What's your GX MPG? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you were in the Alabama Hills, then you went through Lone Pine and I assume you went up to Whitney Portal to camp?
I actually rolled and totaled my first overland rig coming down through the Alabama Hills while acclimatizing the day before my Mount Whitney climb.

Last edited:
If you were in the Alabama Hills, then you when through Lone Pine and I assume you went up to Whitney Portal to camp?
I actually rolled and totaled my first overland rig coming down through the Alabama Hills after climbing Mount Whitney.

Yep, took Whitney portal road up to Movie road. Camped at at the west part of the 'park'. Then explored several side routes and left via Moffat Ranch Road, then back on to the 395. This was more of a test run for the new to me RTT.

Where and how did you roll your first rig?

Yep, took Whitney portal road up to Movie road. Camped at at the west part of the 'park'. Then explored several side routes and left via Moffat Ranch Road, then back on to the 395. This was more of a test run for the new to me RTT.

Where and how did you roll your first rig?
Ha-ha-ha! We just got a new RRT also back in November! The iKamper. Since we're in San Clemente, we did our first over night test with the tent in San Mateo camp grounds right next to Camp Pendleton, only about four off-ramps from our home. We wanted to be close to home in case we forgot anything of if there were any issues.
No issues!
Loved it!!!
I took it off for the holidays so we can go up to South Lake Tahoe (as mentioned above) and didn't want the extra wind drag and I wanted to throw the skis on top. Now that we're back, I'll probably be putting it back on within the next month or so.

Regarding my roll-over... My dad and I (he did this climb on the day before his 74th b-day!) were coming down from Whitney portal in the morning after spending the night up there acclimatizing to climb Whitney the next day. My rig at the time was an F350 crewcab, see photos below. I was following my Dad down from Whitney Portal and as we were winding through the Alabama Hills going around a corner my right rear wheel went off the pavement and into a very soft sandy shoulder. It caused my truck to pitch and did a 3/4 roll, landing in the creek bed next to the road. Totaled my truck. Had to climb out of my drivers side window. Only had a small scratch on my left hand.
As an engineer I put a lot of thought into that rigs and how to build them, and one thing I learned is keep your CG low. I had too much weight on my rack and my CG was way too high. That's also why if I do any serious four-wheeling with my GX I prefer to NOT have my RRT on.

Also, where are you in SoCal? You can pm me if you don't want to post.
Some pic's of the truck I rolled:

2005-11-Razor Road 036.jpg

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG

37" tires, lockers front and rear, three air compressors, dual batteries, 15,000 lb winch, re-geared, etc. etc. etc...

Last edited:
Ha-ha-ha! We just got a new RRT also back in November! The iKamper. Since we're in San Clemente, we did our first over night test with the tent in San Mateo camp grounds right next to Camp Pendleton, only about four off-ramps from our home. We wanted to be close to home in case we forgot anything of if there were any issues.
No issues!
Loved it!!!
I love most everything about my tent, but the mattress is a bit on the firm side. I'm a side sleeper and it was just too uncomfortable for me. Now looking for solutions to make it more comfortable.

Only had a small scratch on my left hand.

Glad to hear there weren't any serious injuries.

Is there room for a thicker and/or dense mattress that'll still fit and be able to close up your tent?

Is there room for a thicker and/or dense mattress that'll still fit and be able to close up your tent?

There probably is, I'm just unsure of how thick of a mattress I can add and what mattress to get it made out of. At this point I'm thinking of taking the mattress out and adding an Exped Megeamat in there. They are comfortable and I can deflate it if I need to to make sure everything fits inside the tent when closed.

I have a new to me 2010 Lexus GX 460 Premium, all stock and 99% city driving. It's used mainly as a daily driver. 5 fill ups and 1500+ miles so far and it has been consistent at 14 mpg since I got it in December. My commute to work involves going up 1 big hill and like usual Los Angeles, plenty of traffic lights..

Congrats on your new (to you) 2013 GX! I would have imagined you to get a wee better mileage than 14 MPG.

Congrats on your new (to you) 2013 GX! I would have imagined you to get a wee better mileage than 14 MPG.

What would You say is normal for a 2010? What can I possibly do to increase my mpg? I’m a little bit worried what a moderate lift will do to my mpg

Cleghorn? Props for coming down that section, I would only do that with my 80.

No, we skipped this section, the Chute, because of the 3-4 foot drop on a big rock. It was a crazy exciting run. The recent rainfall had washed out the trail making it even more raw and challenging. Here's a compilation of my past off-road runs, the first few clips are from Cleghorn last weekend.

Goodtogo's Past Off-Road Trail Runs

Last edited:
No, we skipped this section, the Chute, because of the 3-4 foot drop on a big rock. It was a crazy exciting run. The recent rainfall had washed out the trail making it even more raw and challenging. Here's a compilation of my past off-road runs, the first few clips are from Cleghorn last weekend.

Goodtogo's Past Off-Road Trail Runs

I was going to say, I felt slightly under guned at the chute in my 80 with 35s and 2 inch lift(which has a lot more clearance than the GX). I’ll be impressed if a GX attempts it, I think it definitely can be done just take some balls.

Very cool run, does look a little more washed out compare to before, Good clips! The dirt looks nice and tacky!

I assume 15 MPG, combined? The best I could muster up was a little over 15 MPG highway, but again, I'm a built-out overlander...
What year is your GX and how many miles?

Best mileage in stock form, 19.9. 99% highway and cruise control.
Best mileage with RTT and loaded with camping gear was around 18. Again mostly all highway and easy on the gas pedal.
Worst so far is around 11-13 in the city.

This past week I’ve been on a road trip. New tires, new sliders, frontrunner roof rack but no tent. 1st tank was 16.0mpg. Tires were run at 40 psi. Oh the second tank I had my tires closer to 34 psi and got 14.3mpg. Not a direct comparison as the driving habits were slightly different, but was curious to see what effect tire pressure had on mileage.

I have been amazed with my last couple fill-ups. I stopped watching my mileage on my binnacle and just kept it on external temperature (or whatever), not paying attention to trying to be soft on the gas peddle and I looked a couple of days ago and I'm getting 16 MPG!!
And this is combined around town and highway! Considering how my rig is built, I'm dancing a jig!

In real life, this of course is only bragging rights... The real money saved is only about $375 over a year.

Found this cool MPG cost savings calculator:
Plug in an average cost of fuel per gallon and average mileage per year, then what the MPG is in one car (or your car before modifications) and the MPG of the second car (or post modifications) and it'll show Monthly savings and Annual savings!
Pretty cool! Albeit, nothing that couldn't be done on an Excel spreadsheet... Just a lot easier.

15mpg w/280mile cruising range after refuel. Which means only 19gal of the tank capacity. Weird. Almost stock. Mostly city driving. 20mpg hwy. both numbers are pretty consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom