Where are you guys getting timing belt parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.squashingrocks.com
Sewell used to be the go-to place but they're out of business. :( I am around 108k, and just called the dealer the previous owner purchased the truck from and was advised the timing belt was not done (contrary to what I was told upon purchase).

My local dealer offers 25% off for online orders, so here's the list:
FYI - Camelback with the IH8MUD/CSC discount is cheaper!
Code:
13505-0F010 IDLER TB                     $ 72.77
13540-50030 13540-50030 TENSIONER TB     $ 48.27
13503-0F010 IDLER TB                     $ 73.03
13568-09070 13568-09070 BELT, TB         $ 45.82
16100-59275-83 PUMP ASSY WATER           $107.30
16346-50010 16346-50010 GASKET, T/STAT   $  3.60
90916-03100 90916-03100 THERMOSTAT       $ 16.70
96761-35035 96761-35035 RING, O          $  2.96
12204-50030 12204-50030 VALVE PCV        $  7.33
90916-02586 90916-02586 BELT, DRIVE      $ 41.87
                                TOTAL    $419.65 + tax

I've decided I should probably put a new Koyo radiator in too (before my OEM one fails), and also do some preventative stuff - valve cover gaskets, new coolant (draining it anyway), etc. I'll keep a running list here with part numbers and prices in case anyone else finds it handy. I am using Toyota parts (appears to be the same part number anyway).
Code:
11213-50031 VALVE COVER GASKET   $ 12.80
11214-50011 VALVE COVER GASKET   $ 12.80
16571-50200 UPPER HOSE           $ 14.91
16572-50190 LOWER HOSE           $ 16.51
Toyota Pink coolant (x4)         $ 64.16
Non-dealer:
24905 WIX Cabin Air Filter       $ 11.69
42476 WIX Air Filter             $ 10.09
A2690 KOYORAD                    $230.21
3764 NGK IRIDIUM PLUG (x8)       $ 49.36

Any other places I should be shopping, and is there anything else I should replace while I have it all apart?

2020 edit:
Having done this on another GX, I would also do the fan bracket (pricing from RockAuto). You can also use the AISIN TKT021 timing components kit instead of the OEM parts above. The Aisin kit provides:
  • AISIN Water Pump
  • Hydraulic Tensioner
  • Koyo Idler Bearing
  • Koyo Tensioner Bearing
  • Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
  • Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings

Code:
AISIN FBT002               $105.79
AISIN TKT021               $164.79

Last edited:
Can Murf @ Camelback beat those prices?

I just talked to Jake over there and he said they were about the same, but I can hit up Murf directly and see (should I give him a call, or PM here? I don't have his info). I'm kinda tempted to pay someone to do it since I'm under some time constraints (moving soon but leaving the truck in Phoenix until my Utah trip next summer)...but ugh @ paying someone that much in labor!

I am a mechanic and I am bringing mine to the dealer. We do their body work so we get such a great deal its not even worth me doing it myself.
If I was passing through Baton Rouge.. :D

I am on the fence about doing it myself or paying someone - it looks rather annoying.

im in the same boat... my garage is full of crap, and i dont have air tools at the house. i could take it up to my father inlaws shop at their place, but i feel like everytime we go there im asking to use his shop to work on my truck and i dont want to seam like "that guy"... or give them the impression thats the only reason we come up there (About an hour and a half drive one way). so im considering taking it to the dealer he works and and paying them to have him do it at work (it helps keep him employed and it done correctly). but then there is a big part of me that says i need to do this so i know how(never done a 4.7, but can do a 3.4 in my sleep -takes me about an hour and a half start to finish)... whats your guys thoughts?

either way im getting my parts through the dealer, i get them at cost.

I might end up doing it myself, as the list of stuff I want to do keeps going. I am reading a lot about radiator failures (mine hasn't yet) so I'm thinking about a new Koyo radiator / new hoses, as well as valve cover gaskets and possibly a high output alternator.

I should probably check the valves too, then the 120k service is out of the way and I can use the opportunity to replace the valve cover gaskets.

I'm reading that you need to use FIPG for the water inlet housing...is that correct? $64 for FIPG..s***, I don't remember it being that much. I'm not sure the stuff I have is still good, as it's a few years old now.

Last edited:
I used the Blue Permatex instead of FIPG, and it worked great.

I got my parts from Amazon (aisin kit) and Sewell for the GX. Then Sewell closed their site, so for my wife's RX330 I got the timing belt parts off Amazon, ebay, and the local Toyota dealer (who was surprisingly cheap).

I also bought the crank pulley holder tool, and it was worth its weight in gold. I'll loan it to you if you want to ship it both ways. Autozone may loan them, but I'm not sure. I borrowed their crank pulley remover, but I didn't need it. The pulley slid off easily.

JLee, I did everything you mentioned except the plugs and valve cover gasket. However, while you're in there you might also consider swapping your alternator, if yours is still original. It'll never be easier than during the timing belt job. I've been reading more about alternator failures than radiator failures lately. Mine went out about 1-2 months after my timing belt change. :doh:

Oh that timing is inconvenient! I have thought about putting a HO alternator in as well - I know you have to remove one of the timing covers, so this would be a really good time. I believe stock is 130 amp; do you think 200 amp would be enough for most cases (winch/fridge etc) or should I go up to 250 amp?

I really appreciate the loaner offer - I will remember that! I'll probably do all this work in December. Is the Aisin kit identical to OEM (pulleys/etc)? This truck is going to take me on very long trips in very remote places, so I want to go OEM-quality.

My understanding is that the Aisin parts are identical to OE, otherwise I would not have used them. Certainly they fit like OE and I could tell no difference upon close inspection of the old and new parts. I was comfortable enough to use them on my GX and my wife's RX. So far, so good.

Hey, what's that puddle under my truck?

I have an Aisin pump in my MR2, but I'm not sure about the pulleys that come with the Amazon/RockAuto kit...

I rebuilt most of my DD (Tercel) with Rockauto/Aisin parts and found them to be of at least OEM quality. I used an Aisin oil pump and water pump.

Aisin makes a lot of the OE parts for Toyota FYI... You just pay more for that fancy red and white box it comes in at the dealer

Yeah, I have an Aisin water pump in my MR2 and you can see where "Toyota" was ground off of the casting. I'm unsure on the idlers that come with the Aisin kit, though.

I used the aisin kit from amazon for my 100 and am using it for the wife's GX as well. There's no discernible difference between what I removed from the truck and the parts in the kit. For both trucks, total for parts was under $1000.

I used the aisin kit from amazon for my 100 and am using it for the wife's GX as well. There's no discernible difference between what I removed from the truck and the parts in the kit. For both trucks, total for parts was under $1000.
Interesting. That's good to know; I might go that route then...

check RockAuto as well

RA has the Aisin kit as well. I'll have to verify they use the same idlers (IIRC RockAuto was Koyo).

I finished up the timing belt tonight. IMO, a lot easier than the 100 series (things are just easier to remove) and it took about 10 hours total with plenty of BSing and breaks thrown in.
I noticed that my timing belt kit was provided by Daytona Toyota for fulfillment of the Amazon order, that may not always be the case though.

I have a Koyo radiator waiting for me, and I plan on doing all this stuff next month when I'm back in AZ.

Would you replace the serpentine belt tensioner while you're in there, or does that not commonly fail?

I'm going to get the Aisin kit with water pump and tensioner, and also do air filter, cabin air filter, and plugs while I'm at it. I can also do a DENSO 2100607 remanufactured alternator for $120 (plus core) while I am in there, which is probably a good idea.

Can you think of anything I missed?

onBRYd3.png

CbGVoJM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom