bling either.

Sounds to me like the ARB non-winch bumper, as mentioned in previous replies, is what you're looking for.

TJM bumper is very simple and elegant with openings for a high-lift jack. The ARB has the hoops for a little more protection but no openings for a high-lift (other than their bolt on option). No help here.

You could also do a Slee front bumper and bolt a cover over the winch plate hole.

IMHO the Slee Short Bus is the perfect front bumper. It is "right".

I do like the Slee Shortbus. Unfortunately, (and I sympathise with Mr Slee) he insists on using UPS. UPS can not reliably deliver to Angola. I can fully understand that as his business grows Mr Slee needs to outsource to various suppliers and hopefully UPS serves him well on this count. UPS will not grow his business in Angola though as it has no Angolan capability, but maybe Mr Slee does not really need Angola!

I do like the Slee Shortbus. Unfortunately, (and I sympathise with Mr Slee) he insists on using UPS. UPS can not reliably deliver to Angola. I can fully understand that as his business grows Mr Slee needs to outsource to various suppliers and hopefully UPS serves him well on this count. UPS will not grow his business in Angola though as it has no Angolan capability, but maybe Mr Slee does not really need Angola!
You can order Slee bumpers from cruiserparts. They ship by freight. That's where I got mine.

For small packages we use UPS. A bumper cannot be sent with UPS even in the states. In order to ship to Angola it would have to be airfreight from our door to the airport.

We do this regularly. However the freight cost normally exceeds the cost of the product.

It would make no difference to try and order it from Cruiserparts. They would just referred to us to give them a freight quote.

Unfortunately there is no economical ways to ship large items internationally especially to Africa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom