what's the scoop on the upcoming Red Canyon trail run? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
Tried to find some details of this Saturdays trail but found little info. What are we looking at here? Is this in Red Canyon Park? What I found was some info on a birding trail, are we going birding too?? :watching: :spy: :wtf: .
OK,OK. Wondering if the details have been worked out yet.

i'm interested too... this will be my first trail with this group as i live in canon city, but would like to know when me and my family could meet in canon, i grew up in red canyon and would love to show the group a couple sweet spots here... i'm hoping you guys are going to check out the seep springs blm area on the back side of red canyon park...

i'm interested too... this will be my first trail with this group as i live in canon city, but would like to know when me and my family could meet in canon, i grew up in red canyon and would love to show the group a couple sweet spots here... i'm hoping you guys are going to check out the seep springs blm area on the back side of red canyon park...

yotaboy,

Which Austin are you? This is Bill Ottersberg. It would be great to have someone familiar with the area show us around the seep springs area. Do you know if the loop at The Bank is open? If so,I would suggest we travel down Shelf Road and start on that trail.

i'm chase.. and yes i believe the loop is open i can go check and make sure tonight... my dad is hoping to come too... all though his land cruisers' wont be ready by this weekend so he will be in a 4runner most likely..

Tried to find some details of this Saturdays trail but found little info. What are we looking at here? Is this in Red Canyon Park? What I found was some info on a birding trail, are we going birding too??

Red Canyon is a city park. It contains some interesting 4WD trails. The main one runs all the way through the city park to BLM ground where there are more trails. Eventually the main track will lead to a "T" with CR69. Go left it will take you to Hwy 50 between Canon City and Hwy 9. To the right will take you to CR 11 in High Park. From there you can continue on to Cripple Creek.

Red Canyon itself has a lot of red rock formations of the same strata that makes up Garden of the Gods.

Red Canyon Park is on what becomes Shelf Road. Just above Red Canyon park are BLM areas called "The Bank" and "Sand Gulch". Both have developed campgrounds and there is a nice loop trail between The Bank and Sand Gulch.

The trails are just rough enough to be interesting and not much traffic.

Some pics of a trip we made with Bill O. Here is the end of one of the side trails out of Red Canyon. It runs out on a promontory where the cap rock has crumbled away:

RS1404.jpg

This is from the Bank to Sand Gulch loop. Found a Ford with a wheel alignment problem:

RS1378.jpg

yeah that upper picture is from "Seep Springs" blm area, super excited to meet all of you

I lived in Canon City until this fall. Don't think we ever met.

Have you poked around any of the side trails off of Temple Canyon Road? One in particular goes way back in and gets close to the south rim of Royal Gorge. Its called FR6100 as I recall. Going west on Temple Canyon road the entrance is on the right and has a seasonal gate. Not far from South Webster Park.

I lived in Canon City until this fall. Don't think we ever met.

Have you poked around any of the side trails off of Temple Canyon Road? One in particular goes way back in and gets close to the south rim of Royal Gorge. Its called FR6100 as I recall. Going west on Temple Canyon road the entrance is on the right and has a seasonal gate. Not far from South Webster Park.
Yes you used to be able to go up the south side off the road and get all the way up to the mines on the side of the mountains.... that was my favorite but it’s closed off now... but yes I am familiar with that area... good little trail just wish it took u out somewhere instead of dead ending

I have heard a couple of meeting spots. For those coming from the springs area I heard some folks are meeting at the Safeway on S. Nevada. I have also heard that Coyote Coffee in Penrose is another meeting spot. I have not heard any times for meeting yet.

Time for planning this is drawing near.

Anyone can be a trip leader. If anyone knows the area well, please feel free to take lead, and show us around. :)
Start a thread on the main page with a meeting time and place.
The standard meet for South runs is the Safeway on the corner of S Nevada and E Cheyenne Road, up in the corner of the parking lot, closest to, and overlooking that intersection.
CB channels is normally 4
HAM channel 146.580
Out of town meets are usually earlier, 7:30 or 8:00 meet.
Not sure if everyone wanted to go down hwy 115 to Canon City, or through Cripple Creek down Shelf road.

I'd be interested in this one, if someone is going to lead it. I'm sure I'm not familiar enough with the area.

i'm chase.. and yes i believe the loop is open i can go check and make sure tonight... my dad is hoping to come too... all though his land cruisers' wont be ready by this weekend so he will be in a 4runner most likely..

Did you have a chance to check out the Sand Gulch <-> Bank Loop?

i did not get a chance to drive up there... been trying to get the car ready, but i got a yes from my dad that it was open and i also checked blm's website which is updated pretty frequently for bad weather and it lists it open. i cant think of any reason it would be closed, its normally only closed if there is snow or mud on the trail.

Well, I am in, I will see ya at the Safeway mentioned above. (Between 7:30 and 8)

I'm ok being the odd man in a Taco. :)

I have to back out. I was in process of prepping the 60 and found out a contractor will be here working Friday and Saturday.

Have a good time.

Pikes Peak in the distance from FR5830B in Seep Springs BLM out of Red Canyon Park:

006_RS.jpg

Rock formations, Red Canyon Park:

009_RS.jpg

If you're in Victor and are hungry, it's good grazing at the Gold Camp Deli & Bakery.

VICTOR_CO_GOLD_CAMP_DELI_RSFP.jpg

ok so i'm really interested in this trip... really hoping someone will chime in on a meeting place and time i know someone said they will be at safeway at 7:30... but if someone could confirm a time for getting into canon that would be cool... i would lead if we need be... but i'm not an active member of the group either so idk what your stand point is on all that... anyways if someone would verify that would be awesome! thanks, Chase

Anyone who is planning to attend this should post up. I would suggest PM’ing to swap numbers with Yotaboy, to set up a meeting time in Canon City. It sounds like the interest is in place, but the coordination is missing.

@yotaboy - what are the trails like out there? Anything technical? Mostly scenic? I’ve run the Bank Loop, but not Seep Springs or Red Canyon.
I will talk with the family tonight, see what is happening this weekend. I had not put much thought into going, but I love finding new areas, so this may be on my radar.

I'm in. Does anyone have preferences for how to get there? If we go Hwy 115, we can be there in @ one hour and meet yotaboy and those from Pueblo, in Canon City. If we go the scenic route on Shelf Road, it will take longer and can meet up at The Bank.

So the difficulty on the other trails is similar to bank maybe a little more technical but any stock 4x4 will get everywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom