What You Learned ........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So without a doubt one of the best things that comes from wheeling outings like the one earlier today (aside from the great company) is that it really helps me find the things that are lacking in my rig or tool setup. These informal outings are a great way to assess your wants and needs and start planning how you want to setup your rig for the coming year. So, I thought I would start this thread so that everyone could share the things they learn from there outings in order to better educate the group. Here's what I learned today.......

1) I was initially disappointed that I had forgot all about getting a set of bleeders for my tires. Damn, have to add those to the list I thought as I reached for my trusty screwdriver to get started on the air down. Luckily @milemarker60 let me borrow one of these http://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB505-E-...=1451876507&sr=1-1&keywords=arb+tire+deflator and it was fantastic once he showed me how to use it. Aired down very quickly and precisely. I was super impressed by the quality and am planning on ordering one.

2) Once again I was reminded that I had no winch damper. Unfortunately this cost one of the Mike's a coat ! The reason I don't have one is because i've never been impressed with the overly expensive yet cheap looking ones that you can find from all the major vendors. So, instead, i'm thinking about getting one of these canvas tool rolls and loading some of my spare wrenches in it Amazon.com: Dickies Work Gear 57007 Grey/Tan Small Wrench Roll: Automotive . Should be able to wrap it around the winch line, and it would have plenty of weight to act as a damper. For me this would be an excellent dual purpose piece of kit.

3) On board air. As much as I enjoyed relying on the air compressor back at the main building, and as much fun as it was to slog around in the mud going from tire to tire, it would have been even more fun to pull over on the rocks and air up from my own rig. As this is probably going to be expensive I will have to research my options further.

I'm interested to hear what others have picked up from there outings......

I learnt a lot today, this was my first off road experience and I must say that looking back some of it was bit scary but exciting. My biggest fear are roll overs and under carriage damage (transmission, oil pan etc). The most scary moment was going down the hill where the car was tending to slide.

Here is something I learnt today:
  1. How to correctly put the LC into LOW. I still am not sure if the central differential was working or not. Last time I was trying that with Robbie in Denver and I heard a loud click when the diff locked. Today I didn't hear any sound like that.
  2. Braking on the steep icy hill is not good idea
  3. Sometimes without lockers all is left is momentum
Even tho that I am more exploration type of guy then rock crawler I really enjoyed today event and thank for your support :)

Jorge

1. The coat will go in the washing machine and be like new again.
2. I ordered the little Bao Feng HT radio last night and a better antenna. Studying online for the license.
3. Having the right gear helps. Having friends who know how to use it is even better.

Crunchy snow gets packed to very slick ice after about 3 or 4 vehicles passage on a steep incline and requires winching an unlocked 80 where a locked 80 will struggle but make it.

I"still"H8MUD in the winter...even a bigger pain in the a$$ to clean rig when it's below freezing.

Ask @Robkc to make Xmas cookies again next year. The greenies were spectacular. Must have been made with Soylent and plenty of gluten so no joy for @2fpower.

Aerodynamics of bob'ing exhaust for 4x4Labs bumper not ideal. After cruising home at 3200 'ish RPM the lower right rear plastic fender moulding melted. Better spend some time in the wind tunnel with some tailpipe variations to test.

Removing the radio before a road trip makes for some great conversation time with your teenager. Assuming they are behind the wheel thus unable to text, tweet, snap, or whatever.

Learned that if you use the ARB valve core puller to deflate your tires, you should probably use an actual valve core tool to check them for tightness after you air back up. Came out of the station this morning and the PS rear was on the rim do to the valve core loosening up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom