Wheel came off while on highway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my 91 in to a shop nearby my house for an alignment and tire rotation this past week. On my way to work this AM my wheel came off while driving down the highway. Turns out they somehow forgot to torque my lugnuts on my driver front wheel...I’m kicking myself for not feeling it but somehow I didn’t. Was very lucky no one else on the road and I somehow didn’t lose control.

1F754ED0-CDF2-4522-8A81-0B9AA7467663.jpeg

But I did grind my rotor down quite a bit. As you can see in the photo my knuckle studs are almost ground down to the nuts. Upon further inspection I found my passenger side two front knuckle studs are just not there anymore. I can’t figure out how that would happen from this incident but I know it happens to other people so maybe they’ve been out for a while and I’m just now seeing?

So I’ll replace all the knuckle studs on both sides. The rotors were I think Napa rotors the PO put on so I’ll just go ahead and replace both sides with OEM rotors and pads. The PO told me he had the axle rebuilt about 45,000 miles ago but he didn’t have records and couldn’t confirm what parts were used so I’m thinking since I have it all apart I might as well do that at the same time...but no sign of gear oil in the knuckles so is that overkill?

Anything else I should be looking into?

Just out of curiosity and thinking of other possible explanations, are the studs on that wheel still intact - not sheared off?

Just out of curiosity and thinking of other possible explanations, are the studs on that wheel still intact - not sheared off?
Do you mean the passenger wheel? I thought that was maybe what happened too but looked inside with a flashlight and they definitely came loose and are gone. Can’t think of how this would have caused it unless they were already loose and the jostling around just made them come out completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom