Wheel Hub and Rotor ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somehow I ended up with two dofferent front wheel hubs for a disc conversion.

Left One pictured below has 2 bolts to mount the rotor and the wheel studs are pressed through the rotor to retain it to the hub as well. This rotor would have 8 holes.

The Right One pictured has 6 bolts to mount the rotor and the wheel studs are recessed so they do not retain the rotor, only the 6 bolts.

I need to get a matching set so does anyone know what years and vehicles these were used? Is one type better than the other?

I did some searching on mud and it seems like others have said that the rotor with 8 holes might be easier to find and priced cheaper.
wheelhub1.JPG
wheelhub2.JPG
wheelhub3.JPG

The one on the left is the later style...08/80 and on...same as the solid axle mini's...they just attached a solid disc to it, instead of the vented rotor that the Land Cruiser uses...

The one on the right is the early style...09/75 to 07/80.

The later style have rotors that are significantly less monies to purchase....

:beer:

Use the one on the left with LC calipers and FJ40 vented rotors. Here is a pic of the FJ40 vented rotor and calipers on the same hub installed on the solid axle of the toy truck. You will save money.
ventedrotor.jpg

You need to make sure the spindles you have are right. The surface where the bearing rides is a little different on the two .I don't have pics of any right now but maybe someone here does? If you use the later hub on an earlier splindle you won't have as much surface contact and it'l feel like your bearing adjuster nuts are loose.

You need to make sure the spindles you have are right. The surface where the bearing rides is a little different on the two .I don't have pics of any right now but maybe someone here does? If you use the later hub on an earlier splindle you won't have as much surface contact and it'l feel like your bearing adjuster nuts are loose.

Would like to see pics if anyone has them.

Huh?

Never seen that....

Disc brake spindles are disc brake spindles.

:confused:

Thanks for this post. I'm dealing with hub issues now and this clears things up.

Spindles- sor shows a spindle for '75-'90, which supports what Poser is saying. 1 disc brake spindle.

There is only one inner wheel bearing, one outer wheel bearing and one wheel wheel bearing hub seal part number....

:beer:

Speaking of spindles - I need one disc brake spindle - anyone got one in good shape you'd like to part with?

Here you go . LC 78 spindle, and 84 Mini truck spindle. Can you tell which is which?? .................. Ya the one on the left sits higher only because the brass bushing is still installed in it.

One good advice I read about the mini disc conversion was that if you are not going to use the rotor shields ( backing plates I guess) for whatever reason. At least use the part of them the bolts around the spindle . It will put the hub dust seal or whatever you call at the wright distance, better for sealing the back of the hub from mud and dirt.
spindles.jpg

Hi All:

Great thread, guys! Thanks for all the info!

Love a thread that teaches me something new, versus hashing over the same sh*t again and again! :D

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom