Wheel cylinder issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a profusely leaking passenger side FAR rear wheel cylinder that failed a rebuild on my 71 FJ40. I recently purchased 4 new cylinders to rebuild both sides, my fronts were converted to discs a few years back. Today when tearing into the right side, I noticed the new cylinders specified for my 71, don't mach what's on the truck. The existing cylinders have bleeder nipples on both cylinders. The far rear cylinder has a tee-style banjo connection that horizontally connects to the main brake line and a vertical connection connecting to a single 90 deg banjo on the front cylinder. There appears to be only 1 bleeder per side because 1 of the cylinders (per side) has 2 flare connections and no bleeder. The existing banjo connections are 12mm and connections on the replacements are only 10mm threads with the original cylinders have raised bosses where the banjos connect, while the replacements are tapped at the same level. This September 1971 built rig was obviously built with earlier parts or was modified at some point in its life. I bought the cylinders a couple months ago and finally got around to the job. I'm sure the vendor will tell me to stick them.

My question is, if I re-plumb the brake lines, without the original banjos and have only one bleeder per wheel, will it work properly?

No worries...better view of the '76 setup if it happens to help. Both sides were like that - feed to the rear, bleeder to the front.

PXL_20210114_232914107.MP.jpg

@Stevepipeman

September 71 was a crossover month where two different rear brake arrangements were listed in the parts microfiche. Your description, with one bleeder for each cylinder, suggests an "early" arrangement.

Schematic for an "early" 6903 - 7109 rear brake arrangement:

1633823305459.png

Schematic for an "late" 7109 - 8007 rear brake arrangement:

1633823607060.png

The plumbing that @zerotreedelta pictured, above, illustrates the later arrangement.

Last edited:
No worries...better view of the '76 setup if it happens to help. Both sides were like that - feed to the rear, bleeder to the front.

View attachment 2808098
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO SEE! I can set mine up just like that. I'll twist up some new brake lines and be hot as hell.
Thanks a ton for such a great example from your excellent work. I owe you one.
Steve
@Stevepipeman

September 71 was a crossover month where two different rear brake arrangements were listed in the parts microfiche. Your description, with one bleeder for each cylinder, suggests an "early" arrangement.

Schematic for an "early" 6903 - 7109 rear brake arrangement:

View attachment 2808181
Schematic for an "late" 7109 - 8007 rear brake arrangement:

View attachment 2808184

The plumbing that @zerotreedelta pictured, above, illustrates the later arrangement.
You're right, mine is typical of a 70 and earlier. Looks like I can update to the later cylinders if I bend some new lines.
That's for the help.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO SEE! I can set mine up just like that. I'll twist up some new brake lines and be hot as hell.
Thanks a ton for such a great example from your excellent work. I owe you one.
Steve

You're right, mine is typical of a 70 and earlier. Looks like I can update to the later cylinders if I bend some new lines.
That's for the help.
@Stevepipeman

You might save time, $ and effort if you purchased the rear brake jumper tubes from a Toyota dealer.

Tube 47335 is

Tube Wheel Cylinder - Toyota (47335-60011)​

$10.09 list for each at your local dealer (if the parts counter honors list pricing) or cheaper through an online discounter, but shipping could exceed the total price unless you order other things.

1633876323313.png

No worries...better view of the '76 setup if it happens to help. Both sides were like that - feed to the rear, bleeder to the fr

@Stevepipeman

You might save time, $ and effort if you purchased the rear brake jumper tubes from a Toyota dealer.

Tube 47335 is

Tube Wheel Cylinder - Toyota (47335-60011)​

$10.09 list for each at your local dealer (if the parts counter honors list pricing) or cheaper through an online discounter, but shipping could exceed the total price unless you order other things.

View attachment 2808580
Thanks Mark, I just twisted them up myself and put them in. No work of art but functional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom