Wheel spacers for 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm trying to resolve a KDDS rub that annoys me and I know spacers would likely fix it but may cause an issue with the body mount and rocker. 10 mm might be enough to fix the KDSS issue without causing a different issue. 25mm spacers will resolve KDSS but will probably cause the other issue.

Anyone got a set (or just one) of spacers in 5x150 I could test fit (no driving, just turning the wheel to full lock while parked)? I've thought about making a 1/2" spacer out of plywood or using washers to test the geometry. Any others ideas how I could test this w/o buying spacers I may not be able to use?

I have a set of 5 on 150 half inch spacers u can test. I live in blue springs, or at gray industries cruisers on Fri if u wanna pay jess some shop time to see if this fixes ur issue.
These are custom hub centric bora spacers.

16823773209318132487978801516614.jpg

16823773456301472417903746854798.jpg

I have a set of 5 on 150 half inch spacers u can test. I live in blue springs, or at gray industries cruisers on Fri if u wanna pay jess some shop time to see if this fixes ur issue.
These are custom hub centric bora spacers.

View attachment 3306504

View attachment 3306506
Ah man! That’s perfect. Let me figure out how to get them from you. Maybe Friday when we head down to the lake. I’ll txt you when I have a plan. Thanks

U know I'm fairly mobile. Depending on the day. I can toss em in the parts hauler prius , plan to be in the office Wed in leawood

Jess’s place is kinda on the way to the lake for me. It might work pretty good to just swing by on the way down Friday late afternoon.

If you're just mounting a wheel to see if you have clearance, just buy some tubing and cut 3 to 5 pieces of each length you want to try. Or just use nuts as temporary spacers to check fit.

yeah but if Jason wants to run a proper spacer for the weekend or whatever timeframe to see if it really helps.. I'd rather it be safe for wife/kids dog etc..
i have NOT test fit these so i do not know if the lugs are long enough. I just pulled them out of the box/protective shipping saran wrap last night for those pictures.
you are welcome to run them to determine if they will fix the issue. I fully understand they may have a scratch or ding on them afterwards.. And if they help we can figure something out. I think there was a long backorder / wait.. hard to remember, most of the things i've been purchasing have a 12+ week wait which is getting annoying.

Thanks guys. Step one was just to test fit and see what the clearances are while parked. The KDSS rub is worse at suspension neutral. Using some nuts to test that is a good idea but if I can just mount the spacers to check, that seems better. I don’t think I’d run with them but maybe if the test fit works. Then I’d just buy them and order two more for the rear.

I test fitted them after we got down to the lake tonight. I think the 1/2 spacers will work but I’ll definitely need longer studs. There is only about 7/8” of thread w/o the spacers. With the spacers I can’t e be get the lugs started let alone hold the wheel on. Stock thread engagement seems to be only about 1/2”.

I just need to figure out where to get longer studs and how to replace them. Looks like the whole hub has to come off.

I started a deep rabbit hole thread on spacers and extended lugs on the 200 forum. Bottom line is that I’m 100% convinced that wheels do not rely on shear strength if the studs to keep the wheel attached to the hub. Also convinced that the spacers and extended lugs, while not as good as wheels with the actual equivalent offset, are not a big risk.

I started a deep rabbit hole thread on spacers and extended lugs on the 200 forum. Bottom line is that I’m 100% convinced that wheels do not rely on shear strength if the studs to keep the wheel attached to the hub. Also convinced that the spacers and extended lugs, while not as good as wheels with the actual equivalent offset, are not a big risk.

2nd post in that thread is dead on, it's a clamping force. If it gets to the point where you're relying on sheer strength of wheel studs, you've got a problem. That clamping force is what's important. This is why I am not a fan of when Toyota switched to 5 lug wheels. Yes, they're larger studs, and thus you can get the same clamp load as with 6 smaller studs, but that load is spread out amongst less studs, thus any single loose connection puts greater stresses on those that are left in tact, increasing the probability of failure. This is evident and proven out in the class 8 trucking industry when a switch was made amongst a large part of the industry to go from 10 lug to 8 lug hubs. The incidence of "wheel offs" is measurably higher with 8 lug than 10 lug. It's not because 8 lug is inherently more dangerous or weaker, but when you either don't torque to spec, or more likely over-torque with one to many ugga-duggas, the compromised studs now rely more on the uncompromised ones to hold that same clamp load.

Wheel spacers in and of themselves are not inherently dangerous either, however they do put more of a lever on your hub, thus potentially increasing bearing wear. The real risk comes in using cheap spacers with crappy manufacturing tolerances and/or hardware that are more prone to failure. For hub-centric wheels, poor machining can also lead to off-center wheels, which isn't really a safety issue, but will make your ride suck and possibly tire wear suffer.

All that said, I run spacers on my DD, as well as on the rear of my crawler.

This showed up in my youtube feed the other day, and I enjoyed watching it because I'm a dork like that. Starting at 5 min mark explains the shear force of a bolted joint.

these extended thread reach deeper into the wheel to grab more threads. this might be your solution. or longer studs which will take several hours to do right.

these extended thread reach deeper into the wheel to grab more threads. this might be your solution. or longer studs which will take several hours to do right.
I don't think I have a choice on the extended lugs as I can't even get my current Gorilla lug nuts to even get a start on the threads. Doing all 4 wheels with new studs will take me most of a Saturday for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom